Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
bcd, keep in mind that Malibu still uses Medallion and will continue to have the same kinds of problems.
Sorry to get this thread off topic, and I don't want to get into a which boat brand is better argument (I've owned 2 MCs and no other inboards), but there are a lot of things that bother me with that statment:

1. You shouldn't make an arguement for MC by saying that Mabilu will have the same kind of problems. It should be that MC will fix their issues.

2. I don't see 2012 Medallion issues anywhere on themalibucrew.com, mainly issues in 09 with monitors going blank.

3. 2012 MC issues are software, which is boat brand specific, not hardware. MC as the OEM is responsible for testing thier software to make sure all of the bugs have been worked out.

4. One of the my bigger complaints about the system is the inability to add aftermarket ballast (w/o PnP), which has nothing to do with Medallion.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Sorry to get this thread off topic, and I don't want to get into a which boat brand is better argument (I've owned 2 MCs and no other inboards), but there are a lot of things that bother me with that statment:

1. You shouldn't make an arguement for MC by saying that Mabilu will have the same kind of problems. It should be that MC will fix their issues.

2. I don't see 2012 Medallion issues anywhere on themalibucrew.com, mainly issues in 09 with monitors going blank.

3. 2012 MC issues are software, which is boat brand specific, not hardware. MC as the OEM is responsible for testing thier software to make sure all of the bugs have been worked out.

4. One of the my bigger complaints about the system is the inability to add aftermarket ballast (w/o PnP), which has nothing to do with Medallion.
I am not sure about 2012 specifically. Although Malivue has been the same system for a few years now. I think they finally worked all of the bugs out of it. It is probably a very good thing that they didnt change it!!

If you had been active on TMC between 2009 and 2011, you would have seen that they had as many issues, if not more than what 2012 MCs had. Heck, a ton of malibus wouldnt even start because of that system. MCs problems were different, but at least the boat would run.....

As for your #3 statement- MC gave certain criteria for a working system. Sure, the whole PnP deal sucks, but its not like you can do that easily in any other wakeboat. It was medallions responsibility to develop a working system for MasterCraft. They failed. I do believe that MC is at fault as well..... They knew that Murphy systems worked better for years now, but they chose to stay with Medallion because the Medallion proposal was cheaper than Murphy. Because of that, MC gave the contract to Medallion. They learned the lesson a bit late.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
...It was medallions responsibility to develop a working system for MasterCraft. They failed. I do believe that MC is at fault as well...
Mastercraft as the company selling the product to the end user is still responsible for the components they sub out to others. Period. End of Story.

That's like saying, it's not really Dell's (pick any manufacture) fault that the computer (pick any product) they sold you does not work, because they did not manufacture CPU that Intel supplied. You hold the manufacture who sold you the item responsible. It is under OEM's purview to do quality control of the components being supplied to them.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
I'm in agreement with bcd, I bought a boat from MC and they are ultimately accountable. Playing the 'blame Medallion game' does nothing for me. All signs point to MC knowing this and reacting to it. Spring couldn't come soon enough but part of me wants to put the boat in with at least +3 more releases in the software.

In terms of rewarding them with another boat, good point, I guess anything could happen. I'm going to a Boat Show next weekend and will be speaking with them again on an update for piggy backing. For what it's worth, wakemakers didn't have a solution that involved integrating into the existing, nor did wake blasters, nor super sac'r.

Thank you FourtyFour, that confirms a few things and is very helpful.

Sorry to the OP for the hijack. I believe that you'll find the Murphy experience better, their ppl were very responsive when I emailed and called them.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

I should add, I'm glad I didn't live through the first 8 months of this science project. Sounds like the dealers and MC compensated people fairly in those cases. I have lived the last 4 months and it hasn't been what I'd call fun.

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 01-11-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Mastercraft as the company selling the product to the end user is still responsible for the components they sub out to others. Period. End of Story.

That's like saying, it's not really Dell's (pick any manufacture) fault that the computer (pick any product) they sold you does not work, because they did not manufacture CPU that Intel supplied. You hold the manufacture who sold you the item responsible. It is under OEM's purview to do quality control of the components being supplied to them.
I don't disagree with that.

