Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
My first MC was an 02 X Star that I bought used for 37.5k. I owned it for 5 years and did all my own service, which amounted to only oil change/winterization and replaced the starter (my fault, I got it wet). I traded it in on my 2012 X-2 for 26k. That boat did almost everything I wanted (a little cramped with multiple passengers and not good in rough water). It cost me $2300 a year. I understand that boats are a lot more complicated and have a lot more bells and whistles than mine did, but really, the only whiz bang thing my new boat has over my old (not counting the different hull) is the attitude plate and auto launch.

I spent 70k on my new boat, which I feel is a rediculous amount of money. My decision to buy new was to keep the boat for 10+ years. The under warranty part was just added piece of mind, although I nievely expected to never have any real issues, and have to make maybe 1 trip to the dealer (the only reason my 1st MC ever went to the dealer was to trade it in). What I have found is that for me the warranty is more of a burden. I have to spend 3-4 hours of my time hauling the boat to the dealer, wait 1-2 weeks for them to fix what I could do in 4 hours, and then spend 3-4 more hours going back to pick it up. Also, don't forget about the $200 in gas that I don't get reimbursed for.

The new boat market is what it is. It's not what I thought it is, and it's not for me. Maybe I bought new on a bad year and I got one of the boats with more problems than normal for that year, but for the price of a new boat, I don't want to risk it again. I hopefully won't have to buy a new boat again, I just want the one I did buy to stop having to go into the dealer. From now on, I'll let others take the new boats and the new boat depreciation and work all of the bugs out for me. I'm scared to ask what my 70k boat that has an ugly one off year tower and a one off year control system is worth.

Back to the original topic of the thread, no one's really spoke up about 2013 issues, so that's good news. Although there probably aren't too many out there with any sort of hours accumulated yet.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Don't forget about the non-monetary intangibles, such as getting a new boat every year, being able to vary colours and options, no winter headaches, etc...

What about not making insurance payments half the year? I don't anticipate buying a new boat every year, however, for this year, I would have had to be a fool to not take the trade.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Non-monetary intangibles, being able to vary options - like a $660 standard spare tire?

Sorry, now I'm just being negative.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
Nick makes some good points. Getting a new boat is "fun". What's not to enjoy. Plus for us Canadians it gives us something to look forward too over the winter months but an experience like BCD had can really change how a person looks at a new boat. The buyer assumes they won't have all the head aches and problems if a used boat by purchasing new but this isn't always the case.

My previous boat was a Moomba and it was basiclly trouble free for 4 years and 400 hours. I also sold it after 4 years for about 10k less than I paid for it and the guy who bought it got a good deal on a great boat. I can only hope to do as well with my MC but my dealer was so good to me on the move to the 2013 I know I will be a loyal customer for many years.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM
MC Devotee

What Id like to emphasize too is I was pretty much given what I paid for the boat on trade. Factor in the 4K I was gonna spend on ballast upgrade = no brainer!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
What Id like to emphasize too is I was pretty much given what I paid for the boat on trade...
Sounds like you got taken care of quite well. Good for the dealer and good for MC to stand behind the product one way or another!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Sounds like you got taken care of quite well. Good for the dealer and good for MC to stand behind the product one way or another!
I told them when I bought that first X25 that I'd bring them some sales and I did.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Well, I went to the MC source today and I'm a happy camper.

I was given a summary of the latest 2012 Medallion Software update that is in the dealers hands now and think it will resolve PP and that it allows for piggy backing. To adjust the timers on the 2012 with the touch screens, there is a tool your dealer will use to flash in that config. If they don't have the tool already, it is on the way.

For those without PnP (like mine) you will piggy back a sac and then your dealer will adjust the timer (revolutions of the pump) accordingly. For example if you piggy a 750# bag to the port locker, then have the dealer quadruple the revolutions (250# hard tank + 3 times the length of time) for that pump to fill the hard tank, then the sac. It will also correspond to the % full as a 1000# ballast on the touch screen. So now at 25% full, just the hard tank will be full...and at 75% full, 50% of the bag plus the entire hard tank.

One key item to remember, for some reason he mentioned to not delete 'the boat' in the touch screen config, that will cause you to have to have it reprogrammed by the dealer.

Also note a mute button will be on most or all screens and user interface has been improved for cruise. Also fixed the sensitivity of the screen. The update also addresses PnP boats as well.

He said they tested it thoroughly. To be frank, I was pretty impressed with the level of detail and comprehension of the issues he had.

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 01-12-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 PM
MC Devotee

My concern is that for whatever reason the revolutions of the pump as a timing device is totally inaccurate. It was like playing plinko filling my tanks as they were always showing different levels. The only time I knew the levels for sure was when water was coming out of overflows.

Although, sounds like they have taken this thing seriously.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 PM
MC Devotee

Stay tuned, my build pics coming to my inbox Monday. My build is done and lake test is Monday as well.