Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjaster View Post
I was on the ski team in college at Tennessee. MC gave our team a new boat every year...pretty sweet deal.

Attachment 89590

In the summer of '02 I was hired by MasterCraft and given the best summer job in the history of the world. I was tossed the keys to the Pro Tour X-Star and a Cadillac Escalade EXT and I pulled the boat to the Tour stops. Here was my "rig":

Attachment 89591

In just the month of July that year, I drove something like 7,000 miles and hit 19 states. I worked the Team MasterCraft VIP tent at the events, met tons of pros, watched great riding, partied when necessary and had one of the two most memorable summers of my life.

Needless to say, it got into my bloodstream pretty heavy that year. I've since owned two MC's and will never own something else.
okay - I hate you..
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '02 X-Star. Previous: '98 SportStar, '89 ProStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
okay - I hate you..
You aren't the first person to tell me that.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjaster View Post
You aren't the first person to tell me that.
Yeah but were they sincere..like I am...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91 Prostar 190 - 454HO
My grandpa had an opportunity in the early 50s to buy a piece of land in the little-known area of Okoboji, IA. He was a minister, and the church he was affiliated with had a big camp right on the lake. The camp owned about 100 cottages where the campers stayed until 1953 when they built dorm-style housing for the kids. They offered the cottages and land to the churches ministers first, and since my grandpa and grandma hated the water, they chose the cottage and piece of land the farthest from the water, but on a golf course instead. (Million dollar mistake) My father then spent his summers up at the cottage, but he didn't swim or boat either. Fast forward to 1984 when I am born, and I begin spending my summer vacations at the family cottage as well. We played golf and rode bikes around the area until 1995 when we finally bought our first boat. Brand new Rinker 180 with the I-4 engine. We got it over labor day weekend, so didn't use it much that first year. The next summer I was 12 and my sister was 9, and we both learned to ski at Okoboji. I convinced my dad to buy me a slalom ski for my 15th birthday, and I have not looked back since. My skiing was limited to 3-4 times a year for many years. Last summer I happened to meet a nice older guy at the winery where I work. He was barefoot and sporting a Connelly shirt, driving a topless Jeep with his wife. I asked if he skied, and he said "oh yeah, me and 6 guys ski every week. Show up at the river on Thursday and we will give you a pull"
So I showed up, and realized these old guys were way out of my league ability wise when I saw the shiny Gekko and pile of $800 skis. Turns out 4 of the 6 guys owned a ski boat, and they rotate weeks. I was tired of not having my own, so I did some research and found Mastercraft to be my #1 choice. Now ive got the 91 PS190 sitting and waiting for the snow to melt.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrighton View Post
My grandpa had an opportunity in the early 50s to buy a piece of land in the little-known area of Okoboji, IA. He was a minister, and the church he was affiliated with had a big camp right on the lake. The camp owned about 100 cottages where the campers stayed until 1953 when they built dorm-style housing for the kids. They offered the cottages and land to the churches ministers first, and since my grandpa and grandma hated the water, they chose the cottage and piece of land the farthest from the water, but on a golf course instead. (Million dollar mistake) My father then spent his summers up at the cottage, but he didn't swim or boat either. Fast forward to 1984 when I am born, and I begin spending my summer vacations at the family cottage as well. We played golf and rode bikes around the area until 1995 when we finally bought our first boat. Brand new Rinker 180 with the I-4 engine. We got it over labor day weekend, so didn't use it much that first year. The next summer I was 12 and my sister was 9, and we both learned to ski at Okoboji. I convinced my dad to buy me a slalom ski for my 15th birthday, and I have not looked back since. My skiing was limited to 3-4 times a year for many years. Last summer I happened to meet a nice older guy at the winery where I work. He was barefoot and sporting a Connelly shirt, driving a topless Jeep with his wife. I asked if he skied, and he said "oh yeah, me and 6 guys ski every week. Show up at the river on Thursday and we will give you a pull"
So I showed up, and realized these old guys were way out of my league ability wise when I saw the shiny Gekko and pile of $800 skis. Turns out 4 of the 6 guys owned a ski boat, and they rotate weeks. I was tired of not having my own, so I did some research and found Mastercraft to be my #1 choice. Now ive got the 91 PS190 sitting and waiting for the snow to melt.
great story!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
Started skiing when I was 10. Mom actually grew up waterskiing. For a middle class cajun country girl from Avoyelles parish that was pretty special. My grandfather had a slight boat addiction. He built his first boat himself I am still looking for pictures of it.

