Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
bjames's Avatar
bjames bjames is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,106
If the dealers are waitiing for spring to do the upgrade, that will make for an exrtreamly busy time for them. Spring is a busy time for water testing boats sold ini the winter and spring, add a buch of recalls to that.. watch out. I would suggest putting pressure on your dealer to keep your boats on high priority. I wouldnt want to have to wait till June for the fix to happen due to the shop being too busy.

My boat took over 2 months to prepare for delivery due partly to the service bay not having enough resources - this was Nov and Dec. They were busy doing snowmobiles and other boats.
__________________
Current: 2009 X-Star, Indmar 6L, 400hp, ZFT3 tower. c/w 1/9 scale R/C PWT X-Star

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 PM
KahunaCraft's Avatar
KahunaCraft KahunaCraft is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Location: Canada
Posts: 411
Links relating to this thread...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t.php?p=901355

And here too...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t.php?p=904215

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 01-24-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM
KahunaCraft's Avatar
KahunaCraft KahunaCraft is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Location: Canada
Posts: 411
The ECM from 2012 to 2013 is the same from what I understand. It is the PCU (sp?) that changes. I don't know what one is, but did stay at a holiday inn last night.

I hear FW Murphy uses the same screen technology vendor as well... I've pretty much stopped worrying about the Medallion controls.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 PM
jcube4osu's Avatar
jcube4osu jcube4osu is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Boat: Mastercraft X25
Location: Midwest
Posts: 7
Well I guess I win so far

I have a 2012 and below are the issues I have experienced in the short 70 hours I've owned a 2012:

• Fuel Gauge - Fuel sending unit would read full but after a single plane and stop would read low fuel. Had sending unit replaced. I continue to have fuel level issues that read inaccurately. The dealership states that the fuel tank is long and narrow so as the boat pitches the fuel flows back or forward in the tank and causes inaccurate readings. This causes me to fill up more often and not trust the readings but still question why this is not an engineering issue to accurately capture the fuel levels at all operating conditions.
• Zero Off - This system has been a constant point of contention and I have never had a day on the lake where something didn’t occur. Started to add riders that I couldn’t delete – Took in for service and they updated the software. Holds the memory of the speed even after the cruise was off – Would engage a rider for i.e. surf and ride for a while. After we were done we would disengage, empty the ballast tanks, release the trims and then proceed to drive down the lake. The boat would plane up and hold at 10 mph even though the cruise was off. This continued through many trips to the dealer. Each time this occurred I would stop the boat, engage a cruise that was set for 40 mph, disengage the cruise, and then resume. I eventually learned that if I cut back on the throttle, hit the speed button, hit the cruise on then off and then throttled up that I could get moving. I have somewhat grown to accept this which I find completely unacceptable. At the end of the season they put a new version of software on that they state will resolve this but at this point I’m still skeptical. Zero Off would show erratic speeds and adjust – While riding the speed would read 60+mph and the engine would die until the speed would read 10mph and the engine would ramp-up. This was at the point that my one son would refuse to ride with the cruise on stating that I did a better job pulling him than the boat. Some of the comments that came back from MasterCraft were that I should not set the batteries to have 1 and 2 on or that when I pull the boat out for a few days that I didn’t turn the batteries to the off position and this is what could be causing my issues. I tend to find these ridiculous suggestions for people that just don’t have clue what is wrong.
• Master Cylinder failed on trailer
• Gate latch sheared off – The aluminum gate between the forward and main compartments has a plastic latch that sheared off. We had to keep the gate closed or it would flap around until replaced. Nothing like having a 100K boat with a piece of duct tape holding the gate open.
• Board Racks - Right after the gate latch sheared the pin for the port side board rack sheared off locking the board rack in the outside position. Within 30 minutes the starboard side pin sheared locking the rack in the inside position.
• Engine - Approximately 1 month after taking delivery I started to have issues with the oil pressure. If I turned and then dropped off plane the low oil pressure warning comes on and then the service engine light comes on and won’t turn off until I take it to the dealership. This issue is ongoing and still not resolved. I believe there have even been engineers come up from the factory and take the boat for a lake test yet I receive it back and run the boat just to have it happen again. The dealership now states that they have ordered another computer for the boat and we’ll have to see if this resolves it. At last count there have been 3 computers sent for this boat. I am also losing oil at a rate of a quart of oil every month and questioning the logic to start a brand new engine out with full synthetic. I would think that a blend would help to seal the engine for at least the first 100 hours or so and then switch to full synthetic.

I'd really like to know if there are more people out there with these issues or have had better luck getting them resolved
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Justin D.'s Avatar
Justin D. Justin D. is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 2012 X-15, Ilmor 5.7
Location: Mountain West
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcube4osu View Post
I have a 2012 and below are the issues I have experienced in the short 70 hours I've owned a 2012:

