Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Jim, I think he's referring to the fact that the date is off on mine. Mine is not motion sensor. Continuous loop.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Jim, I think he's referring to the fact that the date is off on mine. Mine is not motion sensor. Continuous loop.
Yeah, well, if I had thought of THAT, I could have come up with an answer that actually applied.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200- Yamaha Pro-v
Any updates to this thread? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a system at Costco, but wanted to hear your review on here.

Thanks,
Dylan
Old 02-08-2013, 04:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Any updates to this thread? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a system at Costco, but wanted to hear your review on here.

Thanks,
Dylan
You might want to keep looking.

http://securityadvancement.com/2013/01/dvr-flaw-swann/
Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200- Yamaha Pro-v
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I read that link, and am mostly confused.

I think I'll roll the dice on the fact that no one is going to want to look at a 24hr loop of my driveway and/or sideyard. I keep my gold bars stored off site, as well and my sinister experiments are kept in the basement.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:

I think I'll roll the dice on the fact that no one is going to want to look at a 24hr loop of my driveway and/or sideyard. I keep my gold bars stored off site, as well and my sinister experiments are kept in the basement.
It means that someone found serious vulnerability and not only can they get into the DVR, they can see the IP address, user name/password, gateway address and with a few educated guesses, would be able to install keystroke logger/virus or gain control of any computers in the network.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:

Quote:
It means that someone found serious vulnerability and not only can they get into the DVR, they can see the IP address, user name/password, gateway address and with a few educated guesses, would be able to install keystroke logger/virus or gain control of any computers in the network.
And again, why would anyone want to do that looking at Dylan's (Or my) backyard and driveway? I understand it is different if you are surveying something with more value.

I'm going to do some cameras at the house I'm building. I have limited experience with cameras, but my brother in law (how's that Pete???) works for a higher end security company (they do gillette stadium and many other big clients) is going to give me some suggestions. I'll report back when I figure out what I'm doing

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
And again, why would anyone want to do that looking at Dylan's (Or my) backyard and driveway? I understand it is different if you are surveying something with more value.

I'm going to do some cameras at the house I'm building. I have limited experience with cameras, but my brother in law (how's that Pete???) works for a higher end security company (they do gillette stadium and many other big clients) is going to give me some suggestions. I'll report back when I figure out what I'm doing
Well, they could watch for everyone to leave and go to the house and do a bit of "shopping".

If the budget isn't large, pass on IP-based cameras, but run Cat5e to each camera location instead of RG59/18-2 cable- baluns can be used for the video feed and power can be run on the other pairs. If you decide to change to IP later, it's usually a matter of putting an RJ45 on the end and plugging it in. At the head end, a PoE (Power over Ethernet) adapter would feed the cameras. Some cameras have RS485 control- one pair of wires connects to the cameras that have this and to a specific pair of terminals on the DVR and this allows camera setup changes to be made without going to the camera, itself.

Speaking of power, 24VAC is the way to go. The line loss from using a DC power supply shortens camera life and causes problems with ground loops. If a camera that uses DC happens to be the best choice for one or two locations, an AC-DC converter can be used at the camera location (never at the head end unless it's very close to the camera that needs it).

Last edited by JimN; 02-09-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X45
Quote:
Well, they could watch for everyone to leave and go to the house and do a bit of "shopping".

If the budget isn't large, pass on IP-based cameras, but run Cat5e to each camera location instead of RG59/18-2 cable- baluns can be used for the video feed and power can be run on the other pairs. If you decide to change to IP later, it's usually a matter of putting an RJ45 on the end and plugging it in. At the head end, a PoE (Power over Ethernet) adapter would feed the cameras. Some cameras have RS485 control- one pair of wires connects to the cameras that have this and to a specific pair of terminals on the DVR and this allows camera setup changes to be made without going to the camera, itself.

Speaking of power, 24VAC is the way to go. The line loss from usign a DC power supply shortens camera life and causes problems with ground loops. If a camera that uses DC happens to be the best choice for one or two locations, an AC-DC converter can be used at the camera location (never at the head end unless it's very close to the camera that needs it).
you lost me at Well,........
Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I have been looking at camera security king equipment. They have the 4 channel and the 8 channel system. Does anyone have any opinion on them? I went and looked at the swan system at frys the other day. It sure seemed cheaply made.

Anyone have any good feedback on any of their systems?