Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
Ski School Prep

Well, looks like I'm gonna be going to a ski school sometime late spring/early summer. I haven't finalized the dates yet, but I plan on going to Coble Ski School. I know several of you guys have been to ski schools so I need you to fill me in on what I need to take with me, what I need to do to prepare, what to expect, etc.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Glove liners, and anything else to help your hands/blisters
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
What Rod said. Lots of athletic woven tape. Tape your hands wrist over each finger to wrist, then wrap your wrist with tape. It will save your hands. If you don't regularly use liners, they might make matters worse. Make sure you have the right sized gloves as well. Most people order too large. Use the sizing chart in an Overtons catalog. If they are too big, they will move around and blisters will follow.

I have started using the palm pads. They help a lot.

Hold the handle in your fingertips, and enjoy yourself.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Lot of crunches and squats. The back and legs tend to give out early if the hands hold up. I'd also say a great deal of openness to trying something new. If you go to a school for the first time, by the end of your visit you'll often find that your skiing is only peripherally related to what you were doing in the past.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Crossfit gym for cardio and power and lots of dead lifts to toughen up the hands.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
I'm a 5x per week crossfitter for the past couple of year so I hope that will be enough to keep my cardio where it needs to be. Gonna focus on leg and lower back strength over the next few months. On the topic of hands, what type of gloves and liners do you guys recommend? East Tx, do you have a pic of the type of taping you are describing?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Make sure you get lot's of sleep at night - but you know that from your cross fit. Besides hands - your groin and hammies are vulnerable. Due to the amount of skiing you will be doing make sure you don't get a fatigue injury - like flipping over the front of your ski when tired. Some lactose threshold training will be beneficial - working out at the 80-90% level of your max heart rate. Do this a few times a week thru hi intensity intervals. This will train your body to process and buffer lactic acid buildup.

If you're going to train hard at the school get a heart rate monitor, if you start working in your 90% and up range - not hard to do if your cross-fit training - you want to stay out of this range otherwise your fatigue and muscle pain will not cease between days.

Or you could blood dope and where the best gloves you can afford
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Sunsetter LXI 2006 Indmar 320
Wow Mike. Are you getting him ready for ski school or to go off to combat
I learned the proper preparation from Dirk himself.....gin and tonic curls
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Tim View Post
Wow Mike. Are you getting him ready for ski school or to go off to combat
I learned the proper preparation from Dirk himself.....gin and tonic curls
I like the couch curls... but I also remember not being able to walk 36 hours after 90 minutes with Dirk (I assume you mean pine lake).

I bicycle alot - my short ride is 30 miles... and I try do that in about 90 - 100 minutes.. I felt so lousy after my 90 minutes at Pine Lake and couldn't ride daily when I didn't ski - till I learned about that.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Sunsetter LXI 2006 Indmar 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I like the couch curls... but I also remember not being able to walk 36 hours after 90 minutes with Dirk (I assume you mean pine lake).

I bicycle alot - my short ride is 30 miles... and I try do that in about 90 - 100 minutes.. I felt so lousy after my 90 minutes at Pine Lake and couldn't ride daily when I didn't ski - till I learned about that.
Could there be any other Dirk! Guess the gin and tonics I was referring to we're the ones he an I shared while my kids were off on their sessions
I was just giving you a hard time on the prep. Intense skiing definitely uses a combination of muscles that is hard to replicate via any other activity. If you have plans in the future to be at PLSS, let me know, as it would be great to meet. I'm only a mile from Dirk's place.