Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Here are some pics (i hope). Thanks for all the replys. I'm pretty mechanical - I've rebuilt my snowmobile a couple times and work on friends sleds. I also work on a couple of outboards I own, and my 04 Cummins. Between good websites like this one, manuals, and YouTube, I'm pretty confident I can figure out and repair most issues. The guy wants what I feel is a premium for the boat, so I need to make sure there are minimal issues with the drivetrain. He is wanting $6,800, and I believe he will be fairly firm on that price. NADA average retail is around $5,100. In looking at other adds across the country and judging from some of the crap out there, I don't think his price is too far out of line considering the condition, if the motor checks out to be in the same condition. What do you guys feel on the prices? I know there are several of these boats in the area in what I consider "trashed" condition that are asking for $7k. Other than some staining on the carpet and no decals on the transom, this one really looks like brand new. Thanks again for the help!
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Boat looks clean but with sitting there are concerns. Also, as I said earlier, there will be a similar boat on the market here soon that there would be no concerns and I dont think it would be a whole bunch more money. I can put you in contact with the future seller if you want. Just PM me.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
pop the risers off see if they are still clear. compression test. all that good stuff... My fear would be she would check out fine - then when she's under load and hot - that's when the leaks will come.

Double D may have a better boat for ya.... or something to bargain with....
Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I've been called a lot of things, most of which would be censored here, but I think this is the first time I have been called sage.
sage....maybe it was an auto-correct mishap...
Old 02-03-2013, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 mastercraft prostar 190
I don't know what area you're from but ultimately it's gonna come down to what you're comfortable paying for the boat.it looks to be in decent condition cosmetically but the engine is a big deal. I would do a compression check and would definitely have to test drive it before paying the 6800 asking price. That is at the upper end of the scale and the boat needs to be in very good running condition for that. There are two ps190's in my area now one is a powerslot with 326 hours and u could pick it up for 5800.the other is a 1:1 that needs some interior work but runs extremely well with 600 hours for 4500. I would ensure that the boat runs and is in good mechanical condition and then I would make him an offer that you're comfortable with. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
If the motor checks out that boat is priced pretty close. I would try to haggle a bit over the carpet but it looks pretty dang clean. I have a very similar boat and it was pristine at purchase. And I will tell you I paid more than 6800.... Not by much though and like I said mine needed nothing.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 PM

7K for this boat makes me a happy camper with my young 1995 - that's why we love our MC's
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
With an interior that is in as good shape as that one appears to be, you're already ahead of the game since a big chunk of change can be dropped on a new interior. Carpet is a much less costly item to upgrade and can be DIY. Just depends on taking a chance that you won't be surprised with some major motor repairs. If you could rule out salt-water use and any major engine issues, it may be worth it. Heck, I've seen folks buying 'project' boats on this forum for several thousand and then having to completely refurbish every aspect of them, ie. hull, interior, motor, and transmission when clearly the amount spent could never be recovered when sold, and taking a heck alot of effort along the way (not that there is anything wrong with that!). I've got an '88 with identical motor (owned for 15 years). It has been very durable and trustworthy. If you wait long enough, someone else may make the decision for you though.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Ha, I was trying to figure out who TMMC is.....

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
I would suggest a test drive and/or test ski/board behind the boat. I would also try and do this with the boat 'cold' as in not started before you arrive. Look/listen for the obvious 'bad signs' - hard starting, excess smoking, water in the bilge after running, temp should stay between 140-180 depending upon t'stat, listen for strange noises, etc. Compression test wouldn't hurt, but with no obvious signs of trouble on a good test drive not sure I'd demand it. I would also suggest inspecting the running gear - tracking fins, rudder, shaft and condition of the hull in general. Any signs of damage, bent fins, hull cracking (including spider cracks), or gel coat repair I'd be worried.
That boat is missing the rear decals - seems odd for everything else to be so pristine. Can't tell but also looks to have pinstripe on side removed(between gel colors).
IMO - these boats are bullet-proof, pretty simple machines. If it appears to be in good mechanical condition, and a test drive checks out - you like the boat, go for it. I'd rather spend $6800 on a boat I can enjoy now. Be sure and check the condition of the tires. Lots of stories on here on tire blowouts on low-mileage tires. Wheel bearings, and all the usual trailer things should be inspected as well. My boat has a single axle trailer, the tandem might be worth a little more too, not sure. If the test drive throws up some red flags either delve further into the issues and negotiate the price or walk away, there are lots of good MC out there! Good Luck!
Somewhere between SML and LKG