Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Bluetooth for playing music from ipod?

Was planning on updating my ipod connection to upgrade from the mini phone jack on top to using the raw digital data from the charging jack connection for better sound. Got to thinking it would be really great to not have to fumble with a wire connection. Has anyone used a Bluetooth adapter to feed the rca's input rather than use a cord? I understand some newer head units have this capability but didn't want to spend money since I really never use the radio unit.

Thanks
Ross
Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
The sound quality for me is in this order:

1. HDMI connection or Fibre Digital connection

2a. iPod or USB type connection. I prefer the iPod specific connector.

2b. SD card, gets a lower ranking because they usually have a clumsy interface (not as slick as an iPod)

2c. MicroSD generally slower access speeds, temperamental devices that don't multi-task very well. Getting better, still not as good as SD, but I haven't tinkered with this for a while.

3a. The old CD spinning in the deck.

3b. RCA type connection

4. WiFi streaming

5a. It depends... My phono 3.5mm jack was ok in my old boat, the cables were problematic. If I had a Bluetooth connection I think it would have been closer to or better than the 3.5 due other wear/tear problems I had.

5b. Generally speaking, Bluetooth won't be as good as a phono 3.5. This allows you to control the volume from the iPod and gets rid of the cable problems.

6. FM modulator

Your mileage will vary based on the quality of the devices and cables used. There is a business case to replace the deck when you start looking at better quality cables, Bluetooth adapters .

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 02-01-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
I use this in my boat, hooked up to my AUX input on my Alpine stereo. It has the fm antenna connections as well as RCA. Works great with my iphone, for wireless music streaming.

http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISFM22...mple+bluetooth
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I have one of these in my truck and boat. Sound quality is good. I can't tell the difference between wired and the bluetooth connection. It takes usb power, which is 5v. I hacked up an old mini usb phone charger and put a regular usb connection on the end and hardwired it to a spare 12v switch on the dash.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Wetsounds has a bluetooth adapter coming out in a couple of months. It is supposed to have volume control, 5V pre-outs, and support high quality codecs.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
The best part about bluetooth is you don't have to be in the boat to change music or volume.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 05
I-simple works great in my boat
Old 02-01-2013, 07:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

I went off the deep end there... I priced one for me current model CMD6, it was about 175.00 ...

http://www.amazon.ca/Clarion-BLT370-.../dp/B000UC158O (not what you're looking for)

You can buy various kits for $25-100 ... Again I think mileage varies, above posts have validated the quality and product.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs X2
So I can can buy a head unit that plays music from my iPhone via bluetooth? No cable?

Its time for a new stereo for the boat, can anyone recommend a unit like this?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

The options...

1. Buy a device that connects to the existing old stereo RCA inputs (or 3.5mm female phono input) on one end and supports A2DP Bluetooth audio streaming. Within this option, you can buy devices that are self powered that have rechargeable batteries built in OR others you'd plumb into your 12v power supply.

2. Buy a new deck that supports the A2DP protocol. In this option, be aware, products like clarion's CMD6 deck state that the head unit supports it...yeah it does - AFTER - you buy the 175.00 adapter. I think Clarion makes a deck that doesn't require this adapter.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow X9 View Post
I-simple works great in my boat
Didnt find a model with rca outs- what one are you using?