Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
1989 Tristar Trailer Coupler & Wiring

I was wondering if anyone has ever taken off their actuator trailer coupler, for a fixed coupler. I have an original double axle trailer under the 190 Tristar with drum brakes and surge actuator. The actuator and brakes haven't worked since I got it a year ago and I don't feel I really need them. The boat doesn't weigh much and pulls easy anyway. I'd rather eliminate actuator moving back and forth then mess with overhauling the brakes that haven't worked in who knows how long.

Also, if I disconnect the brake lines, has anyone capped them to prevent moister from getting in.

Also, here is what my c-channel trailer has to route wiring. It's like corder molding/trim and it's starting to come loose in other areas. Anyone know where I can get some more? I haven't found any.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
What kind of actuator is it? The simplest solution would be to lock it so that it doesn't move.

The material used to hold the wiring in place is called pinch molding, my '89 uses the same stuff. You might be able to re-use it by tightening it up. If you decide to replace it upholstery shops would carry it.

The money you would spend to replace the actuator would be better spent to get the brakes fixed.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks, Miss Rita. How do you "tighten" the pinch molding?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 PM
MC Fanatic

to tighten it first pull it off, squeeze it with your fingers to the desired degree of tightness, then re-apply.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Pinch molding

See if this is what your looking for.

http://www.sailrite.com/Snap-on-Windlace-Black
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Great, thank you. Also, what do you use to lock out this style of actuator?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Also, what do you use to lock out this style of actuator?
What style of actuator?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has ever taken off their actuator trailer coupler, for a fixed coupler. I have an original double axle trailer under the 190 Tristar with drum brakes and surge actuator. The actuator and brakes haven't worked since I got it a year ago and I don't feel I really need them. The boat doesn't weigh much and pulls easy anyway. I'd rather eliminate actuator moving back and forth then mess with overhauling the brakes that haven't worked in who knows how long.

Also, if I disconnect the brake lines, has anyone capped them to prevent moister from getting in.

Also, here is what my c-channel trailer has to route wiring. It's like corder molding/trim and it's starting to come loose in other areas. Anyone know where I can get some more? I haven't found any.
You might want to check the laws in your state before you just disable the brakes -
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm. For me, I'd rather have the brakes. There is a reason why they are on the trailer but I'm not about to go down that path - maybe someone else will .

Also for the wiring, google "boat trailer wiring clips". A little reading provides suggestions and alternatives. Google knows all!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

This is the new version of exactly what my actuator looks like:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/Titan...uator-4339700/

Good info on the towing laws. I never considered that. Honestly, I feel like the brakes on this trailer just need an entire overhaul because it sat mostly unused for a long time and they don't do anything since I've had it.

I guess I'll just keep the actuator on it and start by getting parts as I can afford them and do it all when I have time some day.

In order to see how bad they are, would you guys recommend just replacing the actuator shock (it's dead), fill the master cylinder, bleed and see what happens? I just dont want to be half way through a project and prevent me from being able to use the boat later.