Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Question on boat that has been sitting around

I have been looking for an 87-89 Prostar for a few weeks and finally found an 89. The interior and exterior are both in immaculate shape - almost too good of shape for a 24 year old boat. The motor has just under 500 hours, and the last registration sticker is from 2005. The guy selling it has never ran the boat, he traded a truck for it and is now looking to sell the boat since he has 2 others already. He claims the boat was previously owned by a boat mechanic and was ran (with no valid registration) for a couple of weeks at the end of the season.

My question is - what should I check on the motor and tranny? I will do a test drive and a compression check. Is there anything else to look for with a boat that has been sitting for potentially 8 years? The motor and bilge were just as clean as the rest of the boat and there was no rust anywhere. I hate to pass up an oppurtunity at such a well preserved boat, but am afraid of what is in the motor with it sitting for so long. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by half a can View Post
I have been looking for an 87-89 Prostar for a few weeks and finally found an 89. The interior and exterior are both in immaculate shape - almost too good of shape for a 24 year old boat. The motor has just under 500 hours, and the last registration sticker is from 2005. The guy selling it has never ran the boat, he traded a truck for it and is now looking to sell the boat since he has 2 others already. He claims the boat was previously owned by a boat mechanic and was ran (with no valid registration) for a couple of weeks at the end of the season.

My question is - what should I check on the motor and tranny? I will do a test drive and a compression check. Is there anything else to look for with a boat that has been sitting for potentially 8 years? The motor and bilge were just as clean as the rest of the boat and there was no rust anywhere. I hate to pass up an oppurtunity at such a well preserved boat, but am afraid of what is in the motor with it sitting for so long. Thanks for the help.
Depending on geographical location of the boat; leaks from cracks in the engine block or heads from poor or no winterization. Salt water use from a coastal state or coastal proximity. Salt or brackish water is not my preference of legacy use. Worse case with this deal is that you drop in a new or rebuilt engine.
Look at the engine oil (on the stick) for water in the oil (crack somewhere). Look at the transmission fluid in the same way.
Magnet to check for JB Weld repairs (typically from crack repair from poor winterization). Magnet doesn't stick? Something else is there. I usually check each head for this type fake repair.
Carb performance, starting of ease or not when engine is hot. Gasket leaks. Don't pay a ton of money for a great deal. You can sink another $5K into a boat easily enough on top of the 'great deal' price if it's trashed out. All sunken costs too.

Slipping or clunky transmission performance. Smell the fluid for a burnt smell or water contamination.

On and on and on...

next!

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
The first thing I would do is pull the plugs and advance the engine by hand with a wrench on the crank. A stuck or nearly stuck piston could have catastrophic results even with a starter motor. If you have or can get a scope, inspect the cylinders through the plug holes for rust. All can look great from the outside but bad on the inside. Not a deal breaker if fixed.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I know a guy on here who is about to sell a garage queen 88 ProStar 190, blue and cream. Keep your eyes open.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
... You can sink another $5K into a boat easily enough on top of the 'great deal' price if it's trashed out. All sunken costs too.
The thing is, you can sink $5k into a well preserved boat too. All sunken costs. Now alot of that can be "upgrades" if you will, but there is great deal of stuff that "can be/needs to be" replaced on a 20+ year old boat.

Not everyone has the proper level of anal retentiveness (AKA MCOCD).

After all, you will be out on the water with your family in this thing. You don't want it to break down / and or sink with you on it.

The longer you plan to/decide to hold onto any boat (toy), the longer the costs amortize out as well. As the sage TMMC pointed out recently, we all walk the line on balancing present "needs" and future resale.

My .02

Keeping in mind that a brand new MC 190/197 is well north of $60k new. Its all relative in my mind.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I know a guy on here who is about to sell a garage queen 88 ProStar 190, blue and cream. Keep your eyes open.
Ill second that.... The boat he refers to is mint....Almost as clean as mine....

Depends on where your located though as this boat will be in Ohio.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by half a can View Post

ding..ding...you're almost too good says it all.... show us pictures and and let's hear her run.

8 years sitting around...seals are probably in poor shape. Get a 5 gallon bucket and run it. When was the fluid in the tranny changed last.

I can just imagine the crud sludge in the motor/tranny from just sitting for 8 years. I took apart my 2 HP - has't ran for 5 years - couldn't believe the crap that came out... cleaned it up put new gaskets in and got it running.

Good news it's carbed so no ECU to deal with. Pictures, price... and what's your repair/restrore/rennovate dollar threshold once you buy it. How much can you fix yourself.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Rubber parts will be the most affected from sitting. Engine and transmission seals, valve cover gaskets. A carb rebuild should be factored in as well as removing the fuel tank for a cleaning. Your decision should factor in whether or not you can do this work yourself, or if you have to take it in to the shop for work. This really sounds best purchased by someone who can do the work themselves.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
The thing is, you can sink $5k into a well preserved boat too. All sunken costs. Now alot of that can be "upgrades" if you will, but there is great deal of stuff that "can be/needs to be" replaced on a 20+ year old boat.

Not everyone has the proper level of anal retentiveness (AKA MCOCD).

After all, you will be out on the water with your family in this thing. You don't want it to break down / and or sink with you on it.

The longer you plan to/decide to hold onto any boat (toy), the longer the costs amortize out as well. As the sage TMMC pointed out recently, we all walk the line on balancing present "needs" and future resale.

My .02

Keeping in mind that a brand new MC 190/197 is well north of $60k new. Its all relative in my mind.
I've been called a lot of things, most of which would be censored here, but I think this is the first time I have been called sage.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 mastercraft prostar 190
Do you have pics of the boat? Please keep us posted! If u end up passing on it I would be interested if the price is right. I'm always up for another project!