Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCraft View Post
Well, I went to the MC source today and I'm a happy camper.

I was given a summary of the latest 2012 Medallion Software update that is in the dealers hands now and think it will resolve PP and that it allows for piggy backing. To adjust the timers on the 2012 with the touch screens, there is a tool your dealer will use to flash in that config. If they don't have the tool already, it is on the way.

For those without PnP (like mine) you will piggy back a sac and then your dealer will adjust the timer (revolutions of the pump) accordingly. For example if you piggy a 750# bag to the port locker, then have the dealer quadruple the revolutions (250# hard tank + 3 times the length of time) for that pump to fill the hard tank, then the sac. It will also correspond to the % full as a 1000# ballast on the touch screen. So now at 25% full, just the hard tank will be full...and at 75% full, 50% of the bag plus the entire hard tank.

One key item to remember, for some reason he mentioned to not delete 'the boat' in the touch screen config, that will cause you to have to have it reprogrammed by the dealer.

Also note a mute button will be on most or all screens and user interface has been improved for cruise. Also fixed the sensitivity of the screen. The update also addresses PnP boats as well.

He said they tested it thoroughly. To be frank, I was pretty impressed with the level of detail and comprehension of the issues he had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
My concern is that for whatever reason the revolutions of the pump as a timing device is totally inaccurate. It was like playing plinko filling my tanks as they were always showing different levels. The only time I knew the levels for sure was when water was coming out of overflows.

Although, sounds like they have taken this thing seriously.
For 2010 the BIG works by timing how long the pump runs as well; you can call that revolutions I guess. You can adjust the amount of time in the BIG - no dealer involvement required. So yes it was inaccurate as well. To get it to be the most accurate I needed to consistent about having the boat running at 1500 RPM when the pumps are being run. Thing is I rarely remembered to do that when playing with the rider settings. The difference in 2010 was that you could just look at the display to see where the tanks were at because that was driven by senders in the ballast tanks. Once I understood what was going on, I could get the rider settings to function fairly well.

In the end I ended up not using "rider" profiles. I have the ballast timers set so that they will always overfill. I just fill the ballast to where I want it, set the desired speed and drop the throttle. The trim tab I control by hand. Honestly, Mercruiser has it right by having the trim switch right on the throttle where you can adjust it with your thumb - I know, complete heresy for the inboard folks. I really liked that because you did not have to go looking for the switch if you needed to adjust the trim. Hum, maybe I just figured out what a good winter project would be.

The efficiency of your impeller will change over time with wear. It's just plain stupid to expect boat owners to return to the dealer, in many cases hundreds of miles away, to have that adjustment done. Also, the only way to tell is set at the correct amount of time is by making that adjustment on the lake. You should see if you can push to have this as a "user" adjustment. Seems to me if they could do it for 2010 they can do it for 2012. Just my
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Wouldn't that be 11k a year?? Or is your boat a 2011?
my boat is a 2010
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Anyone know if the 2013's have senders for ballast tank levels.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Yeah I hear you, they could always do more. I think the impellers for these pumps should be changed before they wear out and aren't accurate. That would reduce trips to the dealer. I get the point on wanting it configurable by the user, but at least now I have the features I needed. Saved me 2k in updating the ballast system.

I also think that on all years that it is wise to have the alternator spinning at a decent speed (1500 rpm) while drawing the current these pumps demand.

I believe the 2013's have a sending unit in the tank.

2013 is going to be a much better year for all of us. I feel that with this update and a few more upgrades I'm doing, I'm close to a 2013 as I can get (still not a 2013 but the gap has narrowed). The 2013 are a nice step forward Nick, you'll be very pleased with your boat and I would have done what you did 10 times out of 10. My scenario is different, I had a trade boat, my dealer has bent over backwards and yesterday solved my concerns.

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 01-13-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Yeah I hear you, they could always do more. I think the impellers for these pumps should be changed before they wear out and aren't accurate. That would reduce trips to the dealer. I get the point on wanting it configurable by the user, but at least now I have the features I needed. Saved me 2k in updating the ballast system.

I also think that on all years that it is wise to have the alternator spinning at a decent speed (1500 rpm) while drawing the current these pumps demand.

I believe the 2013's have a sending unit in the tank.

2013 is going to be a much better year for all of us. I feel that with this update and a few more upgrades I'm doing, I'm close to a 2013 as I can get (still not a 2013 but the gap has narrowed). The 2013 are a nice step forward Nick, you'll be very pleased with your boat and I would have done what you did 10 times out of 10. My scenario is different, I had a trade boat, my dealer has bent over backwards and yesterday solved my concerns.
My only problem now is I think the 2013 is the last year of current gel scheme.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
My only problem now is I think the 2013 is the last year of current gel scheme.
Better trade your 13' in on a 14'
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Quote:
Well, I went to the MC source today and I'm a happy camper.
Thanks Kahuna, this will be one thing Jibber and I HAVE to get done before the season...

can I ask you to post a picture or the numbers of your GDIG/BIG Versions?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
I'll get a picture once my upgrade is done that captures version numbers. It's -37 C here today, and the upgrade requires a water test, to bring the boat up to 4,000rpm's. sounds like a substantial upgrade. Also read that FourtyFour had a version from October where he confirmed that version (older than this one) was much better that the versions from the summer.

I'm going off of what I was told by MC's prime, the guy was very well versed in the issues. He confirmed that the software is avail to the dealers now, but they needed some sort of tool to do it.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
I'll get a picture once my upgrade is done that captures version numbers. It's -37 C here today, and the upgrade requires a water test, to bring the boat up to 4,000rpm's. sounds like a substantial upgrade. Also read that FourtyFour had a version from October where he confirmed that version (older than this one) was much better that the versions from the summer.

I'm going off of what I was told by MC's prime, the guy was very well versed in the issues. He confirmed that the software is avail to the dealers now, but they needed some sort of tool to do it.
See 2012 Instrument Systems Manual under owner's manuals in the knowledge center:
http://mastercraft.com/files/manuals...bf3632d84b.pdf

It says
Quote:
A Medallion Universal Programming Tool and Harness
under Required Tools on page 33 of the PDF.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Also read that FourtyFour had a version from October where he confirmed that version (older than this one) was much better that the versions from the summer.
That is correct. It was a million times better. The only complaint that i still had, was with the ballast levels..... Everything else worked great.

User programability of the ballast timers should help alot. Without level sensors in the tanks, I am not sure how good the system will ever be.....But, it should help enough.