Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 14' aluminum jonboat
1 Ski or 2? Still learning

So I have been trying to ski for a couple of summers now. Let me just say though that my average summer is 2 or 3 times out on my parents pontoon. They have a set of skis that I have been trying to get up on. I have gotten up but can still not ride for any length of time. I am wondering if a big problem is the boat which is a tritoon with a 175 Johnson. It has a low tow point. I struggle to get up on a board behind it but I had no problem boarding behind a sea ray and an X15. I want to get behind a decent ski boat and try my hand at it. My big question is should I definitely start out on two skis or would I do ok trying to slalom? Any tips you guys could give me would be great.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Will want to be learning on a pair. Once you get good enough to ride those comfortably then you can start thinking about dropping a ski and trying to slalom. If you don't have the balance to ride on 2 skis you will have a 0% of riding 1.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 14' aluminum jonboat
What is a good pair of skis for a 6'1" 260 lb guy?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Get a wide pair combo such as HO" 67 inch Blast.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Well, I don't think the low tow point is an issue. Most skiers use the ski pole, not a tower, which is more than likely lower than your parents pontoon. Granted, you have about 80lbs on me, but I have gotten up on my wakeboard behind my dads dual toon with a 115hp. It does not yank me up, but it does the job. I agree with Mike. Wider skis are a good choice bc that gives the ski more surface area on the water.

I learned the hard way when I was in HS many years ago. I started on two, dropped one and went skiing around the lake for a good little while just getting used to the feel until I fell nowhere near the dock. I figured it was a good time to learn how to deep water start on a slalom. Thankfully, I got up my first time and skied back to the dock. BTW, this was all behind our 96 Sea Doo GTi with 85hp. Trial by fire. Sometimes the best way to learn.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
you need to keep those knees bent...

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Think of the standard athletic position. Awaiting a serve in tennis, ready to play defense in basketball, a shortstop waiting for the pitch... These are all examples of how you should be standing on the skis once you're up. And be sure to keep your eyes up by the horizon. I find it helps to have an attractive woman in the boat to look at.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
If you are having trouble, I recently got a guy up on our boom bar first time on one ski. Second attempt on a long vee handle attached to the boom, third attempt long vee handle out the back. The boom gives the skier the feeling of balance and water under their ski without the difficulties in getting up. I think on our recent holiday we got about 6 learners up on the bar. Not saying two aren't the way to learn though. Have fun.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
One ski. If you have not mastered or reasonably learned on two, you'll never have a point of reference while learning on one. Forget two.

If you're falling down, you're looking down. Always a rule of thumb (for trick skiers).

Find something on the horizon at which to look.

And make sure that whom ever is instructing you to ski, knows what they are talking about. You'd be surprised...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
O

If you're falling down, you're looking down. Always a rule of thumb (for trick skiers).

Find something on the horizon at which to look.
^^ so many shout outs from me - he's goin' down... face above water facing down - body follows.... 90% of time unless rider can pull it out.

Yes find something on horizon to look at....was my biggest issue for slalom deep water starts as well as trying to stand up too early... even on 2.

Best advice is having someone teach you who knows what they are doing... I learned deep water starts in Michigan at Pine Lake Ski School - so I recommend a good teacher. A boom is a great bonus.