Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Anyone ever try kiteboarding?

I'm heading to St. Martin and have been thinking about trying kiteboarding. Is it hard? I think the boarding portion would be easy (since I wakeboard), but worried about fighting control of the kite the entire time. Should I get a lesson? Is it easy enough to pick up that it would be worth doing, or is it a very steep learning curve?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I have only tried a kite without a board, very brielfy. There was only a small wind and it picked me up and pulled me a few feet. I would strongly recommend a lesson. I have wanted to buy one for a while, but just haven't. It would be a good alternative on those windy days.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X25
I was just in Cabo and took a kiteboarding lesson. It's very cool but not something that you can just go out and do. Take some lessons. They teach you how to fly and control the kite on the beach then learn to fly in the water while body dragging before you slap on a board. The power those kites can generate is incredible! It takes some time but it was a lot of fun. I bought a small training kite to practice with and teach my kids. If you got time I recommend you try it. A friend of mine has a couple of kites so we are going to try it out on the snow.

Last edited by Hecker; 01-10-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Sportstar 19/305 Chevy Indmar (4160 Carbed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I'm heading to St. Martin and have been thinking about trying kiteboarding. Is it hard? I think the boarding portion would be easy (since I wakeboard), but worried about fighting control of the kite the entire time. Should I get a lesson? Is it easy enough to pick up that it would be worth doing, or is it a very steep learning curve?
We have a lot of kite boarding where I live in Kailua, Oahu, HI. I have not tried it yet.
But, I see the guys there all the time that teach lessons, and I see their students many of whom are very athletic/young, mostly guys. And very few make it look easy.

I definitely would get a lesson IMO, otherwise you can get pulled out and if the kite goes into the water, ouch. Seen folks out there floundering and they have got the lesson! You get tired real fast in this case and it will ruin your day.

Turning the board around back into the wind to get back from whence you came is another aspect that I think takes a lesson to do as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Agree with the lessons, I have a kite and have tried a few times with issues. I'm looking to get some lessons this summer. You need some strong arm muscles as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I have been out with people twice. He said it has the pull of 3 wake boats and I am like "right......"
WOW! drop the kite down from neutral and BOOM, yanked up and going.
These things are incredibly powerful and will come slamming down fast and hard. Damaging the kite at a minimum or possibly hurting anyone it might land on near by.

There is significant skill in controlling the kite and it is not something you will pickup in a day's lesson.
You will want to learn how to launch, handle and relaunch a trainer kite before stepping up to a full size brute.
Search for any kite clubs in your home area. Most are very friendly at spreading the general sport of kiting (not necessarily kite boarding but there are often kite board members) which can help teach basic kite handling.
http://www.kiteboarding.com/products...=Trainer+Kites
Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Wife and I celebrated 10 years together by going to Barbados the first week of February. Amazing island with a plethora of cool activities, such as kitesurfing. During our stay, I took two afternoon lessons at de Action Shop which were a humbling experience. As a lifelong powerboater, I have little concept for wind powered anything and I really struggled with basic kite control. I also spent both mornings surfing, so by the afternoon I was fatigued (lame excuse but sadly true). I was very close to getting up the end of day 2, but was experiencing painful chaffing from body harness and choose to call it a "close but no cigar" experience.

For really sucking bad at something, I am totally hooked! I live south of Kansas City and we have no shortage of windy conditions at our home lake near Hillsdale. It was an amazing beautiful sight to watch 30+ kite surfers riding at Silver Sands beach and I am dedicated to learning the sport this summer back here in Kansas.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
StrmChzr - you will prob want to hook up with this group - http://www.kckiteclub.org/index.html

They kite all over KC. Several members are kiteboarders which is how I hooked up with a couple that ride at Clinton.
They will also be able to help you get started learning the control basics which as you prob found out are key.