Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
How big a garage for an X-star?

Hey Guys,
starting to look at houses/condos. i would really like the option of keeping my 2007 xstar at the house if a bad storm or a cold night is coming. i have really cheap winter storage, so that wouldn't be a huge deal. Does anyone here keep their star in the garage? i know my trailer is 24 ft even with the fold-away tongue, and since its a 2007 i have the exhaust tips that stick out about 4 inches. How big does it need to be to fit?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
sounds like 24'-4" . If you don't mind angling it in alil bit you can cut that down. I have a 2005 star trailer and fit my boat in a 20'x20' garage but its a 20 min ordeal to get in, get platform off, etc since you have to hand angle it on double layered plastic. If you were just doing it in a pinch you can make alot work. In my area its almost impossible to find 24'+ garages unless you build it yourself.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Even if you can find a really deep garage I've found that the depth isn't the real problem on my 07 X2 but the height of the door. Even with my tower down I had issues getting past the windshield and the racks. I ended up having to lower the dolly wheel all the way down to get past the windshield then taking the entire back half of the tower off to get clearance for the racks. I'd expect that with the Star the boat would be even taller and most garages will not have a door that is going to give you the vertical clearance to get it in the garage.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-15 5.7 Liter Ilmor
garage size

Our garage is 21'6" long. Our old boat (96 PS 190) was 21'4" long on the trailer w/o platform. From my experience with this, it was a nightmare. It was extremely difficult to get the boat into place and I had ductape on the floor to mark where each wheel had to be. I typically had to move it the last 3-5 feet by hand. This was difficult with a 2400 lb prostar on a 1000 lb trailer. If you have to do this with a 4000 lb star on a 1000 lb trailer I would say it will be extremely difficult. You probably have a tandem trailer too which will make turning next to impossible. My suggestion would be not to cut it close. Make sure you have sufficient room to move the boat with your tow rig and not by hand.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Even if you can find a really deep garage I've found that the depth isn't the real problem on my 07 X2 but the height of the door. Even with my tower down I had issues getting past the windshield and the racks. I ended up having to lower the dolly wheel all the way down to get past the windshield then taking the entire back half of the tower off to get clearance for the racks. I'd expect that with the Star the boat would be even taller and most garages will not have a door that is going to give you the vertical clearance to get it in the garage.
This is the problem I had with my 2004 X-10. Even with the tower folded all the way, the tower was still 3" too tall for my garage. I ended up changing out the wheel on the jack, replacing it with one which was smaller. Now, the tower clears with about 1/4" to spare.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
If you get lucky enough to find the right size garage, great. Otherwise don't base your house purchase on the garage, you can always build one.

I'm lucky......40X52 pole barn with 12X12 ft doors. My tower has never been down since new.

Name:  wheels from trailer 008.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  125.5 KB

We had this built for under $24K. No concrete floor yet however.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
very nice!!!

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house