Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
351W Alternator Part #

Hello my fellow MC enthusiasts,

I am looking to upgrade my alternator to support my stereo system improvement. I wanna go from the 51 amp to like a 90 or higher amperage rated Alternator. I am looking at the DB Electrical alternator (any opinions?) I am sure when I call them, they will ask for a part number to compare theirs to. I removed mine, and it is a Prestolite. Unfortunately, the tag is gone and I have no idea what the part number or model it is. I have a 1990 Tristar 190 with a 351W. I assume it would be the same for most models of boats with that Ford engine. If anybody could look up that info or look on their alternator, that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1990, 351 Indmar
Here is a 100 Amp upgrade kit that should work for you.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RF097009A
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks, that looks good, but then I saw the price tag, $325, ouch. The DB Electrical unit is $100 new. I found a local shop that can do upgrade builds on alternators, but when I called him, he asked what model/part number it was. All I could tell him was it was a black Prestolite.....Any help on the number or model would be super helpful, please.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Pm this tt member, he had his alternator off recently,

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ght=Alternator

FYI my 89 was oem with a 51 amp motorola alternator.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
I have a db 100amp altenator in my 81 SS. It has worked well the last summer it doesn't flinch when I use anything on the boat but it doesn't exactly have any real draw on it.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks J.M., I will reach out to that guy and see if he knows. I called DB Electrical and the guy found a 110 amp Alt (part # ADR0106) to replace mine for $69.00! Couldn't believe it. I went to the site and the application was for a Mercruiser...but maybe a Ford, it wasn't really clear. Oh the pain, always when you think it will be a simple task, turns into a major p.i.t.a. I was hoping that someone just happened to have purchased one from DB to replace the Indmar 351W Alt, or had an OEM part number...
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Big Ordeal

Well, here it is, my shiny, new alternator. Getting to this point was not easy however. When I pulled my Alt, as I posted earlier, there was not data tag or label, only that it was a Prestolite. I asked here on TT if anyone new the Alt part # off a 351W. No luck. So, I called both Ski Dim and DB Electrical, and they both stated that without a part #, they could not cross reference a higher amperage unit. The guy at DB told me that I should get a hold of someone at a Mastercraft dealer. So I called NW Mastercraft in WA state. Even after I told him the year/make/model, the first guy said he needed the hull ID to look up the part. Then I called back and the next guy said, no, he needed the engine serial #. Luckily, on my '90, there was a sticker on the manifold that of course said Indmar and the engine s #. I called back, and after 2 days, I called him back and he said that Indmar did not store the records for that far back and therefore had no idea of what Alt went on their engine! SO, I took the original down to a local auto electrical shop. He wanted $250 for a new model, 90 amp. I was clever enough to ask him if he got a part #, and he gave me one. FINALLY! So, I called DB back and got this beauty, a 105 amp version, 1-wire that should bolt right on. Now to see if it actually fits and works...
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
Did it Bolt on ?
that looks like a Delco 10si
Did it fit the indmar brackets. I need
A new alt for my Tristar also.
Any pics of it installed

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Not yet, been busy at work, but I will update whether it fit, etc. and snap some pics. One thing I like about it is that it is self exciting, so only 1 wire coming off the back directly to the battery. I compared it to the old one, and everything appears to line up good, so should work...