Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: prostar 205 2000
There's an upholsterer in Clayton that has a good reputation - I have not dealt with them yet. I am planning on having them redo my driver seat cushion sometime this winter. They advertise on craigslist occasionally - I think I have their contact info saved off somewhere.

No idea if they can or will do skins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
I can't imagine the shipping on sending the entire interior. WIll look into it though lol
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Ok guys need an opinion. Running through some options on interior and this is a wee bit beyond me. Right now have a good price for skins. Which btw I can not say enough good about Jim at Viper. He has been fantastic to work with so far with options, getting me tedious quotes, and answering my assault of rediculous questions.

So how difficult is the installation of the skins and has anyone opted to have a local shop install someone elses skins in their boat. My problem is the logistics of getting a boat 8 hours down the road and then returning the next week to pick it up. Lots of gas burned on top of having it done.
If you don't know the tricks of the trade, it can be a real PITA. If you do, not so bad. You have to have a local shop that can do this
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Ask Jim for ideas. He's done a few on his own to sell. There's a ps190 and a Supra (Legacy maybe?) he did that are awesome. Check pics on his Facebook page for ideas too.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
If you don't know the tricks of the trade, it can be a real PITA. If you do, not so bad. You have to have a local shop that can do this
Well actually think I lucked out. A buddy of my brother that I know has been working on basic interiors for awhile now and has all the tools of the trade at his shop. Its about 3 hours down the road but going to load up the 5x8 and run them down to him. Shouldn't cost more than beer/dinner/supplies

Jim has been excellent about colors etc and ideas I'm just struggling where to go with it color wise. Its all white (no color at all) inside now so hard to mentally see it with color
Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Well actually think I lucked out. A buddy of my brother that I know has been working on basic interiors for awhile now and has all the tools of the trade at his shop. Its about 3 hours down the road but going to load up the 5x8 and run them down to him. Shouldn't cost more than beer/dinner/supplies

Jim has been excellent about colors etc and ideas I'm just struggling where to go with it color wise. Its all white (no color at all) inside now so hard to mentally see it with color
I wrote 'tricks' and that's what I meant. A stapler with stainless staples and a steamer are about as exotic as the tools need to be if you had the skins made and shipped to you. If he has a steamer, it will turn out best- the foam plumps when the steam hits it and the material is a lot more supple when it's warm. A heat gun is fine, but the steamer can't melt the vinyl. With a real heat gun, you can light a cigarette or cigar.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
TT Regular

yea he said he has a steamer and pneumatic stapler. While they aren't exotic I have neither. Worth the 3 hour drive as opposed to me renting/buying this equip. He's done a few interiors on older boats. If anything seems fishy I'll run like crazy lol

Quote:
There's an upholsterer in Clayton that has a good reputation - I have not dealt with them yet. I am planning on having them redo my driver seat cushion sometime this winter. They advertise on craigslist occasionally - I think I have their contact info saved off somewhere.
I've seen his ads but I tend to be scared of anything that comes out of clayton jk. A big plus is I get to help/watch with this guy and hopefully learn some of these tricks.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
yea he said he has a steamer and pneumatic stapler. While they aren't exotic I have neither. Worth the 3 hour drive as opposed to me renting/buying this equip. He's done a few interiors on older boats. If anything seems fishy I'll run like crazy lol
Watch how he does the corners. That's important to how they look and how they sit on a surface.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 xstar 8.1
I redid the skins in my xstar. I did a ton of research on the proper stapler and procedures to put them on myself. I am such a perfectionist that i did not want to have someone put them on for me and me be pissed because i could have done a better job. I did just under half of my interior and it cost me $52 to ship half way across the country. Personally i am happy i did them myself.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
I did a complete install on my former TriStar including the engine box and side panels. It was my first time doing something like this but I worked slow and steady and followed the "measure twice, trim once" approach. All I used were a hand-held clothes steamer for the foam, a hair dryer to soften up the vinyl as needed, and an electric staple gun. Once it was all done several people told me that it looked like a pro job.

Just this past week I installed the rear seat and bow seats in my X5 which I will be selling come spring. Those took a couple hours total.

With both boats I had the skins done locally. By stripping and reinstalling myself I likely saved $1000.

(I had the observer's seat on the X5 done two seasons ago by CopyCat Covers. Great job, but lousy customer service and communication.)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM
TT Regular

All I can say is I hate staples