Anyway I learned to ski behind my dad's 1986 Bayliner bass/ski rig with a Merc 90. I slalomed for the first time when I was 14. A couple years later I skiid behind a coworker of my mother's brand new 1994 Prostar 205. Mr. Harold still has that boat. He was I think in his later 40's or early 50's and his kids were out of the house and he was always looking for someone to go with him. So, my dad was all to eager to relinquish his duties of hauling me around.

Dreamed of owning my own MC since that first ride. My wife and I bought our first MC in 2009. A really hard used 1997 ProStar 190, affectionately known on here as LittleFuss. We let her go to Georgia this past month. We got in exchange with a pile of cash a 2004 Maristar 230 VRS.

The rest I hope will be an awesome history...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFuss View Post
Started skiing when I was 10. Mom actually grew up waterskiing. For a middle class cajun country girl from Avoyelles parish that was pretty special. My grandfather had a slight boat addiction. He built his first boat himself I am still looking for pictures of it.

Anyway I learned to ski behind my dad's 1986 Bayliner bass/ski rig with a Merc 90. I slalomed for the first time when I was 14. A couple years later I skiid behind a coworker of my mother's brand new 1994 Prostar 205. Mr. Harold still has that boat. He was I think in his later 40's or early 50's and his kids were out of the house and he was always looking for someone to go with him. So, my dad was all to eager to relinquish his duties of hauling me around.

Dreamed of owning my own MC since that first ride. My wife and I bought our first MC in 2009. A really hard used 1997 ProStar 190, affectionately known on here as LittleFuss. We let her go to Georgia this past month. We got in exchange with a pile of cash a 2004 Maristar 230 VRS.

The rest I hope will be an awesome history...
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 205, 1995, 350 V8
Good idea for a thread, figured I would share my MC story since I have a few minutes to kill.

I come from a big Irish family from the south burbs of Chicago. We grew up taking family vacations to Tomahawk Wisconsin, which was started by my Grandparents in the 60s. My Grandpa (Jim Sr.)ended up buying a 1972 Sea Star, sky blue, closed bow, 4 cylinder. It was a beautiful boat. The memories made with that boat are priceless. It was sold 10+ years ago, I admit that if I ever found it, I'd buy it regardless of the condition.

On vacation, we spent the entire day by the lake, everyone ski'd, my parents, aunts/uncles, cousins etc. I cant remember the first time I jumped on our trainer but do remember slalom skiing (getting up on 1) when I was 12. It was always a good time had by all.

While we didnt have a MasterCraft growing up, I was always mesmorized by them. The power, style, sound, etc. Each summer growing up I'd call MasterCraft for brochures and catologs. We'd go to the Kawhamot Ski Show and my focal point was always "which" MC they had that year. Having an MC was dream of mine for quite some time.

After putting myself through school and with a couple years of work under my belt, when I was 25 I felt that it was time. After scouring the midwest, I bought a 95 Prostar 205 and the rest has been history. I then bought a little lake house a year after in what I considered a distressed market in 2010. I make the point that the house was bought for the boat, not vice versa. We've put several hundred hours on the boat and to this day I still get chills with each turn of the key.

While we dont take our annual family trip, we still congregate at our little place in SW MI whenever we can. Different location with family additions all around....but still the same idea of spending time on the lake.

We're really excited this year because we'll be introducing our 8 month old son (Jim-Jim IV) to everything. I admit to getting a rather tough strand of cabin fever this winter becuase of this. I can't wait to see his reaction to our MC, the engine rumble, his hands on the steering wheel,honking the horn, the excitement of the first ride of the year and the sadness of the last fall ride, etc. I can go on and on. I can't deny our first ride with him on Daddy's lap will be an emotional one to say the least.

When he's older we'll have our "boat" discussion over a beer or two on our beach and I'll explain the things our MC represents to me. The idea of coming from very little and working very hard to get to where we are now will be thoroughly discussed. He'll know to appreciate the finer things in life we've been lucky to have. All good things come with hard work. I hope that he embraces that it all comes with being "Held to a Higher Standard."

Sorry - this post may not do justice to the entire story, rather it's an abstract to book that has many more chapters to come!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
I love how the stories here show that other people consider machines to be an integral part of the family fabric, just as I do. There are *ahem* some members of my family who do not understand why, when I bought a boat, only one brand was ever an option. And they certainly don't get why I would actively seek out one that is now 29 years old!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I love how the stories here show that other people consider machines to be an integral part of the family fabric, just as I do. There are *ahem* some members of my family who do not understand why, when I bought a boat, only one brand was ever an option. And they certainly don't get why I would actively seek out one that is now 29 years old!
You guys and your new boats.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com