Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf_koch View Post
The house is looking great. You made a great choice with the 12 course basement. It will make it much easier to finish and not make it feel like a cave with low ceilings.

I grew up in Copley and would love to move back to that side of town. It is a great place to live with its access to land, the interstate and CVNP. I'm envious of your situation. Keep up with the pictures.
Thanks. I have a great opportunity for you to move back to Copley with a house that is getting ready to go on the market....I will make you a great deal!

As you said, the area is very nice and has easy access to the airports, highways, parks, restaurants, shopping, etc.. about the only thing missing is a nice private lake out my back door!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 AM
MC Devotee

1/20/13 Update: Gasline and footer drains trenched.

Picked up the trencher at 7:30 Saturday morning and was trenching by 8:30am....it took roughly 3.5 hours to trench 500 feet of gasline in and backfilled, granted I went a little deeper than code. The ground was pretty hard in spots and the machine, while the being the largest they rent, just seemed to be lacking in power (I think these rental machines just get tired over the years and lose something).
Got the 120' of footer drain trenched in, tied in and backfilled. Today is the electric which only needs to run about 100 feet and with the cold temps, the top layer of ground should be good and stable to support the weight of the machine in the soft spots.

I will get some pics of the machine in action today.

All rough plumbing is now done and we start pulling water lines today.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 AM
MC Devotee

Any painters out there that want to provide some good advice:
We are handling all of our own painting and staining and while I have done more than my fair share of painting, the staining aspect is something that I have not done a lot of. My plan was to set-up a couple of temporary spray booths in the basement where I could spray all of the trim prior to going up. I know it is best to sand the trim between coats but do you also polyurethane it or leave it at the stained finish? I am pretty sure I will have to stain the steps to the second floor with a brush as I don't see any way to spary those.
Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Thanks. I have a great opportunity for you to move back to Copley with a house that is getting ready to go on the market....I will make you a great deal!

As you said, the area is very nice and has easy access to the airports, highways, parks, restaurants, shopping, etc.. about the only thing missing is a nice private lake out my back door!
Your not too far from Emerald Lake though.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Sand, Stain, sanding seal, sand, polyurethane.

You could probably do all by hand and then pay someone to spray the poly

Clarify your question on the stairs

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
Quote:
We are handling all of our own painting and staining and while I have done more than my fair share of painting, the staining aspect is something that I have not done a lot of. My plan was to set-up a couple of temporary spray booths in the basement where I could spray all of the trim prior to going up. I know it is best to sand the trim between coats but do you also polyurethane it or leave it at the stained finish? I am pretty sure I will have to stain the steps to the second floor with a brush as I don't see any way to spary those.
I worked for a painter while I was in college. We used to stain all the trim on sawhorses before it went up, stain and 1st coat of sealer before install then sand fill nail holes and 2nd coat after it was put up. The homebuilders we worked with called for painted doors and stained jambs, but I'm sure you could build some kind of framework in 1 or 2 rooms to hold all the doors up so you could do all sides without moving them. Stairs, fireplaces etc. were all finished after they were in.

You should also try to finish all the painting of the walls before the trim goes up. It'll save you a lot of time cutting in around trim. After you'll still need to touch up the marks from the other subcontractors but it's worth it.

We didn't do hardwood floors, if you question about the stairs was about the steps themselves disregard my above statement. If you need I can recommend a hardwood floor guy who redid mine about 4 years ago and I was really pleased with.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
My brother-in-law is a professional painter and he did my house, paint and stain. He stained all my trim and did it with a rag or sponge, just wiped it on. I wouldn't go through the effort of spraying...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-20-2013, 05:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Quote:
Message magred on here. he should be able to help you out
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
You looking to seal and stain in one step or stain then seal?
Walls going different color then the ceiling? What sheens are you looking for?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Forgot to ask what sprayer you have?

Here's a pic of my work.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358725974.881924.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  83.2 KB