Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Cold water gear after wakeboarding

Winter here has 55F water and air temps of 65F - pretty tolerable by most people's standards. I have no problems in the water with a 3/2 wetsuit, but I get cold in the boat, especially my feet. I'm looking for suggestions. What do you all do to keep your feet warm?

Today I tried keeping my wetsuit half on, but pulled it down to my waist, wore a hoody, and put on socks and wore what amount to slippers. It wasn't too bad, but the wetsuit gets cold (wind causes evaporation on the surface making it cold) and continues to "leak" water for awhile making the socks wet, plus people in and out of the boat make the carpet wet. Wet feet = cold feet, however.

I think next time I'll go to the effort of taking the wetsuit all the way off in between sets. It;s a little bit of a pain, but sweatpants would be much warmer. After that, it's just a matter of figuring out what to put on my feet to keep them dry and out of the breeze.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
If you can get a hold of the inserts for Sorel winter boots you can slide your feet into them to keep your tootsies (Pete taught me that word, thanks Pete), warm

I find that I leave everything on in between once it starts to get colder out

I don't really like wetsuits, so I ski in neoprene shorts, heater shirt, neoprene jacket in the late fall and a suit in early spring. Leave the gloves on also and maybe a toque. If the brain block is warm, I find the rest of me is normally warmer also

I am confused a bit though of your wetsuit getting cold, I wonder if it is a bit large maybe for you? A tight fitting wetsuit should elevate and maintain your body heat out of the water even better than in the water once it is wet. Also neoprene is water proof and wind proof

MONKEY FACE
Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Pour some warm water in. If you don't have a shower bring a cooler full. Also, can wear a ski parka, hat, gloves and boot liners in the boat. Don't take the wetsuit off unless you have a way to warm it. It's much worse to put a cold suit back on. Lots of the guys I go with wear dry suits and neoprene booties even inside their bindings. Of course we're in Wisconsin and don't get to that point until temps are 40's. We've made outings as low as 33-32 for a combined temp of 65. That involved a little ice, but was quite fun.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
How about one of those O'Brien 12v Heated Boat Blankets (waterskis.com)? My wife love's hers. I also found 'generic' versions for less than $20 each at Sears outlet.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
UGGS were made by surfers in Australia, the sheepskin lined boots are perfect w/o socks and keep your feet toasty, they may be a bit goofy looking but they awesome if your feet are a bit wet wehen you put them on...My experience is from hot tubbing and hot springs not h2o skiing. A heater in the boat goes a long way too.

unfortunately they've been popularized by sorostitiutes and other fashionistas.
Any cold weather surfer worth his salt may vouch that your not being gay for sporting them in a functional manner

Last edited by 46Chief; 01-14-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
UGGS were made by surfers in Australia, the sheepskin lined boots are perfect w/o socks and keep your feet toasty, they may be a bit goofy looking but they awesome if your feet are a bit wet wehen you put them on...

Any cold weather surfer worth his salt may vouch that your not being gay for sporting them in a functional manner
Uggs were the first thing to cross my mind. In the 80s, nearly ever surfer I came across had Uggs - all guys, and none of whom gave a damn what they looked like. All they cared about was they were really comfortable to wear after winter surfing. I find it amusing that an item first made popular by pot smoking male surfers is now a female fashion statement. I'd buy Uggs in a heartbeat (despite the fashion statement) if they hadn't become so expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram View Post
I am confused a bit though of your wetsuit getting cold, I wonder if it is a bit large maybe for you? A tight fitting wetsuit should elevate and maintain your body heat out of the water even better than in the water once it is wet. Also neoprene is water proof and wind proof
I think what's happening is either the wind is evaporating the water on the surface of the wetsuit and the cold is transferring through the neoprene or the wind is penetrating the seams of the wetsuit. I'm not sure which, all I know is my legs are colder in the boat than I was expecting. I'm sure it would be less noticeable if my feet were warm and dry.

I'm going to look into the Sorel liners - good idea. I had thought of full Sorel boots, maybe unlaced as I don't want to deal with laces.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
A dry suit solves all your problems. When it's really cold and you want to do more then one set, nothing beats a dry suit. When your done your first set you just takes the suit off, throw on a hoodie and slippers and you are good to go. In fact you will probably be hot.

Dry suits take a while to get used too and don't look as cool but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Plus they can be shared amount the boat.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
I'm planning on picking up a 4/3, maybe O'Neil Epic or Heat for the same reasons. Also added the hot water shower to the new build so I could just dump hot water into the suit. As for your feet, how about the Hyperlite Snowboard-style boots/bindings? Keep the boots ok between sets.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
UGGS were made by surfers in Australia, the sheepskin lined boots are perfect w/o socks and keep your feet toasty, they may be a bit goofy looking but they awesome if your feet are a bit wet wehen you put them on...My experience is from hot tubbing and hot springs not h2o skiing. A heater in the boat goes a long way too.

Hahaha I love your use of that word.
I've never seen a guy wear those before though..
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2 - 350MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Hahaha I love your use of that word.
I've never seen a guy wear those before though..
down under here.........
give you all the good oil (thats good oil not snake oil) advice.......
if you want to get the footsies warm real quick after a day on the water......... get a pair of uggs.........

we invented them and we love them......... sheepskin outside, lambswool inside and no sox needed..........

fashionista you mention????????

was in Honolulu recently....... the Japanese are paying a fortune ($500+) a pair for uggs covered in jewellery and all other bits of rubbish.........

you reckon the GOPro is a winner????????? The Japanese paying what they pay for them is!!!!!!!!!
know what we pay for them here............ hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!