Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
I have a hard time envisioning why anyone would have serious speed holding concerns below surfing speeds (9mph?) unless youre in a no-wake zone or pulling a small child like ETS mentioned. Either case would seemingly benefit more from keeping a close eye on your wake/child to make sure speed is appropriate, rather than keeping an eye on your speedo.

Skiing speeds are most important for accuracy, but knowing the difference between 47mph and 49mph are more important to me than <6mph. I have some boats that will peg the speedos and then some... so maybe the opinion of this mouth breather doesnt count?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
I have a hard time envisioning why anyone would have serious speed holding concerns below surfing speeds (9mph?) unless youre in a no-wake zone or pulling a small child like ETS mentioned. Either case would seemingly benefit more from keeping a close eye on your wake/child to make sure speed is appropriate, rather than keeping an eye on your speedo.

Skiing speeds are most important for accuracy, but knowing the difference between 47mph and 49mph are more important to me than <6mph. I have some boats that will peg the speedos and then some... so maybe the opinion of this mouth breather doesnt count?
What they're saying, is that not many of us are running at 49 with someone in tow, in fact most of us can't run that. These boats were not designed for those speeds. The difference in 1/2 of a mph while wakeboarding at 20 would likely be much more notable than the 2 between 47-49 while barefooting in my experience.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03geetee View Post
Yeah dont need top end, Hooligan might need the 200mph capability but the rest of us non mouth breathers like anything thats accurate to 45mph.

JTR
Quote:

Don't tell me Hooligan made it back in as TRBenj

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
What they're saying, is that not many of us are running at 49 with someone in tow, in fact most of us can't run that. These boats were not designed for those speeds. The difference in 1/2 of a mph while wakeboarding at 20 would likely be much more notable than the 2 between 47-49 while barefooting in my experience.
Oh I understand what theyre saying, and I agree about the precision at ski speeds being king. If a compromise needs to be made at either extreme (high vs. low speed), and this change effects all of the Airguides that Dean makes, my point is that those of us who can run higher speeds probably care about that more than the 0-5mph range. Heck, I run about 5mph while in gear, at idle... and the Airguides arent accurate that slow anyways.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:

Tim, you have a good point. The only reason I know what speeds I have pulled the little ones is because I looked at the GPS speedo after the fact, i.e., after I did it by feel and made sure everything looked good behind the boat. High end is probably the better place to know the small differences in speed.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Tim, you have a good point. The only reason I know what speeds I have pulled the little ones is because I looked at the GPS speedo after the fact, i.e., after I did it by feel and made sure everything looked good behind the boat. High end is probably the better place to know the small differences in speed.
I guess I couldn't disagree here.

Dean.....if you set the speedometer to be correct at 50 mph, at what point would it be accurate at the low speeds?

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
I agree 100%.

Most boat speedos are not very accurate at low speeds, so not loss there, but it would really, really bug me if the speedo range did not include the top speed of the boat...
Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
As long as it's accurate starting at 8-9 it should be fine.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Many
Quote:
Oh I understand what theyre saying, and I agree about the precision at ski speeds being king. If a compromise needs to be made at either extreme (high vs. low speed), and this change effects all of the Airguides that Dean makes, my point is that those of us who can run higher speeds probably care about that more than the 0-5mph range. Heck, I run about 5mph while in gear, at idle... and the Airguides aren't accurate that slow anyways.
Guys. The speedometer can be calibrated to give you the low end or the high end.

If you choose the high end the needle will settle at 5 mph. So you have a couple mph and maybe a post that the needle will not settle at. This is a visual difference in my opinion. Will you be bothered that your needle is not settling at the bottom of the scale when your boat is stopped?

If you choose the low end of course the opposite is true. Needle settles at the bottom of the scale but can not quite reach 50 mph.

Each speedometer has to be calibrated to its dial scale.
You will have the choice of top or bottom of the scale accuracy. I think it is an aesthetic issue when your boat is stopped an accuracy issue at the top of the 50 mph scale.

Other higher speed speedometers will get a different calibration. I haven't tried yet but an 80 mph model 2025 might have to start at 5 or 10 to reach the full 80 mph (I am guessing here) the scale is very close to the 3 to 50 mph scale. Assume the calibration has to start at 10 to reach the full 80 mph. You would have the same issue. Do I start at 10 and my needle doesn't go to the bottom of the scale or start at 5 and come up slightly short at the top end?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Many
The Bad and the Good

The Bad and the Good

First the Bad: I withdrew my participation in the development of the GPS retrofit with the company I was working with. The business terms are simply unacceptable.

Now the Good: I am not stopping work on the development of a retrofit. I have already begun working with two sources to engineer a retrofit board and a frame to hold the board in the proper position. My goal is to have the board fit onto the frame so you remove the mechanical mechanism and replace it with the new frame, attach the board, attach the dial, attach the adjustment knob (if you have one), and close up your speedometer. I will use your input in the design.

Dean

Tags
airguide, gps, speedometer