Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Yep, it was a calculated risk that I took when opting to go this route and plain and simple the guy knew he could get push me around. I made it a point to oviously be nice and asked about his background, etc... funny thing is the guy was never a plumber yet he is the plumbing inspector. I realize that there are a lot of people out there who are inspectors for various industries/trades who have never actually done any of the work themselves, they simply passed a test and know what the code book says but fail to understand what actually works in practical application. I had a 50/50 chance on which inspector I was going to get and unfortunately, I got the ball-buster and have learned my lesson!
I guess he had a choice- be an inspector or a teacher- "Those who can't do, teach".
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM
jkski jkski is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,910
Quick follow-up: My plumber spoke with the inspector this morning and the guy approved everything but 1 item after their discussion, so of the 4 things he failed me on, only 1 of them now needs to be changed. Lesson learned....plumbing inspectors want to talk to the plumber, not a homeowner who pulls his own permit!
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 8,578
Interesting. Here in MA only a licensed plumber can pull a permit. No homeowner exception here.
__________________
'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM
occva occva is online now
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
Location: VA
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Interesting. Here in MA only a licensed plumber can pull a permit. No homeowner exception here.
Yet another reason I left Mass. You can electrocute yourself and burn your house down, but they draw the line at some water in the basement.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM
jkski jkski is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,910
I was surprised by the fact that I could pull my own permit and how easy it was. I do believe that on the paperwork it says "homeowner" which tips the inspector off to look a little more closely.

So, the electricians got started yesterday and got their line in the trench with their inspection today (I have nothing to do wth this one). The siding guys started bringing their stuff out and I would imagine they will try to get started sometime this week, although today's weather is pretty much all rain so the mud has returned!!!
Should have some new pics later this week.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Double D's Avatar
Double D Double D is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 4,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
I was surprised by the fact that I could pull my own permit and how easy it was. I do believe that on the paperwork it says "homeowner" which tips the inspector off to look a little more closely.

So, the electricians got started yesterday and got their line in the trench with their inspection today (I have nothing to do wth this one). The siding guys started bringing their stuff out and I would imagine they will try to get started sometime this week, although today's weather is pretty much all rain so the mud has returned!!!
Should have some new pics later this week.
I hope they can side it while its warm. Cold tends to make vinyl siding a bit brittle...
__________________
If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
jkski jkski is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,910
I think they are going to have to wait to do any siding work. Between the rain and mud, the site is once again a mess and while they have their siding breaks set-up and covered, ready to go, temps are supposed to drop back into the 20's on Thursday with snow in the forecast for a few days. My guess is that they will see what next week brings and go from there.

The electricians got what looks to be a decent start with most of the boxes set, can lights mounted, etc. so I would think they will be pulling wire later this week.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM
SkiDog's Avatar
SkiDog SkiDog is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 92 Prostar
Location: South of North
Posts: 7,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
I think they are going to have to wait to do any siding work. Between the rain and mud, the site is once again a mess and while they have their siding breaks set-up and covered, ready to go, temps are supposed to drop back into the 20's on Thursday with snow in the forecast for a few days. My guess is that they will see what next week brings and go from there.

The electricians got what looks to be a decent start with most of the boxes set, can lights mounted, etc. so I would think they will be pulling wire later this week.
TRUST me on this. Once all your wiring, plumbing, low voltage, HVAC, and anything else thats IN THE WALLS, is completed, Take your camera (still or video) and shoot the WHOLE house! Don't miss a spot anywhere! This can be valuable if something happens and you need to know where a certain wire or plug is that may have gotten covered up! It takes a little time. Video is actually the best method, but camera pics have saved my a$$ on more than one occasion when trying to locate a wire that I knew was there, but could not find till I looked at the pics. This saves tons of extra tear out that you might have to do in order to search.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM
OHIOPRO205's Avatar
OHIOPRO205 OHIOPRO205 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Boat: 1994 PROSTAR 205
Location: Amanda, Ohio
Posts: 247
I agree with skidog. We built our house 20 years ago and my dad was always going around taking pictures. At that time it didn't make much since to me but I never said anything. When we moved in my parents gave us this huge picture album in chronological order. It has been awesome to go back and look how it all went together. It has been very helpful to be able to look back at where everything is. He even took some pics from upstairs window of leach bed before it was covered up. Very helpful.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
onewheat's Avatar
onewheat onewheat is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Location: Moving again...
Posts: 683
ESPECIALLY where you will be hanging TV's, closet shelves, bathroom rods, toilet paper holders and anywhere you run speaker or other wires, etc. If you know where you'll be hanging things - backer boards in the wall are awesome. I always like a towel rod, curtain rod, TP holder, etc. to screw into wood, rather than in drywall with an anchor.
__________________
onewheat

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.