Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Everything evolves or comes around. Wake boarding may wane in the years to come and slalom my come back strong. The decade has been rough for the boating industry as we all know. One thing that makes wake boarding and wake surfing strong is that you don't need a course to practice and excel in the sport.

We all buy our boats for different reasons and I for one am not going to rationalize anything to this troll.

If you take what Jim says above...sounds like someone has sour grapes...

If you really want to be an elitist I am sure you can go to MC in Venore and order a complete custom boat with customer interior and drive train and all custom accouterments. Spend a couple of hundred grand why not...then you can have your elite MC. I bet you can even get some custom badgeing

I bet also you could have your underwater gear gold electro-plated and you can have your own personal "Gold" edition MC - that no one else will have. - You could also get custom gel on the back that says.... - "Can't Touch This!" -

At least this troll sparked many of us to herald out pride in ownership of an MC...
Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
A "real Mastercraft" owner is one that is familiar with many boat models, over many years.
Understands and appreciates the strengths and weakness of each.
Someone who truely appreciates a particular type of boat (IB, performance, cruiser, etc) understands and appreciates all manufacturers in that sub-industry. They may have a favorite, they may know their own model better but they are industry aware.

A "real boater" is someone who truely loves the water and appreciates ALL BOATS for their unique characteristics and has consideration for ALL other boaters "real" or "poser"

If you have never gone 120mph on the water, there is a rush
If you have never sat on a 55' cruiser for an afternoon of relaxation, try it.
There is a calm about riding on a sail boat along with the extra sensitivity needed to sail the wind.
Paddling a canoe, one slows down to see a shoreline that normally goes by in a blur.
The care free feeling of piling a bunch of people on a utility pontoon, motoring for simple fun and only buring 5gal of gas all evening.
The responsive push of acceleration and manuvering of and inboard with a clean wake behind for watersports.

How "real" are you?

Extra credit if you have the mechanical skills to maintain a vessel.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Extra credit if you have the mechanical skills to maintain a vessel.
And the boating acumen to be skillful behind the wheel and courteous to others on the water.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Reminds me of Snow Skier vs Snowboard.
i still push skiers off the lift. stupid double-plankers.

the only real boats come to a single point. silly pickle forks... i mean, common, when is the last time you saw a pickle just floatin along in the water? why in the world would we need a bow designed specifically to skewer one?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
This is easy: real Mastercraft's roll off the assembly line from the MC factory. If it's made anywhere else it's likely fake.

Is it summer yet?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Disagree. Seems a bit snobby to me. We all know "skiers" don't care for "boarders" and this kind of prepetuates it.

It's been wakeboarding and surfing that have kept the inboard market alive for the past 10 years. Like it or not the newer generations like standing sideways and doing jumps, and are less interested in uncomfortable stances and going really fast. It's the "sideways" movement that saved the snow ski industry too. Oh ya, if MC was only in the business of slalom boats, well I would say they probably wouldn't still be in business.

With all that said I have the upmost respect for Slalom skiers and the skills they have. It's a tough sport and takes a lot of practice. I got to really try it for the first time this past summer and it was much more fun then I expected. I plan to definitley do more and get a ski but you won't see me giving up wakeboarding anytime soon.
I like both types of watersports, and have no beef with either style of boat or what people do on them. When it comes to snowsports, however... I am a ski elitist. When it comes to snowboarding, there have been articles (such as this one http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/20...src=dayp&_r=3& ) pointing out that snowboarding may have just been a fad. If it was a fad, it certainly progressed the sport of skiing. Had snowboarding not come around, we'd still be on long, straight, 215cm planks on the mountain. Thankfully the "shaped" ski movement came along, and if that's all that comes from the snowboard fad, then I'll be happy. Snowboarding is dying off however, skiing has never been in jeopardy of losing a clientell base, the only reason skiing dropped off at all was beacause snowboarding was the new "cool" thing to do.

I have a feeling as people realize they can't afford 115k+ dollar boats, they'll start reverting to skiing again on the water and utilizing the great slalom boats that MC has and still does make, along with the other manufacturers.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 14' aluminum jonboat
As someone who does not own his MC yet, I can tell you that I think you all are the real deal. I don't care if its a 2013 X25 or an old Stars and Stripes running past me on the lake, or if I see one being towed down the road, I smile to myself and think "someday soon." I like MC for the quality and versatility. I mean they make exceptional products that range from strict championship skiers to record setting wakeboats, boats that will enable most to ride to the max of their skills in any watersport, to even day yachts now. Really, I don't see how ANY MC owner can be anything less than proud of the heritage they are a part of. I also can't help but think of how MC has done things that people thought were impossible. Look at the 205, which has got to be arguably the most versatile boat to ever hit the water, a hull that basically started the revolution of wakeboarding. Even the so-called "failures" the company have had actually entice me. Look at the Maristar 240. Who would have thought a 24' boat would make a good ski boat and what other manufacturer would have tried it? Then there's my personal favorite the CSX 220. I think it's so cool what MC tried to do with that boat. It almost feels like that boat was made with me in mind, someone who wants to be able to do anything on the water with one boat (ok, maybe not skiing but you get the idea). If it were not for the CSX hull, the world might not have the X25 today.

Bottom line, no matter what your pleasure is, we can all agree that MC is the best at all of them with unparalleled quality. I hope to join your ranks soon.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Wouldn't a Mastercrafts owner just be someone who owns one? Who cares what model, how long, what you do with or behind it. If the vin says mastercraft and its in your garage, driveway, boat house, etc.. Your a MC owner. What's to debate?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC197 View Post
Wouldn't a Mastercrafts owner just be someone who owns one? Who cares what model, how long, what you do with or behind it. If the vin says mastercraft and its in your garage, driveway, boat house, etc.. Your a MC owner. What's to debate?
Just people being dumb is all it really is about. Someone believing that dropping a bunch of coin on a brand new boat automatically extends their ***** size by 18 inches.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 XStar 8.1L Indmar, 2012 X25 6.0L Ilmor
This all seems a bit silly and down right foolish,
I have spent hundreds of thousands between the cost of 3 MC's, my third being built as we speak. Yes, they are all X-series boats, have I not shown my loyalty and earned the right to display a "Mastercraft" sticker proudly? Or do I still need to put the "X-Series" next to it. Seems a bit ridiculous.

If someone tells you they own a yacht, do you question them with "Which Model" to determin if it classifies as one or do you appreciate the fact that they are lucky enough to have a yacht?

Slalom, Wakeboarding, wake skate, surfing etc. to each there own.

Past Boats-
2006 XStar
2004 Eliminator 28' Daytona
2000 Eliminator 22' Daytona