Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 01-03-2013, 03:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Looks good.
Nice work.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Skier 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeamlb View Post
tlukens, what weight carpet did you use? Your interior looks great.
I don't know what weight the carpet is. I bought it from the guys who did the seats. I looked at some indoor/outdoor stuff that just didn't seem like it would hold up as well. I had a tough time up in the bow under the deck getting it to lay down good, but I enjoyed the fumes from the glue.

I didn't get the side combing(I think that's what its called) redone because I want to go with something more durable. We use the boom a lot and I want to put something on there that will hold up. I have seen some done with wood that looks pretty good. Anyone got any good ideas?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlukens View Post
I don't know what weight the carpet is. I bought it from the guys who did the seats. I looked at some indoor/outdoor stuff that just didn't seem like it would hold up as well. I had a tough time up in the bow under the deck getting it to lay down good, but I enjoyed the fumes from the glue.

I didn't get the side combing(I think that's what its called) redone because I want to go with something more durable. We use the boom a lot and I want to put something on there that will hold up. I have seen some done with wood that looks pretty good. Anyone got any good ideas?
My ideas-

HydroTurf or Blacktip
Teak
Carpet
UHMW

Hydroturf is pretty impressive stuff, the way it holds up on my stand-up jetskis always impresses me.

If I did wood, it would be Teak, and easily removable so it could be oiled once a season out of the boat.

I would consider a color of UHMW (cutting board material) that matches your interior. It can be worked with woodworking tools such as a router and skilsaw.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
[quote=tlukens;899425]I don't know what weight the carpet is. I bought it from the guys who did the seats. I looked at some indoor/outdoor stuff that just didn't seem like it would hold up as well. I had a tough time up in the bow under the deck getting it to lay down good, but I enjoyed the fumes from the glue.

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to that bow area too. What width rolls of carpet did you use?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM
TT Regular

[quote=orbeamlb;899618]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlukens View Post

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to that bow area too. What width rolls of carpet did you use?
Must have been 8 foot width. I was able to get both sides out of the width. I saved the old carpet I took out and used it as a template. It was a little harder than I thought it would be. I used glue from west marine. I had the carpet laying in the boat, applied glue up the sides of the boat, then to the back of the carpet, stuck that, then did the floor bottom and back of carpet. The glue sets up slow, so you have time to work with it. I had a helper on one side, did the other by myself.
I'm waiting to get my new swim platform brackets back from a buddy who is welding me up some out of stainless. The platform was loose, and the brackets were cracked. So I cut holes through the floor like other guys have here so I can put the backing plates in there.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 AM
TT Regular

I had some cherry boards that I planed down and used for the coaming. I think it turned out pretty good. I was trying to come up with something more durable than the old padded upholstery.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
Tlukens: I might have missed it but who did the upholstry work. That looks great! Enjoy
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter92 View Post
Tlukens: I might have missed it but who did the upholstry work. That looks great! Enjoy
Fountain of Youth for Boats did the interior. They are near Milwaukee, WI. They had to do a lot of wood work, new foam. I'm real happy with the workmanship.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM
TT Regular

swim deck brackets

Its good to have a buddy that can weld stainless. The old ones were cracked and the transom bolts were pulling through. So I cut holes in the floor, had these welded up with the backing plates. Should be solid.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS
That upholstery looks amazing! If I had an interior that nice in my MC I wouldn't let my kids and their juice boxes and cookies and sticky fingers anywhere near the boat