Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
Thanks, Sammy! Next question, do the HLCDs need separate mounting/wiring? Right now I've got the 6.5" tower speakers running off of channels 1 & 2 on a 4 channel amp. 3 & 4 are bridged to my sub.
D,

The Kicker KM6500.2 tower setup is designed to have each 6.5 mid wired in parallel with each horn. When wired in parallel, a horn and a mid is a 4 ohm load, so this will determine your amps output to the speakers. What amp do you have? 150W @ 4 ohm is a minimum for me, and 200-250 is where i like them to be. Since they are a 4 ohm load, they are ideal to run bridged on a 4 chnl amp.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
The Kicker KM6500.2 tower setup is designed to have each 6.5 mid wired in parallel with each horn. When wired in parallel, a horn and a mid is a 4 ohm load, so this will determine your amps output to the speakers. What amp do you have? 150W @ 4 ohm is a minimum for me, and 200-250 is where i like them to be. Since they are a 4 ohm load, they are ideal to run bridged on a 4 chnl amp.
I run mine in the upper range and they scream. Amp setup is key on these and you'll want to play with your settings and get the right power to them. Remember a bad amp setup will make any speaker sound like chit.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
Ok, I pulled the trigger on the 6500.2s. I'm planning to install the two midrange speakers in my existing speaker cans. What about the horn tweeters? What's the best way to mount those?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
Ok, I pulled the trigger on the 6500.2s. I'm planning to install the two midrange speakers in my existing speaker cans. What about the horn tweeters? What's the best way to mount those?
In two pods of their own. I would suggest mounting the two horns on the upper most/inboard position, then flank them with the mids.

Sorry, not a MC tower

Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
OK, thanks MLA. I appreciate your patience with my newbie questions! I love TT. People are always willing to help and inform. Cheers, brother!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

No problem, dv, post up any further questions you have.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
MLA, why not place the horns mid or outboard?
The highs are most directional so why not angle them for a wider spread instead of both firing straight back?
Most listening riding is done in the flats. While coved, we are usually looking for better dispersment and it might not blast the highs directly over people standing on the deck?

I run two WS485 but often wish I had a 3some for better side to side. (or maybe I should just add more )
Old 01-26-2013, 02:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
bsloop,
I'm not sure there is a blanket prescription for approaching tower speaker placement on every tower in respect to so many product variations.
At first glance I might want to place the more directional horn tweeters to the outside for a wider dispersion pattern. But there are many other dynamics that may be conflicting to listen for. For example:
A horizntal array inherently has good vertical dispersion but very poor horizontal dispersion. Most of this is due to what is called 'comb filter effect'. Do a search and read about it on the net because you know if it's on the net then it has to be true. Right? Off-axis wavelengths (certain frequencies = certain wavelengths) coming from separate speakers when the speakers are a given distance apart will be out of phase. This creates erratic peaks and valleys in the tower system amplitude response and at various listening positions. And this is why many tower packages tend to beam down the middle with a pronounced high frequency roll-off outside the wake. The more speakers in the horizontal array, especially with a component set, the larger the problem.
So here is where you can be d*** if you do and d*** if you don't. Per the layout, you really do not know until you trial and error with a little midrange/treble material whether the range played by the upper end of the midbass driver or lower end of the tweeter driver will be most affected. Rotating placement and changing the spacing can make a difference.
In your case, a pair of Rev8s oriented and aimed to the far outside should do wonders. But then with Pro485s, you are not vacating the middle either.

David
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

On towers with a arching tower bar, placing the horns inboard gets them as high as possible and as far aft as possible. The main objective here is to limit the amount of horn that radiates down into the boat while the boat is under way, music cranked with rider in tow. If you can see in the pic I posted, the flare of the horn is oval, so it disperses more horizontal then a traditional round horn. This also reduces the the amount that radiates down into the boat, but also aids in the off-axis, out in the flats projection. Also, if the tower has some arch to it, this also adds a little angle to their projection. Now, if the tower bar is straight across, then the above is all out the window Also, having a tower setup running in stereo is not typically a huge priority, especially when the main goal is for wake-boarding. Beyond the sun pad, stereo begins to fade. Even at surf range, stereo is not really heard because the rider is off the rear corner of the boat, so most of what he hears is from one chnl.

I would say that there is no "wrong" way to arrange this setup. Due to how they are wired, its simple to swap the position of the mids and horns by just pulling them from the pods.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
bsloop,
MLA mentioned something that is very applicable and is worth adding to your situation if you added a pair of Rev8s on swivel collars to the very outside and aimed for wider dispersion outside the wake. I would run that set in summed mono so that you hear all the program material to the far outside extremes versus just left or just right.

David