Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Oil Bath to Grease

While surfing the web I found - http://www.bearingbuddy.com/model.html. Notice the text

Quote:
Our 2080T (threaded model 2080) will fit the Reliable oil bath unit that is on many of the EZ Loader trailers.
on that page.

From the measurements I've taken on the threaded portion of my hub and the Oil Bath Cap I believe this would be the correct replacement.

I thought others might be interested in this so hence the post.

For me, I'm going to stick with the oil bath for a bit longer as I just did my annual inspection of the hubs/spindles/bearings/seals and dealing with the oil over grease is far easier.

If anyone has used this product, it would be good if you can post your experience.

Cheers!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-30 2004 MCX 350
Every boat trailer I have had before the Mastercraft had grease packed bearings and in my opinion, the bearing buddy is a must. I personally like the oil bath system and have experienced no problems. I change the oil every year during winterization.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
Bringing this old one back up.
Which one is better?
Why? and has anybody converted from one to the other?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
You will get many opinions on this. I just changed from the oil bath to the grease system. Not bc I wanted to, but bc I had to. I had no issues with the oil bath system, but I switched over to a completely different hub system that requires grease. I think the problems with an Oil Bath come from dunking the trailer right after you haul a distance and the hubs get hot. This can cause the water to condensate and get into the bearings through the seals. This can be avoided by letting the trailer sit and cool down before you put the boat in the water. The other big thing with the oil bath system is if you have a leak and lose all the oil, the problem will likely be catastrophic and could cause more damage than just the bearings. If you lose a bearing buddy, then the grease will likely at least stay in long enough to get to a destination or at least some place safe. Oil hubs are much easier when it comes to maintenance compared with the grease. Grease is also proven and has worked for years so if it ain't broke, right? Personally, I like the oil bath system, and I may eventually get another trailer that has the oil bath, but for now, I am good with the old grease method.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
You will get many opinions on this. I just changed from the oil bath to the grease system. Not bc I wanted to, but bc I had to. I had no issues with the oil bath system, but I switched over to a completely different hub system that requires grease. I think the problems with an Oil Bath come from dunking the trailer right after you haul a distance and the hubs get hot. This can cause the water to condensate and get into the bearings through the seals. This can be avoided by letting the trailer sit and cool down before you put the boat in the water. The other big thing with the oil bath system is if you have a leak and lose all the oil, the problem will likely be catastrophic and could cause more damage than just the bearings. If you lose a bearing buddy, then the grease will likely at least stay in long enough to get to a destination or at least some place safe. Oil hubs are much easier when it comes to maintenance compared with the grease. Grease is also proven and has worked for years so if it ain't broke, right? Personally, I like the oil bath system, and I may eventually get another trailer that has the oil bath, but for now, I am good with the old grease method.
I agree. Grease has proven itself for decades. Just helped a friend convert his oil bath hubs to grease after he discovered water intrusion in the hub. (Inner grease seal was the culprit). I have seen several trailers hubs loose their buddy bearing buddies or grease caps over the years. If that were to happen to a hub with an oil bath set up, then the trailer is either sidelined or destined for catastrophic bearing failure, as mentioned earlier. Grease might be a bit more messy, but to my mind, it's cheap insurance, comparatively speaking.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
If you are going to switch, why not go with Vortex, this is what MC is using now since 2012, I think. No service for 5 years.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...stud-1&i=81035
Old 04-22-2014, 10:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
If you are going to switch, why not go with Vortex, this is what MC is using now since 2012, I think. No service for 5 years.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...stud-1&i=81035
That Vortex stuff sounds cool, but I didn't see the 6 lug option.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
Vortex sounds like the way to go. I had never seen this before. Thanks, Mattscraft..
Old 04-22-2014, 12:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
That Vortex stuff sounds cool, but I didn't see the 6 lug option.
I would check around, I just saw that overtons was carrying them now. I am sure there are other dealers for them.

I can't tell you if they truly last for the long haul, only had the trailer with them for a year, no issues so far.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Honestly, I'd go plain grease hubs with bearing buddy (bb). If using grease, you should be checking the hub for water intrusion annually at winterization. Simple to knock off bb, inspect, replace, re-pressurize the bb with grease. When I had grease hubs, I re-packed the grease every two years at which time I was inspecting the bearings, races and seals.

I essentially do the same thing with the oil bath - full inspection every two years. The sight glass allows me to easily see any water intrusion any time. I use to tow a lot. Now, it is less than 1/10 mile to the water from the storage unit so I worry a lot less now days.

Personally, I would not go 5 years without inspecting bearings, races and seals.