Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
2013's: Any Issues?

Curious if anyone has been having any issues thus far with the 2013's, particularly, with the new Murphy Controls system?

Wondering if the 2012 issues have been resolved with the move away from Medallion?

How was your 2013 been running, good, bad, or otherwise?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
Murphy has been a great system so far, and much easier to use.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
MC Devotee

Awesome to hear. Looking forward to plumbing in some extra sacs too now that we are back to timers.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
I haven't seen a single post regarding 2013 issues. That really positive news. I think the move to Murphy made all the difference. It's interesting that one component can effect a boat this much but I guess with computers this is the case.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-30
Well I believe the Murphy system is the comple wiring harnesses, ECM and the control screen. That is what makes it so good, one system designed specific for each model. they are a customer of mine and they do a great job and a ton of testing.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
I'm pretty sure MC committed to fixing all of the minor computer bugs with Medallion, I've exchanged emails with my dealer and them on it. It would be great to hear from 2012 owners that received the most recent software upgrade (nov/dec 2012) to get positive confirmation all is fixed.

Based on PM with various TT'ers, their 2012 issues were pretty minor and they stated that the Murphy system alone was not the root cause of their desire to move to a 2013. That being said, there were issues in 2012....and I agree the Murphy System will be better. At first glance it could be a Blackberry Playbook to iPad comparison, we'll just have to see what Blackberry 10 holds... (Laughing at the similarities).

Not to worry, I'll swap out the Medallion for the Apple iOS control system in 2017.... :-)

Sent using my iPad running Murphy OS
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Just curious, is the old medallion system worth taking a colossal hit on a boat? I've seen so many 2012's on the market lately, and selling a 1 year old boat and taking a (+-)10 thousand dollar hit would probably keep me in the boat until things got worked out. So curious to see if you guys think it's worth it. Especially for the exact same boat you already had.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 AM
MC Devotee

My hit wasn't near 10K. Even if it was, that's only a 10% depreciation, small for first year, plus the value added on the 2013's...no brainer!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
some edits...

That was the exact question I struggled with. So here's how I broke that down...

If an option is installed from factory, unless the glass has to be remoulded, it doesn't bother me too much as I could add it afterward. Similar to being able to put a trailer hitch on a vehicle, if I can add/delete/modify after the fact, without much drama and within 20-30% of what it costed as a factory option, I didn't care. The square rails and new aluminium parts can be bought from MC by design for about $500, the new crisscross pattern pads (love them) on the hips/walkway are likely at most another $1200, remote on the console $400 (pro install), cool new carpet $1200 and I don't want the new windshield (would likely require glass repairs) or new cans but call them $3000. $6,600 total. I'd pick and choose options, but that's the all in cost, excluding Murphy.

Also if one or two or even three features would cost more that the above but less than the depreciation, then it doesn't matter. What I mean by this, is that I bought the boat for the vinyl, glass, motor and creature comforts. I am a technologist by trade, so the electronics need to work but I don't expect them to be as clean as an iPad interface. Simply put, the cruise needs to be accurate, the ballast systems should be fairly automated and the stereo system needs to work.

I looked into these problems in October and concluded that worst case scenario, if MC decided to change its rich history of after sales service and not stand behind its products (very very low probability, quite frankly a solid warranty record is one of the key reasons people buy MC), then I'd have to pay to replace Medallion of the key components. The ECM, the screen (2,000 based on my phone calls to FW Murphy), ECM, wiring harnesses, zero off etc 5,000. Install, 3,000. All in, 10,000...likely high, but close enough. edit - that's the retail cost, suspect with enough arm-wrestling, it could be less than 1/2 that cost.

So, then it came down to support, well the warranty on a lot will be the dealer. So it is a moot point as the dealer plays a huge role in solving problems with these boats. My dealer has a solid reputation for standing behind what they sell.

The additional costs of plumbing two new pumps over just piggy backing I attributed $2,000 to that.

I'm keeping my 2012 for now, but leaning hard on MC and my dealer. So far great results and instant response from ALL levels of MC on this specific issue. Terry McNew has been an absolute pleasure to work with.

edit: Am I ticked off that MC would build a 2012 boat where I have to look at adding a complete new ballast system in order to add bags - absolutely. Am I ticked that I've had to spend my time figuring out all of the above after spending a fair amount of money on it, yes. But I'm more mad at myself for not doing more research on the 2012 than anything at all. But now that I'm in this situation, I'm doing the best I can to resolve it.

I bought a remote for about 100.00 with a Y plug. New, it floats and solves the stereo issues which were the least of my worries. Consistent cruise, ballast automation and general easy of configuration were my bigger worries.

Will I buy an extended warranty on the touch screen, NO. Because if in 2-3 years it gives me grief, I've made enough noise with MC and my dealer and I trust that they will be there for me. Otherwise, I'll be forced to spend 5-7K to replace the entire Medallion with something else. Keeping in mind that the touch screen could just be removed and I could go with manual controls in 3-5 years from now, and that option could be far less expensive.

second edit... To get back to the subject of this post and follow on question, I think the Murphy system is better. I also think that trading up from a 2012 to a 2013 is an option for every owner, it happens all the time. I'm less worried about the Medallion system now than I was in October based on several (literally dozens) conversations with many stake holders.

It is tough to compare whether Nick or 501 or others got a great deal in comparison to mine because there are a lot of factors at play. Their "all in" price for their 2012 might have been 10K higher than mine with the same options as an example. Frankly, I don't need to know what they paid, because I know what I paid and I know my tolerance to risk and I've been given assurances that the boat will do what I want it to do. Trust me, if the boat doesn't perform to what I've been promised, you'll be seeing a postings of a new X30 in the factory for me in the fall of this year. I'm a betting man and I'd bet that won't be the case.

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 01-11-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
MC Devotee

My story is different. While jokingly looking at a 2013 my dealer through me an amazing trade-in number.

Here's my justification:

Savings:
-didn't have to pay the $500 service/winterization fee
-no winter storage
-didn't have to pay for a couple gel repairs
-was able to port over my extended warranty
-saved myself 4K for the aftermarket ballast system I was going to have put in, instead it will cost me 400 bucks
-2013 value added including new trailer, new aluminum accents, new Murphy controls, Zero Off, new platform, tracking fins
-get a new boat with 0 hours (make some money up on the back end as my future theoretical trade is worth more)
-add some options I wish I had on my 2012 (Sirius, low profile trailer, hot shower)
-avoid the possibility of having a hard time selling lest the 2012's be seen as a lemon year

So I still have to write a check but considering all of the above worth it IMO.