Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
good luck...... next summer is right around the corner.........
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
I got my first real slalom lesson from Doug at The Liquid Edge last September. I started working on improving my form (leading with hips, not shoulders, etc), so hopefully I can use this injury and recovery to help continue my form improvements. Gotta look at the bright side, haha.

Its definately up and down right now. One hour I can pretty well walk on it, and the next hour I can't sit still because i can't get comfortable. I am definately glad to be actually starting my recovery though.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

One week post op I am feeling pretty well about the recovery. I have "officially" ditched the crutches and brace, am walking almost normally, and just need that small bit of extension beyond straight back. The PT and my Dr both seem happy with the way things are progressing so far, and am at least a week ahead of "schedule" one week into recovery. I just try to do anything they say 110%. Thanks to everyone here for their experiences and advice. It has helped me to get to where I am.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschildm View Post
One week post op I am feeling pretty well about the recovery. I have "officially" ditched the crutches and brace, am walking almost normally, and just need that small bit of extension beyond straight back. The PT and my Dr both seem happy with the way things are progressing so far, and am at least a week ahead of "schedule" one week into recovery. I just try to do anything they say 110%. Thanks to everyone here for their experiences and advice. It has helped me to get to where I am.
Great to hear...Take your time!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Good news! You should be ready for next summer...........
Old 12-30-2012, 05:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 ProStar 190
I had my husband make me a "water skiing station" in the basement. I got my rope out of the boat, took 70' off, and tied it around the stud. I had my husband cut 2 pieces of plywood and put them at about a 35 degree angle, screwed into the stud and then into a 2x6 on the floor. I can do my squats, lunges, and put my feet against the board and "slalom", pulling hard against the rope and plywood, leaning out. It's been great for balance, extension, etc. My PT gang has been very happy with my balance, I contribute it to my skiing. I tell them, you get up out of the water being pulled by a beast, drop that ski as the boat is accelerating, get that foot in the strap balancing on 1 ski, then swing back and forth across the wakes. I took the grandkids bowling the other day and other than getting tired the last of 3 games, the knees (r is 3.5 months old, l. is 6 weeks) held up great! PT, PT, PT!! And good luck and patience
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well, its been just over six weeks now and things have been going very well. I just saw the Dr. again today and he said things were going great. I have been weight lifting 4 days a week for a 3 or 4 weeks now and my strength is doing pretty well. If anything, my weakest part right now is the hamstring from the graft. Things are going well enough they are saying 4 - 6 months for return to sports efforts, and hopefully turned lose by at least 6 months. Doesn't sound like I should have a lot of trouble skiing at the beginning of the season, other than mentally not worrying about my knee. The hardest part now is that my knee feels good, but I know I have to hold off on doing stuff I can't.

Thanks again for all of the advice and encouragement. Hopefully things keep progressing as they are now.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschildm View Post
Well, its been just over six weeks now and things have been going very well. I just saw the Dr. again today and he said things were going great. I have been weight lifting 4 days a week for a 3 or 4 weeks now and my strength is doing pretty well. If anything, my weakest part right now is the hamstring from the graft. Things are going well enough they are saying 4 - 6 months for return to sports efforts, and hopefully turned lose by at least 6 months. Doesn't sound like I should have a lot of trouble skiing at the beginning of the season, other than mentally not worrying about my knee. The hardest part now is that my knee feels good, but I know I have to hold off on doing stuff I can't.

Thanks again for all of the advice and encouragement. Hopefully things keep progressing as they are now.

Keep going...just start my hammy work outs... no injuries but doctor recommended to stay healthy...I was amazed how weak I am there... I can bicycle for 50-100 miles, leg press 400+ miles, slalom for a day...on and off of course... but my back knee curl 10lbs...lol... soo lot's of work in the next 10-12 weeks and beyond...

So glad you have progress - keep workin' you will be so happy when you rippin' again... I record my workouts to make sure I stay on plan... I know it's rough when you want to cut loose and shouldn't. Staying on plan really works...as much as you want to cut loose holding back really builds the foundation to cut loose when it gets warm out... really warm out...not this 50 degree damp crap the midwest is getting...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

I did up to 20 lbs on curls this week with my bad leg, but its putting some strain on the soar hammy. I am a little scared to push it too much because i have already tweaked the spot where they took the graft once doing leg curls.

Do you boat around Joliet? I have a good friend that just moved from Peoria to Mazon and works for CAT there in Joliet. He has a Crownline, and we might end up around there sometime this summer. Riding behind it once a year makes me really appreciate my Mastercraft. If we make it up there maybe we'll see you around sometime.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
That would be great... you know the color of my MC...

don't push it... one of my friends ripped her hammy, did get it taken care and this season now questionable...

You'll get there.... make sure you add anti-inflammatory food to your diet if you didn't... like lot's of broccoli and fresh spinach...makes a big difference...

LEt me know when your out on the water here so we can hook up and rip up some water...