Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
If it is automatically added to your bill....isn't that just another tax and not a "tip"???? The other term for tip is "gratuity" which is partially defined as, "something given without claim or demand"....doesn't seem to fit when it is added automatically
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
If it is automatically added to your bill....isn't that just another tax and not a "tip"???? The other term for tip is "gratuity" which is partially defined as, "something given without claim or demand"....doesn't seem to fit when it is added automatically
Only governments tax, this is a charge that's plainly stated on the menu for large groups.

If someone wants a tip, they should do their job and if they want a better tip, they should do their job so well the customer wants to give more.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Only governments tax, this is a charge that's plainly stated on the menu for large groups.

If someone wants a tip, they should do their job and if they want a better tip, they should do their job so well the customer wants to give more.
Agreed....but a group of 6 being called a "large group". That might just be a regular family who, in these days, have a tough enough time going out to eat economically. I could see if you are bringing in 15 people....that I would consider a "large group". But really, what is the difference? If you have 2 tables of 5 or a table of 10???? Why would the people who came together have a surcharge on their bill automatically.

As you can see...I just don't agree with the idea of imposing an automatic tip.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post

Agreed....
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pram View Post
Well I don't see it that way at all

I am tired of servers EXPECTING that I subsidize their wage. You want to have a guaranteed income, better yourself, find a job that pays you more.

The last time I encountered this there were 8 of us, it took a very long time to get our food, it was cold, no drinks were brought at a constant interval And yet I found an 15% tip automatically added to my bill

Too bad for her, just because your a server doesn't mean you need to make 30-40 an hour because of tips
30-40 an hour? That's a stretch. So if everything is spot on what do you normally tip?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
Agreed....but a group of 6 being called a "large group". That might just be a regular family who, in these days, have a tough enough time going out to eat economically. I could see if you are bringing in 15 people....that I would consider a "large group". But really, what is the difference? If you have 2 tables of 5 or a table of 10???? Why would the people who came together have a surcharge on their bill automatically.

As you can see...I just don't agree with the idea of imposing an automatic tip.
One server handling 6 people, all with their own separate demands and requests isn't always easy. When the requests and demands are coming fast and furious, it's worse. When the people are only interested in themselves, it sucks. At that point, the number of customers is immaterial and I have seen 3-4 people demand more attention than 10.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
I agree, if waitresses want there tip then they should work for it. But I know from talking to my sister the reason some waitresses Freak out about a crappy tip is because if u don't give one she just had to pay to serve you. Servers have to tip out a percentage of the take to the kitchen Staff. The server doesn't get to keep the whole tip. But the kitchen staff are guaranteed there pay out no matter what so the server has to pay out the kitchen and she gets what is left over. So if u tip light or don't tip at all she gets shafted by her kitchen staff taking her tips. So she served u and got none of the tip The chef got it.

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).

Last edited by pram; 01-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
Not sure if that made sense hard to type on my iPhone. Doh

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
30-40 an hour? That's a stretch. So if everything is spot on what do you normally tip?
Really? This is my logic

You are a server that has a section that contains 8-10 tables

Here you get PAID 9-10 per hour from your employer

Now you work a 6 hour shift and have 8-9 tables per hour

A family of four goes out for supper

Bill total 50-60

15% (what everyone says you are supposed to tip) = 7.50, based on $50

7x7.50 = 52.50

10%
7x5=35

Add the 10 an hour they are getting paid and its pretty easy to get there

Find a server and ask them how much they make in tips

2-300 on a good night is very common plus wages

MONKEY FACE
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
There re soooo many variables in the food service industry. Most are beyond the servers control.