Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
Looking at used X30 have some questions

Looking at used X30 models and found a used 2004. After discussing with the owner he mentioned that the motor was replaced 3 yrs ago because it froze in winter. This immediatley put up a red flag for me but wanted to ask the members on this forum thoughts.

second question:

We are family boaters, we ski, kneeboard and wakeboard. I would also like to surf and I think the X30 would fit us. Would like something in the 22 - 24' range.

This would be my first direct drive boat, everything stern drive.

Any suggestion on model or year would be appreciated also, my budget is in the 25 - 30K range

thanks for any replies or info
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
X-30 is a great all-around boat. Makes great wakeboard wake and the factory ballast is decent enough to surf. I suggest going with a different prop than stock. For your budget, sounds like 02-04 should be attainable. Just remember that MC upholstery sucked in those years. I battling this now.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
MC Fanatic

he did mention the seats have some cracks
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X30
I have a 2003 x30. I LOVE IT. Its not as uncommon as you might think to hear someone pushed it too far in the season and wound up with a frozen block. That being said he probably learned is lesson. Just get it properly inspected. As far as the interior goes??? Yep t was thin in those years. MC has since improved. As we speak Jim at Viper customs is redoing my entire interior.

Depending on the price... It's one heck of a boat!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 PM
MC Fanatic

he is asking 28K, he advertised it with 200 hrs. he is stating new motor only has 30 hrs

thanks for feedback on the X30, do you surf behind yours
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, 2003, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51timber View Post
I have a 2003 x30. I LOVE IT. Its not as uncommon as you might think to hear someone pushed it too far in the season and wound up with a frozen block. That being said he probably learned is lesson. Just get it properly inspected. As far as the interior goes??? Yep t was thin in those years. MC has since improved. As we speak Jim at Viper customs is redoing my entire interior.

Depending on the price... It's one heck of a boat!
^^^
I think we have the same boat.

I echo what 51timber said, it's an very solid boat but get it inspected.

That said, the interior will need to be redone with updated vinyl if it hasn't already (mines cracking). The new engine call out, shouldn't be that big of a deal depending on if it was a rebuild or a new crate motor, but I would try to talk the owner down a bit because of it (if it was me, I would).

Get it inspected, check the driver side panel with the shifter on it and all the switches. Many times from this model year, that panel had to be replaced due to bad design, but it's not that pricey if it has to be done. But if it was a hack job, you could end up with ballast tanks not working or bad throttle response.

Mine's been bullet proof outside of general maintenance on a 10 year old boat, and tbh I've had more issues with my trailer than the boat. Replaced the swing away tongue with a UFP (http://www.ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx), and four the brakes including the brake lines......
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I'd say at that price with a new engine it's not a bad deal. Maybe aim for 25k. If he bites, good for you. If not, you still win. And yes I surf behind mine. You can right out of the box.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Sounds like you are relatively right on in size, budget and and capablilty.

Again, find out how the replacement engine was handled and who did it. Might talk to them and/or who ever regularly works on the boat. Dont expect too much but you might gain some info and its only a phone call.
If they froze the block, any chance hard ballast tanks cracked?
Always do a full lake test! Many problems can hide even sitting on a hose. If it is cold, bundle up and offer to rewinterize. It will pay off as will a $150 payment to a local boat mechanic to meet you and look it over if you dont know boats well.

If you are trailering it any distance, make sure the bearings have been repacked, how old the tires are and the last time the brakes were bled.
A $30 vacuum kit from harbor freight, almost any first timer can self bleed in less than an hour. That can tell you how rusty internal brake parts are and will probably easily pay for itself in negotiated price or knowing what you might be getting into.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM
MC Fanatic

thanks for all the replies, I never thought of the ballast tanks freezing. the boat is in Texas and is not winterized so it could be started and probably water tested. This is probably the cheapest one I have found but one of the farthest away from me almost 10 hrs. Thanks for info on throttle panel and switches, how would I tell if it was changed.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
If you feel 98% comfortable from phone and pics, you might try to pick a lake and meet in the middle.
Getting seller to travel helps assure the trailer is road worthy and they have an equal buy in to make the transaction work if there are minor issues.
Few is more disappointing than traveling that far and being significantly different than represented or the seller not willing to compromise knowing you want it and have everything invested in accepting while they just walk back inside.

I have bought two boats from the East coast this way.
Dont know where you are in the "midwest" or what part of tx but there are plenty of lakes along I-35