• Fuel Gauge - Fuel sending unit would read full but after a single plane and stop would read low fuel. Had sending unit replaced. I continue to have fuel level issues that read inaccurately. The dealership states that the fuel tank is long and narrow so as the boat pitches the fuel flows back or forward in the tank and causes inaccurate readings. This causes me to fill up more often and not trust the readings but still question why this is not an engineering issue to accurately capture the fuel levels at all operating conditions.
• Zero Off - This system has been a constant point of contention and I have never had a day on the lake where something didn’t occur. Started to add riders that I couldn’t delete – Took in for service and they updated the software. Holds the memory of the speed even after the cruise was off – Would engage a rider for i.e. surf and ride for a while. After we were done we would disengage, empty the ballast tanks, release the trims and then proceed to drive down the lake. The boat would plane up and hold at 10 mph even though the cruise was off. This continued through many trips to the dealer. Each time this occurred I would stop the boat, engage a cruise that was set for 40 mph, disengage the cruise, and then resume. I eventually learned that if I cut back on the throttle, hit the speed button, hit the cruise on then off and then throttled up that I could get moving. I have somewhat grown to accept this which I find completely unacceptable. At the end of the season they put a new version of software on that they state will resolve this but at this point I’m still skeptical. Zero Off would show erratic speeds and adjust – While riding the speed would read 60+mph and the engine would die until the speed would read 10mph and the engine would ramp-up. This was at the point that my one son would refuse to ride with the cruise on stating that I did a better job pulling him than the boat. Some of the comments that came back from MasterCraft were that I should not set the batteries to have 1 and 2 on or that when I pull the boat out for a few days that I didn’t turn the batteries to the off position and this is what could be causing my issues. I tend to find these ridiculous suggestions for people that just don’t have clue what is wrong.
• Master Cylinder failed on trailer
• Gate latch sheared off – The aluminum gate between the forward and main compartments has a plastic latch that sheared off. We had to keep the gate closed or it would flap around until replaced. Nothing like having a 100K boat with a piece of duct tape holding the gate open.
• Board Racks - Right after the gate latch sheared the pin for the port side board rack sheared off locking the board rack in the outside position. Within 30 minutes the starboard side pin sheared locking the rack in the inside position.
• Engine - Approximately 1 month after taking delivery I started to have issues with the oil pressure. If I turned and then dropped off plane the low oil pressure warning comes on and then the service engine light comes on and won’t turn off until I take it to the dealership. This issue is ongoing and still not resolved. I believe there have even been engineers come up from the factory and take the boat for a lake test yet I receive it back and run the boat just to have it happen again. The dealership now states that they have ordered another computer for the boat and we’ll have to see if this resolves it. At last count there have been 3 computers sent for this boat. I am also losing oil at a rate of a quart of oil every month and questioning the logic to start a brand new engine out with full synthetic. I would think that a blend would help to seal the engine for at least the first 100 hours or so and then switch to full synthetic.

I'd really like to know if there are more people out there with these issues or have had better luck getting them resolved
I have also experienced low oil pressure in my 2012. Over the last 100 hours we have lost around 10 quarts of oil. I spoke to someone at Ilmor who said that I need to take my boat to my dealership for a Diacom reading to determine the issue. I have not yet taken it to the dealer but I plan to soon. What engine do you have?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM
jcube4osu's Avatar
jcube4osu jcube4osu is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Boat: Mastercraft X25
Location: Midwest
Posts: 7
Tha base ilmor I believe 5.2
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 AM
kantwaittochill kantwaittochill is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: 2003 X-9
Location: MidWest
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoons View Post
Our 12' hasn't had any issues with the electronics including perfect pass. We have a power tower and we never had any issues with that either. It is however getting the updated hydraulics and braces. Our fuel level sensor stopped working and that's getting replaced and we had some other warranty stuff but the screen and functions have always been fine for us.
just an FYI, Like TheWoons we have had NO issues with our 2012 X25 BIG - 80 hours this last summer - Production date March 2012

I've got 8 profiles that we used all summer, never a problem... At 98% full water starts to shoot out the overflows.

I saw a slow screen once or twice, but attributed that to my highly skilled button bashing abilities.

Good luck in resolving all your issues, I'm wondering if maybe there was a bad batch of computers that made its way into some boats.
__________________
KWTC

2012 X25
2003 X9
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:27 AM
TheWoons TheWoons is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 2014 X30
Location: Southwest
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantwaittochill View Post
just an FYI, Like TheWoons we have had NO issues with our 2012 X25 BIG - 80 hours this last summer - Production date March 2012

I've got 8 profiles that we used all summer, never a problem... At 98% full water starts to shoot out the overflows.

I saw a slow screen once or twice, but attributed that to my highly skilled button bashing abilities.

Good luck in resolving all your issues, I'm wondering if maybe there was a bad batch of computers that made its way into some boats.
I think like most things in the world people harp about the bad more than the good. I'm glad another person has stepped up and talked about their good experience and no issue 2012 Mastercraft.
__________________
2014 X30
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Stefan Stefan is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Boat: 2012 X-15...gone, 2014 X-46 Gen2+ ...incoming
Location: middle of Germany, center of Europe (the old world)
Posts: 386
@jcube4osu

concerning yourZeroOff problems, try disconnecting your ZeroOff controle module which is just the GPS Antenna, just on the antenna inside the hull there is a connector. The boat then switches back to PerfectPass and might just run fine (mine does). Please turn the whole boat off for that.
__________________
If You Find To Many Capitals You Can Keep Them...I'm German
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 PM
kantwaittochill kantwaittochill is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: 2003 X-9
Location: MidWest
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoons View Post
I think like most things in the world people harp about the bad more than the good. I'm glad another person has stepped up and talked about their good experience and no issue 2012 Mastercraft.
Thank you TheWoons, I've never met you guys but I like you already.

Above, on that same note.... I should probably edit out my thoughts on the cause of folk's issues with the Big. It is not my job/place to "diagnose" problems. BUT! It is the dealers job to make sure that All MasterCraft Customer issues are being resolved. So my advice, instead of me diagnosing your issue, is to document it well and turn it over to your dealer for resolution. They should have the talent to fix it AND if they don't...take it to another MC dealer and get a second opinion. My dealer here in Cincy resolves all issues quickly without effort and yours should do the same!

Again, document, document, document - this way if they cannot figure it out, they can send your notes to ilmor/medallion/Murphy or whomever - one specific thing you note may help them resolve it for you.

Again good luck we hope your issues are resolved quickly
__________________
KWTC

2012 X25
2003 X9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM.