Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Maristar 200, 350MCX, VDrive
Alternator

My alternator has some corrosion on it so I removed it today. The bearing feels like it has seen its better days. Where can I send my alternator in to get it refurbished? Or should I just get a new one? Source?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
A local alternator shop can do the work. They should be familiar with working with marine components, but better to ask than assume.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
you can get new at www.skidim.com or NAPA Power Sports.... what output do you need.... or Like aboves says...you might be able to get it rebuilt... My '95 alternator could not be rebuilt so I bought a napa marine.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
If you can clearly read the part number on the back, call DB Electrical, or check out their site, at dbelectrical.com. To compare prices, you can also call Ski Dim, or go to their site, skidim.com. You could even take it to an auto electrical store locally and have them give you an estimate on either cleaning it up or replacing the brushes, etc. I would have it tested regardless before anything. Do you have a large load being placed on your system from a stereo or pumps? If not and your electrical system is pretty stock then the replacement/refurbishment should be straight forward. My problem was that I couldn't read my part number so the "replacement" search became very complicated.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 MC Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
A local alternator shop can do the work. They should be familiar with working with marine components, but better to ask than assume.
I agree. We are lucky enough to have a competent starter/alternator shop that rebuilds them. I bring them my starter and alternator every year after winterizing just to make sure they are operating properly. Free to check them and when they were rebuilt it was really cheap compared to buying a "new" part. Better to be safe than stranded next year.

If you do want a new one Vince at Skidim has always treated me great. +1
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
I replaced the bearings in my alternator a few weeks ago. Both bearings cost me $10 at a local alternator/starter repair shop (I installed them myself though).

Check your brushes, or have them checked if someone else is doing it. Being an '06 (depending on the hours), I'll bet they're fine, but someone needs to look while you're in there.
Here are my old brngs.
Attached Images