Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakekrone View Post
Yeap, I have a ton of their equipment and alpha/beta test all the new products. If you do want to go with Sonos PM me, I can get you an insane discount for a new customer, can't help existing unfortunately
Is there a subscription or something with Sonos? If you are only buying equipment, what makes you a "new" customer? I had a guy at Best Buy trying to sell me on it, but I really didn't have time to listen to his pitch, but I'm intrigued.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheat View Post
Is there a subscription or something with Sonos? If you are only buying equipment, what makes you a "new" customer? I had a guy at Best Buy trying to sell me on it, but I really didn't have time to listen to his pitch, but I'm intrigued.
I'm still on target with the Sonos too, but I wanted to have hard wires in the ceiling for all the speakers. Everything is hard-wired to the basement where I intend to install the Sonos units. I also ran a few pairs on the outside of the house so we have music on the deck. I did a lot of research with separate keypads, controllers, etc. and Sonos seems to be the best system for us as well. If you do have deals on equipment, I'd be interested too.

1994 205, LT1
Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheat View Post
You need to sign up with an account and register your system to get the updates (free) that come out a few times a year. I can typically get 30% off your first order up to $3500 post discount.

There are no subscription services for Sonos directly, but some of the music services (Rdio, Pandora, Spotify, etc charge).

Don't want to sidetrack so feel free to DM me and we can talk. Sonos is probably by far the best purchase I've made for my home, it also has high wife approval factor as it just works!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
I'm still on target with the Sonos too, but I wanted to have hard wires in the ceiling for all the speakers. Everything is hard-wired to the basement where I intend to install the Sonos units. I also ran a few pairs on the outside of the house so we have music on the deck. I did a lot of research with separate keypads, controllers, etc. and Sonos seems to be the best system for us as well. If you do have deals on equipment, I'd be interested too.
DM me Jeff, I can save you a lot on your first order.

The downside to placing all the Sonos systems in one location is you don't get the benefit of their wireless mesh technology which their controllers use, however, lately the better solution for controlling it is via an android or iOS phone/tablet with your standard house wireless.

I've found for bedrooms, kitchens, and bathrooms nothing beats the sound out of an S5. This includes my speakercraft in ceiling speakers I have in my garage and shop. Pair and S5 with the new sub and wow!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
What does a "whole house' protector do for surges that were induced by an outside event, like lightning? Nothing at all. That means the power lines outside may not be the source, but the ones inside still need to be kept from causing problems. What about motors and pumps turning on/off? Those spikes can do a lot of damage to microprocessors.
Jim, don'r,understandyour comment...clarify...

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Jim, don'r,understandyour comment...clarify...

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Motors produce voltage spikes when they start and stop, as do relays and some switches. Microprocessors don't do well with these and can fail because of them. HDMI boards in AV receivers, specifically, are very susceptible to failure because of this (and it's a really, really bad design, IMO) and control processors aren't big fans of these spikes, either. Also, when lightning strikes near a building, the bolt can induce currents in the building's wiring- this is the reason lightning suppression cabling is required to be a minimum of 16" from any other electrical wiring- inductive coupling can cause a lot of damage. A whole house suppressor will do nothing for spikes/surges on the house side of the device, so suppressors/protectors are needed at the location of the sensitive equipment. Lighting systems cause all kinds of trouble, too- especially when dimmers are used and they're not the high quality type.

Data/comm, phone, AV/cable/satellite and power lines all experience problems with this, too- a whole-house suppressor at the panel doesn't do anything for surges that come in on phone/cable/satellite cabling when they're not protected and especially if they're not grounded per NEC requirements.

Repeated equipment failures is a red flag for checking into the power quality- it can be as simple as bad connections at the weather-head (lights dimming and clicks/pops when a fridge compressor starts/stops happened at my parents' house until the terminals were replaced- the old ones had dried out and the cable ends were corroded), industrial facilities causing power surges/dips because of their demand and proximity to the house, etc can cause these problems. Cutler-Hammer and other companies make a lot of different devices for removing this kind of problem- it's not the usual AV accessory companies who make the best, even though they act like they solve all of the problems with expensive boxes with pretty lights and fancy metal face plates. I'd rather have something in a plain box if it works.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakekrone View Post
You need to sign up with an account and register your system to get the updates (free) that come out a few times a year. I can typically get 30% off your first order up to $3500 post discount.

There are no subscription services for Sonos directly, but some of the music services (Rdio, Pandora, Spotify, etc charge).

Don't want to sidetrack so feel free to DM me and we can talk. Sonos is probably by far the best purchase I've made for my home, it also has high wife approval factor as it just works!
I wasn't aware online sales with stated discount was allowed by Sonos. How does their MAP fit in with your price- are you a dealer?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I wasn't aware online sales with stated discount was allowed by Sonos. How does their MAP fit in with your price- are you a dealer?
Nope not a dealer, I test all of their products. I've brought them quite a few customers so I just put you in touch with one of their PR VPs i know and you get a discount. I don't get anything out of the deal.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
1/12/13: Clean-up and underground plumbing.

If a picture tells a thousand words then to me, this says it all!

We spent a good bit of time yesterday simply cleaning-up the site. The nice thing about not having all of the windows in at this point is that a backpack blower really does a nice job of cleaning your house....if only it would work that way once it is all done! We also started the plumbing yesterday and got all of the underground in and plan to poke the stacks thru the roof today so that the roofer can seal everything up on Monday. Today we test the underground and then it is on to the first plumbing inspection!

So far so good!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
If a picture tells a thousand words then to me, this says it all!

We spent a good bit of time yesterday simply cleaning-up the site. The nice thing about not having all of the windows in at this point is that a backpack blower really does a nice job of cleaning your house....if only it would work that way once it is all done! We also started the plumbing yesterday and got all of the underground in and plan to poke the stacks thru the roof today so that the roofer can seal everything up on Monday. Today we test the underground and then it is on to the first plumbing inspection!

So far so good!
That is a great picture.....keep 'em coming!!!

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843