Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Great pics. Very interested in your thread as I'm sure I will have to do this to my '77 some day, though all still solid now.

Are you going to remove all the stringers at one time? Won't that allow for too much flexing of the hull, or do you have it sufficiently supported? I seem to remember someone on here installing new stringers and finding more flex than he anticipated.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Depending on where you read, some say replace the stringers one at a time, other restos I have came across have removed them all at the same time. I was really apprehensive about cutting them out all together, but the floor is really solid. The "foam" secondary stringer was only held in with CSM and the primary was pretty much just the fiberglass cloth shell. That helped me make my decision--not much strength/reinforcement there anyway. It may also help that the floor had previously been replaced and there is extra cloth on the floor, I do not know for sure.

The sawsall ripped through the primary stringer like it was nothing. There was about a 30 inch section near the transom where I cut through solid wood (at the hull, rotten near top). I also bought an oscillating multi-tool that worked really well cutting the skin off the transom and cutting out the foam stringer. Maybe I will be able to work this week on the other side. I post some more pictures when I finish cutting the other stringers out.

Just a side note...wear long sleeves and gloves when you do your fiberglass cutting/grinding. I bought me a Tyvek suit today.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Sounds like you have everything under control and have done your homework.

LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1973 MC Skier and 1970 MC Skier
Some inspiration for you.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phickman View Post
Some inspiration for you.
Yes things seem to be going well at the moment. I think we have something worked out on the fenders.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

I keep plugging along....Was able to cut out the right side primary and secondary stringers yesterday afternoon. Floor is still very solid with all the stringers cut out. I also started doing a little grinding. Doulgas Fir was ordered for the stringers and should be in later this week. I have my US Composite order all but ready to go. Still not sure on how much resin it will take. They provide estimates on their website for resin to matting requirements and I called about resin to cloth. I have estimated that it should take about 15 gallons () for the transom, stringers and floor. I am thinking that I may go with 10 gallons and buy another five if I run low.

I have read countless stringer/floor repair threads, but finally have settled on two overlapping layers of 1708 cloth for the secondary stringers and two layers of 1708 tabbing followed by two overlapping layers of 1708 for the primary stringers.

Still have not been able to remove the rudder. I am thinking of taking a Dremel sanding barrell and sanding the top of the rudder shaft. Stuck and do not know whatelse to do.

Ansley
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes
I used almost 5 gal of resin for the stringers and general repairs, but I used roving which sucked up a lot of resin. I would not use roving again, I think your choice of 1708 is the right one.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Finally got my rudder out. Had to use 150 grit sand paper on the shaft to remove some burrs. I picked up the Douglas fir I had ordered for the stringers on Friday. Still working on grinding the bottom of the hull. Need to double check my fiberglass order one more time. I hope to order it by the end of the week.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA Boater View Post
Finally got my rudder out. Had to use 150 grit sand paper on the shaft to remove some burrs. I picked up the Douglas fir I had ordered for the stringers on Friday. Still working on grinding the bottom of the hull. Need to double check my fiberglass order one more time. I hope to order it by the end of the week.
That will do it every time. Pretty close fit.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes
I might already have it. What year is it for? If not visit facebook page Mastercraft Project and there are some guys on there with every year you need. Lots of great resources