I was merely trying to point out that the system that MC requested, was not the system they recieved. And I was also trying to point out that MC was not the only boat company that had this problem...... They should have tested the system more, or they should have just went with a more reputeable company. That is where MC failed.

When you rely on a vendor to supply a product, you are taking a risk. You are counting on that vendor to supply you with what you ask for. If they fail to do so, it is your responsability to take care of the party that you supply the completed product to. I agree with that 100%. However, that doesn't mean that medallion doesnt suck. There is only so much that MC could have done to mitigate that risk. MC doesn't have,(nor any other boat company) the internal resources to R&D these systems. Hell, if they did, they would design them themselves.

And MC did take care of these customers. I am one of them, and they treated me VERY fairly. They did everything they could to help me, and that is the bottom line.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
I don't disagree with that.

I was merely trying to point out that the system that MC requested, was not the system they recieved. And I was also trying to point out that MC was not the only boat company that had this problem...... They should have tested the system more, or they should have just went with a more reputeable company. That is where MC failed.

When you rely on a vendor to supply a product, you are taking a risk. You are counting on that vendor to supply you with what you ask for. If they fail to do so, it is your responsability to take care of the party that you supply the completed product to. I agree with that 100%. However, that doesn't mean that medallion doesnt suck. There is only so much that MC could have done to mitigate that risk. MC doesn't have,(nor any other boat company) the internal resources to R&D these systems. Hell, if they did, they would design them themselves.

And MC did take care of these customers. I am one of them, and they treated me VERY fairly. They did everything they could to help me, and that is the bottom line.
That is why you put out specs and get prototypes back for evaluation. Plenty of companies that can make custom sensors and control units. It's not exactly rocket science anymore. You allow time in your product development cycle to do these things. Medallion Instrumentation Systems did the VDIG and that seemed to work fine. They also did the 2010 BIG which worked just fine. I still wonder why the 2012 software controls remain unresolved.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
well in 2010 my boat was 93 grand.
i just was informed by my dealer it is now worth 59,999 max. So i wasnt sure what hit you were taking because i took a 20k a year hit.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

And that is the reason why some people buy new every year. It's a math problem not well understood.

If you bought a boat every year for 10 years, 100k up front, 10k for the trade you would spend 190k over ten years.

But, if the dealer gave you a deep discount, and lets say for 7k on average you depreciate. 100k + 7x9 (1st year was 100) 163k

Winterized and storage, you'd save 15k over ten years. Lots do their own and the mileage will vary. 63-15 = 48k running total

Benefit of never off warranty, call that a wash because new boats every year will suffer some glitches every few years as boat manufacturers are not Apple, nor Rolex and engines have a 3-5yr warranty. As much as we are lead to believe everything is wonderful, it isn't.

Resale after 10 years, 85k which means 48k goes back to 63k in overall loss.

In the end, the guy who keeps the same boat for ten years discovers its worth 40k and observes 60k in depreciation.

Guy who upgraded every year loses about 63k. ... 3k difference, we should all be trading in, ah if that happened the depreciation would sky rocket. But in reality, if another 2008 kicks in, you could be in for a surprise.

Above is not fair math, I agree. The winterization could easily be off by 5-7k, tax loss on the upgrade (laws/rates are diff), new registration fees 500 and the big variable is the 7k of the dealer being nice, it won't always be 7k and could be off by 1k/year (9k over 10) or as much as 10-15k per year, 90-135k over 10 years.

Finally, if you finance the boat, add interest on the delta over the period. if we take the best case scenario of only a 3K difference and bump it by 800-1200 in interest...

To be a little more realistic, if the delta is 30k overall based on above miscalculations, interest would be 8-12k making the difference 38-42k, let's call it 40k.

Where the mistake is made, is to take this 40k, then base calculations on it. Like for 4k per year, I can save the maintenance - No, that was already part of the equation so don't double count a benefit. All of a sudden you're doing madoff-math.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
well in 2010 my boat was 93 grand.
i just was informed by my dealer it is now worth 59,999 max. So i wasnt sure what hit you were taking because i took a 20k a year hit.

Wouldn't that be 11k a year?? Or is your boat a 2011?