Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
I actually already take anti-inflamatory medicine for other issues I get to deal with, so thats taken care of

I hope to start jogging at PT tomorrow. Last week we did some slides, skips, hops, and such to get the muscles used to impacts again. We also did some "jumping" on the leg press machine, which was interesting. I never would have thought at 27 I would be excited to "get to run" again.

I will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well, on Wednesday I jogged for the first time since surgery. My physical therapist gave me a "schedule" that is 24 minutes on the treadmill. The first time you walk 2:30 and then jog :30. Repeat that 8 times (for a total of 24 min). It went well, I didnt really have pain in my knee and running felt very good. Friday after work I stopped by again and did the same thing except it was walk for 2:00 and run for 1:00, repeat 8 times. I could feel my knee, but it didnt really hurt. This process continues every other day until I run a full 24 minutes. Things are going well still, and it is good to be able to do a little more physically active stuff. Thanks again for everyone's support!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschildm View Post
Well, on Wednesday I jogged for the first time since surgery. My physical therapist gave me a "schedule" that is 24 minutes on the treadmill. The first time you walk 2:30 and then jog :30. Repeat that 8 times (for a total of 24 min). It went well, I didnt really have pain in my knee and running felt very good. Friday after work I stopped by again and did the same thing except it was walk for 2:00 and run for 1:00, repeat 8 times. I could feel my knee, but it didnt really hurt. This process continues every other day until I run a full 24 minutes. Things are going well still, and it is good to be able to do a little more physically active stuff. Thanks again for everyone's support!

That's great! jogging put a lot of stress on joints.... good sign.... !!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 LT1
Good job! Keep it up!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Its been a bit since I have updated my progress, so I figured I would let you know where I was at now.

The recovery went really well. I worked my *** off lifting and running as well as going to PT. I was running by 2 months with the only issues coming that I wore running tights when running outside in the cold to keep the knee from hurting. By 3 months I was doing cutting drills and back to sports type work. I actually passed all the requirements for return to sports by 3 months post surgery (over 92% strength bad leg vs. good leg).

I went ahead and did some hard basketball workouts doing cutting, jumping, and shooting over the next couple weeks, and played for the first time just shy of months after surgery. The knee felt good and I had surprising confidence in it right away. I was incredibly out of basketball shape though, haha.

I played and lifted for a few weeks, and then a couple of weekends ago the knee felt bad after some basketball. It seemed to still be stable, but was slightly swolen and painful. Finally got into the Dr. yesterday and he said the graft still feels really good to him (which was quite a relief, I couldn't start from scratch and work like I did again). I had MRI today, but won't find out what the deal is until my appointment on Friday. The pain is mostly gone, there is just something catching right before my leg gets straight. Could be meniscus or something. As long as its not ACL, I am not too worried about it.

Just want to say thanks again to everyone support on this sight, it helped give me a few pointers and keep motivated. I should be ready at the start of ski season if it ever decides to warm up here in the midwest. I will keep you all posted on what I found out on Friday.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Oh, and sorry for the book ....
Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Just got back from my Dr visit looking over the MRI. The ACL still looks great, so that is good news. Bad news is that I probably have a torn meniscus. It was hard to tell from the MRI. I opted to try a shot in the knee and then give it a couple weeks to see how it did, but I hate to wait too long because ski season is coming up. I can probably ski and wakeboard alright the way it is, but if I want to get it fixed I am running out of time to not cut into my time on the lake. Boy am I glad its not the ACL though.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Meniscus should be fixed with a scope. I've had both mine scoped with short recovery time. I had one completely fold once and lock the knee. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Yeah, I have actually had this knee scoped once already 10 years ago for a torn meniscus. I played basketball on it last night. It was not too bad, I was more affected by being out of shape than a bum leg, haha. We'll see how it feels in another week or so and decide if its going to be OK, or if I just need to get it fixed and move on.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Good deal. Both my knees are pretty bad and I just keep punishing them by running...but I got to do something to keep from getting fat and out of shape.