Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
My story is different. While jokingly looking at a 2013 my dealer through me an amazing trade-in number.

Here's my justification:

Savings:
-didn't have to pay the $500 service/winterization fee
-no winter storage
-didn't have to pay for a couple gel repairs
-was able to port over my extended warranty
-saved myself 4K for the aftermarket ballast system I was going to have put in, instead it will cost me 400 bucks
-2013 value added including new trailer, new aluminum accents, new Murphy controls, Zero Off, new platform, tracking fins
-get a new boat with 0 hours (make some money up on the back end as my future theoretical trade is worth more)
-add some options I wish I had on my 2012 (Sirius, low profile trailer, hot shower)
-avoid the possibility of having a hard time selling lest the 2012's be seen as a lemon year

So I still have to write a check but considering all of the above worth it IMO.

The above sounds very familler. I went through that last year and ended up upgrading to new model year with a lot of support from my dealer. At the time it was a no brainer as well.

Fast forward to this year, I guess I was spooked from the experiences I had with my 2012 and decided to throw in the towel with repsect to electronics/technology. By going backwards I have a boat that is more user frendly (upgrading ballast, less systems) and walked away with a large cheque I figured if the VDIG ever crapped out, I would replace the instrument with a Zero Off unit. For my boat all the vdig monitors is Perfect Pass, Ballast and temp (Air&Water) and the other engine stuff. (I dont have tabs or wake plate) Much simpler than BIG and I can completly do with out if needed.

If you guys are getting good trad in value for your 2012, then its a good move. No different than people who upgrade their car/truck every year

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Agree with Nick911, I think the term "lemon year" is a little harsh, but does get the point across. Let's face it, the boat's hull, motor (most of it) and other significant components are identical - call it 90% + the same. My best guess is that the two boats will have 5K difference in resale value in 10 years from now, not 10K for that matter - and Medalliion will still be in business. More emphassis will be placed on the condition of the hull, motor, hours and other factors than the touch screen.

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 01-11-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjames View Post
The above sounds very familler. I went through that last year and ended up upgrading to new model year with a lot of support from my dealer. At the time it was a no brainer as well.

Fast forward to this year, I guess I was spooked from the experiences I had with my 2012 and decided to throw in the towel with repsect to electronics/technology. By going backwards I have a boat that is more user frendly (upgrading ballast, less systems) and walked away with a large cheque I figured if the VDIG ever crapped out, I would replace the instrument with a Zero Off unit. For my boat all the vdig monitors is Perfect Pass, Ballast and temp (Air&Water) and the other engine stuff. (I dont have tabs or wake plate) Much simpler than BIG and I can completly do with out if needed.

If you guys are getting good trad in value for your 2012, then its a good move. No different than people who upgrade their car/truck every year
Funny thing is that I feel that they had it right in 2010. The 2010 BIG is mostly just a display. Senders are in the ballast tanks. Ballast and attitude adjustment plate are still controlled via switches. The PP would be impossible to use without the BIG screen but I figure I could always switch that to VDIG or work around it another way. If I ever decide to trade the X-15 for an X-25 or an X-Star, I think I would be compelled to go the way Bjames went staying away from over-electronics. Electronics are great when they serve a real purpose. For example, the ECM does a great job of controlling and protecting the engine. Using electronics to replace a simple switch is just stupid. Sometimes technology gets you FUBAR.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCraft View Post
....Otherwise, I'll be forced to spend 5-7K to replace the entire Medallion with something else....
That is not as bad as I would have thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCraft View Post
...Keeping in mind that the touch screen could just be removed and I could go with manual controls in 3-5 years from now, and that option could be far less expensive......
I thought these electronic systems were far more integrated and going manual would be a bear to accomplish. Good to hear.

In the end, I would likely take the option that BJames chose and go back to the tired and true method.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 500lbs of Lead.
Problem is guys, all the new boats will have more electronics not less. This will increase year aftwr year. And the fact is most of the 2012 issues were software NOT hardware. I actually like the BIG and how it functioned, but the software was buggy. While the system was on a MC boat I do not believe it was MC's fault but in fact Medallions fault. They offered the customer and MC virtually no support.

I got to take a 2013 for a test drive and I REALLY liked the new Murphy system. The auto plate feature is awesome for getting on plane and saving some work/gas adjusting the plate. I also love the fact that the timers are back. I think you will see a lot of people very happy with their 2013s and it will be a great year for MC with the addition of the X-10.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
My understanding is that the problems with the 12's are resolved with the software upgrade.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Larson 200 SEI, 2002 X Star, 2012 X-2
I have debated it, but the biggest reason I'm against it is I don't think I should reward Mastercraft (for selling me a sub-par performing boat) with another new boat sale. If I have to take a loss on my 2012, it will more likely be on a new Malibu or Nautique.

I keep saying that once I get my issues worked out, everything will be ok, but when I winterized, I noticed that my engine belt is spraying rubber again. It was supposed to be from a bad belt, but the new belt's doing it again. I also still have to get the software update.

I'm taking it 100 miles back to the dealer for the 5th time in the spring. I'm considering 3 possible outcomes:
1. I pick the boat up and everything works with no further issues, and I continue to own the boat.
2. Issues continue, and I buy a 2013 MC, only if MC steps up and I have to give them very little money to upgrade.
3. Issues continue, and I buy a 2013 Malibu or Nautique. I actually stopped in the Malibu dealer last year during my dealer visit #4. I don't think the Malibu guy thought I was very serious and didn't give me any numbers, but if I stop in again, I bet I could leave with a quote.

I think I've had more issues than most with my boat, so I'm probably ranting a little more than others. I've also got a little bit left to pay off on my 2012, so that's the other main issue swaying my decision. I want the debt gone, not increasing.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
bcd, keep in mind that Malibu still uses Medallion and will continue to have the same kinds of problems.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
My understanding is that the problems with the 12's are resolved with the software upgrade.
But the other problem is that the entire boat is controlled by software could'nt resist.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Around October 1st, I got the latest upgrade. Version 28, if I remember correctly. I was one of the boats that they chose to Beta test it. (not sure why. maybe just because my dealer was calling them every day about it) It was much better, but still far from perfect. Almost everything was fixed with screen issues, and tab positions, auto level, perfect pass, and screen delays. However, the ballast system was still a complete POS. The fill/empty measurements were still way off, and rider profiles still didn't work correctly.

It was a big leap forward, but still had issues. That being said, they will get it eventually. It is much closer.....