Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
My engine hatch screws pulled out with very little effort. that dog house is heavy. I guess the front latches hold it in place for you guys then.

I love the look of the anodized red on the MCX, not sure I'd buy that engine if a clear history was provided. The dataplate on the transmission has black overspray, makes me wonder what they are so haphazardly hiding.

Exploring the possibility of a Mercury Bravo repower, I made a couple calls this week, Mercury wasn't alot of help, I'll do some more on that Friday...love working 4/10's. I also talked with an old ski buddy who owns a boat shop in FL, he's encouraging me to go with a PCM repower, bring the boat to him then we can remove the antifowling paint buff out the hull and spend some time getting things done right by somone who knows ski boats... But it's a 14hr tow. Would be nice to have peace of mind for the ski season and not have to tinker 2hrs for every hour of skiing.

As far as physical progress I removed a few more things while the weather was nice yesterday #needashopformyboat.

Drivers seat is frozen to the tracks by rust. I got under it and freed the latch mechanism but couldn't get it to slide. I was able to remove the bolster, so I can remove the bracket and clean it up.

Also removed the platform brackets to get them in line for a date with the paint stripper and blast cabinet.
Most of these brackets have pitting, I feel I can live with that and just cover it with a good protective coating of paint. Suggestions are always welcome, I was thinking epoxy. I don't really want to pay for powder or anodizing.

Last edited by 46Chief; 01-30-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Do you have access to a glass beader/blasting cabinet? If your going to do most of the work yourself it might be a good investment. If you blast most metal surfaces clean follow with a good marine or self etching primer,(found in a spray can) and good quality paint will work for most of your parts.

Just read your post again about the blast cabinet I've had good luck with epoxy paint in the can as well as shooting stuff out of the gun.

Last edited by Bouyhead; 01-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
^not a bad idea but I've found in the past I always needed larger items blasted. Find a local powdercoater and you can prob bribe him on the cheap to blast your parts. I agree that some self etcher and rattlecan will help ALOT on the parts and prob save you a ton of money. My seat was frozen similar to yours and some pb loosened it right back up.

Merc isn't a help with anything and has been my only beef with them. I've had a pain getting some parts and part numbers for past needs which was irritating to say the least. The 555 is a nice lil system though and makes problems easy to fix along with the lp and hp fuel pumps being a big + instead of the in tank.

Quote:
I love the look of the anodized red on the MCX, not sure I'd buy that engine if a clear history was provided. The dataplate on the transmission has black overspray, makes me wonder what they are so haphazardly hiding.
Not sure thats overspray or just the crappy chrome sticker peeling. I'd bet my money it being just a crappy sticker. Also you aren't going to get a lot of history on these engines unless you go new. Not sure the condition of your engine but have you considered a new block/risers?

as for the brackets I wouldn't bother powdercoating. One chip and it will start peeling. I used standard rustoleum on mine and haven't had an issue in 3 years.

Also just an fyi for your carpet. Throw some laundry detergent (non bleach) in that thing and scrub a dub dub. Run it to the 2 dollar power wash and power it out. At least then you'll know if you are going to have to replace it or not. Not sure how you like the tan in there lol. Personally I've rid my boat of all the factory light grey paneling and went to black. Would look super sharp with some non tan carpet and black that bad boy out.

Also guess I'm curious to the level you are trying to get this thing to. If you are going full out restore on this thing thats freaking great but from what I've picked up sounds like you are trying to get a budget ski boat. If thats the case I'm not sure how much I would mess with the bottom paint. There could be some hidden demons under that paint

Last edited by 02ProstarSammyD; 01-09-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Chief, I'm 20 mins from Levittown PA. If I had known you were that close I would have bought you a cold one!

LTR 330 hp Indmar would be my guess. I'm sure you could get a direct replacement engine. Or you could try Jasper or ATK and see what they offer. www.part-man.com sells Mercruiser engines I think.

Rep, that's bottom paint on her which will slow it down. You can soda blast it off and maybe save the original gelcoat finish.....it's a gamble, you won't know for sure until you try.
And yes zinc on the rudder, maybe on other places too (strut, tracking fins?) Salt kills.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Made a little progress between work and snowstorms, fortunately I've had a couple nice weekends this month.

Started with this earlier this month:

Now I just have to figure out where I am going to get this thing hoisted out.

At this point I am thankful for all the cad plated bolts, I was sure I was going to be calling the snap on guy for a set of EZ outs, due to all the rusty frozen bolts I was going to encounter. Thankfully MC and or Indmar used cad plated bolts and stainless hardware on mostly everything, so It's coming apart easily. Just look at the coupler I thought it was pretty much welded together by corrosion. the bolts came out nicely and I just bumped it loose. I did put a couple heavy applications of kroil penetrating oil on everything.

Found this, I guess all the dataplates from Hurth are installed before the the painter haphazardly masks it off.

Got the mufflers out, and removed whatever was screwed down that was nasty and corroded. Unfortunately my camera crapped out and it's too cold to pull that cover off. instead of pics of my nasty bilge, I have some to show of my archeology expedition

Hopefully I can get another year of use out of this tower with the help of a welder.

The clearcoat and corrosion has made the aluminium trim plates kind of ugly, I'll probably just wrap these in vinyl or paint them gray.

Something else I didn't account to spend more money on. Stereo is at the bottom of my list of things I require in a boat, I'd remove it, if it wasn't for the gaping ugly hole in the upholstery.

I was able to make some forward progress making things pretty.

I was able to clean up alot of stainless hardware, mostly hose clamps and all the screws holding brackets and interior pieces down. look closely you can see the pretty bolster brackets in that pile.

Debarnacled the platform brackets.

Not sure when I'm going to tackle the platform, but included the pic for before and after bracket pics.

Waiting for the weather to warm up to finish pulling the motor and transmission, propshaft etc.... Then I can give the carpet and bilge a proper bath.

Last edited by 46Chief; 01-30-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Had a little time and nice weather before work, was able to pull out the ballast pumps and see what surprises may com.

Adding another 200.00 dollars to the spreadsheet, the back plate of the pump has completely corroded away. the other one doesn't look bad, might as well order another impeller and o-ring.

I can't wait until I can get the engine and tranny removed, so I can douche this bilge in proper fashion. Then I'll remove the rudder the platform brackets and get that all restored back to clean and shiny.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Sad to see such neglect. Some people are just savages.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
Great work and thanks for including the pics. Keep it up!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Took apart the Jabsco ballast pumps to see what they are made of.

If anyone has a non working spare for parts, I'll trade for beer and shipping.

Started to clean up the steel motor housing.

Does any one know if will affect motor operation if I powder or plate the housing?

Got this cleaned up, I may have an extra one or two depending depending if I can salvage at least one pump. I haven't figured out if I can find that seal to replace it.

Got these pulled off, was surprised by the weight of the rudder.

Cleaned up nicely

Last edited by 46Chief; 02-17-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
Chief...what are you using to clean the components?