Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Sorry about all the threads lately but I'm really trying to find the right boat before the summer and you guys have been a lot of help. That being said, how hard do you think it would be to fix the gelcoat around the damaged area in the picture? This is right around the hinges of the sundeck and there seems to be some stress cracking, but i'm not sure if this is fairly common for a 12 year old boat. Further, even if I got it fixed, how could I prevent it from cracking again? I'll hang up and listen

You can't fix that without sanding the old off and giving the new something to grab onto. If you scratch/gouge out the cracks, you'll just end up with stripes of a different color, even if the gelcoat repair is supposed to match.

That deck rotated too far- I suspect that someone pulled the pin on the actuator and either accidentally let it flop back or the wind took it. It can't do that without one or the other- if you remove the pad and rotate the hinges, they'll match the gouges exactly.

Keep it from moving too far, don't over-stuff the storage area and don't twist the deck.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
You can't fix that without sanding the old off and giving the new something to grab onto. If you scratch/gouge out the cracks, you'll just end up with stripes of a different color, even if the gelcoat repair is supposed to match.

That deck rotated too far- I suspect that someone pulled the pin on the actuator and either accidentally let it flop back or the wind took it. It can't do that without one or the other- if you remove the pad and rotate the hinges, they'll match the gouges exactly.

Keep it from moving too far, don't over-stuff the storage area and don't twist the deck.
Actually Jim the actuator does allow the deck to go back too far. I've witnessed it and you are right that the hinges match the gouges exactly.

But the point of my recent post was to try and figure out a way to prevent it from happening again. I've had the spots sanded down and re-gel coated. It looks like new now. But I'm trying to get it where it doesn't gouge anymore. Thus I thought about putting some rubber bumpers or some silicone back there to keep the sundeck from hitting the gelcoat again. If I leave it as is, someone could let it go back too far and it will gouge the area out again.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'll try and post pictures later, but the boat is in storage. I don't think the screws were loose allowing excessive movement, but I haven't checked the gas shocks yet. I assumed the original ones were on there since the previous owner didn't change anything else.

Is there anyway to adjust the height of the actuator to restrict it from extending out all the way?

Last edited by Hogwild; 01-09-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
If the hinge is over rotating just a bit then how about grinding the hinge plate itself so that it has a concave recess. This should provide enough clearance if the is only slightly intruding into the gelcoat when the deck is fully opened. Would that work?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Maybe shift the mounting points for your struts or order some a little shorter with the same pressure?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
I suspect the end of the actuator attached to the deck and used to raise it was moved toward the stern. Disconnect the end of the actuator and reattach to the deck 6-10 inches closer to the bow. When fully extended it should not over rotate the deck so much that the hinges hit the stern deck.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Actually Jim the actuator does allow the deck to go back too far. I've witnessed it and you are right that the hinges match the gouges exactly.

But the point of my recent post was to try and figure out a way to prevent it from happening again. I've had the spots sanded down and re-gel coated. It looks like new now. But I'm trying to get it where it doesn't gouge anymore. Thus I thought about putting some rubber bumpers or some silicone back there to keep the sundeck from hitting the gelcoat again. If I leave it as is, someone could let it go back too far and it will gouge the area out again.
Do you see two sets of mounting holes for the bracket that attaches the top of the cylinder to the under-side of the pad? I would remove the bracket and see if it has threaded inserts. If not, I would move the bracket farther from the back edge. That makes it open less but yu don't need to move it far.

For climbing into the storage area when servicing, I used a rope with a clip to loop around the T handle or the bracket that could be moved. I then pass the loop on the other end of the rope over the ball on the pylon. The rope was cut to length so it won't let the pad open too far.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
First, I think what everyone has said needs attention first. However, if you have access the the underside of the deck, you could add some glass and a piece of 1/2" wood around that area to help stiffen it up. I think this would help a little, but as long as the hinge is over rotating, you will still have the problem. Possibly a good place for a custom sticker? I know that would be covering it up, but it is really just a cosmetic thing and unless it over rotates to the point where it tears the glass, then keep on keeping on.

What about one of those rubber little round pads like those that are on kitchen cabinets to keep them from slamming to help prevent any gouging? Just a thought.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
First, I think what everyone has said needs attention first. However, if you have access the the underside of the deck, you could add some glass and a piece of 1/2" wood around that area to help stiffen it up. I think this would help a little, but as long as the hinge is over rotating, you will still have the problem. Possibly a good place for a custom sticker? I know that would be covering it up, but it is really just a cosmetic thing and unless it over rotates to the point where it tears the glass, then keep on keeping on.

What about one of those rubber little round pads like those that are on kitchen cabinets to keep them from slamming to help prevent any gouging? Just a thought.
If the bumpers are thick and firm enough, they can actually add stress points.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
If the bumpers are thick and firm enough, they can actually add stress points.
I'm going to go through all the things mentioned this weekend and thanks for the responses.

I was curious about those bumpers causing stress, but I thought it might protect in a worst case scenario situation and then just make a habit of not raising the deck all the way up. However, I couldn't get the bumpers to stick to the gelcoat so I'm wondering if a bead of silicone will work just as well.

Regardless, I hope that I can find the source of the problem and not have to rely on anything else.