Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #231  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Also, if you're a christmas light guy, outlets under the soffits homerunning to a switch in your entry closet is a good thing to do

If you are a Christmas Light guy, you may want these. I'm putting them in mine. http://www.sillites.com/
__________________
'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 14,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
If you are a Christmas Light guy, you may want these. I'm putting them in mine. http://www.sillites.com/
Very cool lights. I still curse the lights I have.

Also, can't have too many switched outlets, indoor & outdoor for Christmas lights.
__________________
Peter

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES



CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black


PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
JohnnyB's Avatar
JohnnyB JohnnyB is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Location: Titletown
Posts: 2,899
For lightning/surge protector installation, ideally you want to use breaker 1 and breaker 2 in your main panel (tie to each leg of service). Buying a good one allows you to eliminate the surge protectors in your house. Sycom is the only one I know of that will guarentee performance even if not in the 1st two breakers.

I took a lightning strike about a month after completing my house....lightning is high risk in uncompacted soil conditions....took out most of the electronics tied to the 1st 4-5 breakers in the panel and popped all GFCIs in the house. I think it came in on bkr 5 which was the invisible fence....I have a lightning arrestor dedicated to that system now.
__________________
Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
For lightning/surge protector installation, ideally you want to use breaker 1 and breaker 2 in your main panel (tie to each leg of service). Buying a good one allows you to eliminate the surge protectors in your house. Sycom is the only one I know of that will guarentee performance even if not in the 1st two breakers.

I took a lightning strike about a month after completing my house....lightning is high risk in uncompacted soil conditions....took out most of the electronics tied to the 1st 4-5 breakers in the panel and popped all GFCIs in the house. I think it came in on bkr 5 which was the invisible fence....I have a lightning arrestor dedicated to that system now.
What does a "whole house' protector do for surges that were induced by an outside event, like lightning? Nothing at all. That means the power lines outside may not be the source, but the ones inside still need to be kept from causing problems. What about motors and pumps turning on/off? Those spikes can do a lot of damage to microprocessors.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
jkski jkski is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,905
1/10/13 Update: Backfilling done and garage filled....wallet is now empty!

156 ton of sand, 40 ton of 57 wash and 81 ton of limestone 1's and 2's and we now have a backfilled home, filled up garage and a driveway leading to the garage that can withstand the rest of what our construction throws at it! Most of the rough grading is done just some final touches to put on to insure that everything is sloped away from the foundation but with rain moving in tomorrow it probably will not be a good day to play in the dirt.

It was a long expensive day but I do believe I will sleep good tonight. The framing crew is just about done putting the front wall together with the windows and doors arriving tomorrow, plumber starting on Saturday and roofer scheduled for Monday!

Things are progressing!
Attached Images
       
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 PM
blakekrone blakekrone is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Location: Midwest
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Great idea on the conduit as others have said. I did that too. Spend the few $$ to pre-wire for in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. Best thing I did in the last house...put the speakers and distribution in a couple years later and used them constantly. When I built the current one, wasn't even a consideration to not do it. DIY cost is reasonable. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you the take off list of speakers, volume controls, distribution boxes, etc I used.

Run extra coax and data everywhere too.

Also, if you're a christmas light guy, outlets under the soffits homerunning to a switch in your entry closet is a good thing to do
I went with a wireless house audio system (Sonos) instead of pre-wiring speakers, if you ever sell you don't get that investment back, that's a "nice to have" but wont' gain you anything.

As for data/phone runs, if you can run smurf tubing (blue EMT) or some other conduit from each box to a utility room so you can run more cables.

I would also look at any rooms that might have wall mounted TV's installed and pre-run conduit between floor boxes and mount locations. Conduit gives you the flexibility to add cables as you go, just run a fish line for now.
__________________
1996 ProStar 205
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM
park190's Avatar
park190 park190 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: X-2, MCX
Location: On the lake
Posts: 140
Couldn't agree more about the Sonos! We did the same when we built and never regret a thing about it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by blakekrone View Post
I went with a wireless house audio system (Sonos) instead of pre-wiring speakers, if you ever sell you don't get that investment back, that's a "nice to have" but wont' gain you anything.

As for data/phone runs, if you can run smurf tubing (blue EMT) or some other conduit from each box to a utility room so you can run more cables.

I would also look at any rooms that might have wall mounted TV's installed and pre-run conduit between floor boxes and mount locations. Conduit gives you the flexibility to add cables as you go, just run a fish line for now.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
156 ton of sand, 40 ton of 57 wash and 81 ton of limestone 1's and 2's and we now have a backfilled home, filled up garage and a driveway leading to the garage that can withstand the rest of what our construction throws at it! Most of the rough grading is done just some final touches to put on to insure that everything is sloped away from the foundation but with rain moving in tomorrow it probably will not be a good day to play in the dirt.

It was a long expensive day but I do believe I will sleep good tonight. The framing crew is just about done putting the front wall together with the windows and doors arriving tomorrow, plumber starting on Saturday and roofer scheduled for Monday!

Things are progressing!
The progress is amazing- around here, that would have taken many weeks, if even that short a time.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
zsqure's Avatar
zsqure zsqure is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Location: in the 330
Posts: 624
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&d=1357864931
Those stone slinger bodies are worth their weight in gold. Saves lots of time and eliminates sore backs.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 PM
blakekrone blakekrone is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Location: Midwest
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by park190 View Post
Couldn't agree more about the Sonos! We did the same when we built and never regret a thing about it.
Yeap, I have a ton of their equipment and alpha/beta test all the new products. If you do want to go with Sonos PM me, I can get you an insane discount for a new customer, can't help existing unfortunately
__________________
1996 ProStar 205
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.