Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
nice work
Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Always turns out to be more than what you think doesn't it? Keep plugging along.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
TT Regular

LakeOZ-

How did you fiberglass over top of the exsisting wood panels that were weak and springy? I currently have all the panel in front of the dog house and behind the dog house out. Never fiberglassed anything before, but pretty handy with just about anything.

Just looking for a quick breakdown of the steps, the amount of time it took (not the full carpet).

Just finished my adjustable height rear seat, the 750 LB fat sac fits perfectly under it, just need to fix this WOOD before installing it all into the boat.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
Great work!! Way to keep another TriStar alive!!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 and 1998 Baha Cruiser Mach 1 290
The only floor board that was springy was the one furthest forward in between the pass thru. I did not glass over the top I removed the panel and removed the bottom of it because I could tell the wood was rotten see the pictures in post # 2 and 3. The wood was all rotted so I removed it all and put new wood inside and fiber glassed over that several layers until it felt solid. I kept turning it top side down to the ground and walked on it until it felt solid.
I guess if I could give you some advice is that the sides are sort of beveled to match the tray it fit in, try to get it to fit in the best you can, and so there are no gaps when you put the board in the tray, mix up a good batch of resin and pour it in to secure the wood and fill any gaps there maybe under neath where the wood meets the top of the tray, it will ooze out the edges but from what I could tell this was a good thing just clean as you go it will give the best fit and then put something on top of the board while the resin drys. I let that dry for a day or two before I started to lay fiberglass on top and seal the edges as best you can. Sand between each layer of fiberglass. For the fiber glass I just followed the directions on the bottle.

I took several days letting the layers dry was not in a hurry and had other stuff to do while it was drying.

I never used fiber glass before this and I didn't find that it was too difficult, if anything a little messy and took some time to get it all done but again I wasn't in a big hurry.
Get lots of gloves as it tends to get messy. Other than the resin and fiber glass I used some old disposable bowls for mixing and get several cheap disposable chip paint brushes, home depot or lowes has them for like .49 cents gonna use several of them unless you clean them between each layer.

To remove the wood I removed the panel cut out all the old wood with chisels and razor blades with a scraper and then sanded it smooth when it was almost all out.
For the last layer to cover the fiber glass top layer as you can see in post # 5 I used some of the Flex Seal as seen on TV just because I had a can laying around so that it was black and sealed the edges but I doubt it was necessary.

The other two panels if they are springy I did not take them apart because mine were in good shape, I think the other panel where the ski pole goes through seems to be the same process, but the one rear of the engine does not seem to have any wood in it as far as I could tell.

Good luck with your project let me know if I missed anything.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

got some work done lately.. Got the stereo all wired up and testes to make sure it was working..Got the passenger side almost all buttoned up..
Good the word that my seats should be ready next week.. Decals are on order..Got new exhaust vent hose..So tomorrow will be the driver side and screw in all the floor panels and the two panels under the dash..Install new Drink/Beer holders and fire extinguisher and the other side of the windshield..Thinking of getting some of the new dash panels that I have seen on here and other sites..
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
looking good...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeoz tristar View Post
got some work done lately.. Got the stereo all wired up and testes to make sure it was working.
Ouch. That must have hurt.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Got a little bit of work done yesterday pulled it out into the driveway weather was nice.. got some cleaning done, sealed up the back rub rail thought there may have been some water seeping in so I sealed all the up with 3M 4200, went to reinstall the bilge pump thru hull fitting and tightened it too tight and it cracked from the inside..Have to wait a few days to get the new one.. Delayed the rest of the panel installs until I get the seats back (hopefully this week they will be delivered), the rear arm rests need to be put back on before the combing sections, my arms are not that long. Should have it ready before too long..Was really hoping I could get it backed into the water to make sure there was no leaks with everything I have done before securing the flooring sections. Thought since I got the quick drains put on and I could drain it and put it back in the garage until I get it out for real and put it back on the lift, but the water level is down and the boat ramp two doors down did not have enough water to float it.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

A little before and after..
Got the pieces back from the shop today started to install most of it, then when I got tired I set them in place to see what they looked like.
I know they dont look as good as if I had everything replaced but as the title states I was on a budget and think it can out really good considering I spent $850

Still have to replace the carpet around the dog house..still got some screws to turn..Hopefully the last of the snow is gone and will be in the water soon.
Attached Images