Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I just cleaned it with soapy water and a stiff brush, sanded 100 then 150. When I added the first coat of oil and mineral spirits, I let it sit, but it soaked it up pretty quick. It barely even looked like I did anything to it. I added another coat the next day or so, and set a cup of oil on the back of the platform. I had some work being done on my bathroom and the tile guys used my garage as their place to cut all the tile and they must have bumped the boat at some point bc when I came back out there that cup with oil had tipped over. So it sat for a good week or so just soaking in on that one section. The rest went to the floor. I have a nice oiled spot on my concrete floor now. I added the last coat while sitting in the sun. I may still have to add another if it soaks in some more though. I will see when I get back home in a couple days.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
Yeah, I thought about sanding it down some. Maybe I will sand the edge down and move it out a bit. Are there any negatives to unscrewing it and moving the brackets back on the teak more?
Were you able to do a little sanding on the platform? It looks like it is only rubbing on two sections. I would look at the platform in those two areas and sand back the bottom edge a little, keeping the top edge the same. In other words, the face on the transom should be sanded at a little bit of an angle. Like it was mentioned, try to keep the same arch.

The issue with moving the brackets would be that you may have to move it too much to create new holes in the platform, creating too much of a gap between the transom and platform. I would think you would need to move it about a half inch or so for the new holes.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
CC2MC that looks great!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '02 X-Star. Previous: '98 SportStar, '89 ProStar
What does the mineral spirits do? I hadn't heard of using that.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Can somebody please tell me the type of soap for wet sanding? I assume dishwashing soap is not good as it repels oil? Ready to wet sand.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
slinkyredfoot

Great!!!
Keep up the good work.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
MC Devotee

I believe I did use dawn or whatever I had, but did not use very much. I had mildew on the bottom so the combination of the soap and stiff brush was able to get the majority of it off. What was left behind was taken care of with a little sanding.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
I believe I did use dawn or whatever I had, but did not use very much. I had mildew on the bottom so the combination of the soap and stiff brush was able to get the majority of it off. What was left behind was taken care of with a little sanding.
Mine is pretty clean and ready to wet sand. Do you think I need soap, or just moisture for the fine grit sanding?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM
MC Devotee

I would probably at least rinse it with some soapy water to get any unseen contaminates off. I did not wet sand mine as i don't really need it that smooth. The smoother it is, the nicer it may look but the slicker it becomes when wet. Maybe someone else has a better answer to that. I would not think that the teak would really wet sand very well, but I could be wrong. What grit are you going up to?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM
MC Devotee

I did 150, then 220 grit then a heavy coat of Starbright Gold. I then went on vacation for 2 weeks and in my fairly cold garage it has soaked in some. Still looks covered pretty well in most areas. I might just hit it again with another coat and see how it looks in a month or two. Hasn't been above freezing here in my Colorado town for 26 days and counting, so spring is a while away. I don't want slick either, just a good looking, useful platform as I use it to put my ski on with.