Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
.... Running any tires over five years old is working on borrowed time.
The guy I bought my boat from bragged about how awesome the tires looked and that they were original, from 1991!

I just laughed it off and bought new tires asap when I got it home. Glad it made it across town after the buy!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
The maintenance manual for Reliable Running Gear has a maintenance schedule on page 29 - http://www.reliablepmw.com/downloads...ear_manual.pdf
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
The guy I bought my boat from bragged about how awesome the tires looked and that they were original, from 1991!

I just laughed it off and bought new tires asap when I got it home. Glad it made it across town after the buy!
Original tires from 1991..................YIKES

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Maintance prob depends on how much you travel.

I trailer about 3-5k mi per year and the idea of working on the side of the highway or losing a day at the lake due to bearing issues is unacceptable.

I pull the bearing buddies every year to inspect for water intrusion (repack if found) and repack every 2yrs regardless.

As mentioned, brake fluid is hydroscopic. It will pickup water and rust your brake system from the inside out.
Get a kit like this - http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-f...der-92924.html
or this - http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac...ump-39522.html
On repack years, suck out fluid from resivior, add new then bleed brakes. It is a super easy one man job, especially with boat unloaded.

Spray tires with protectant twice a year, just like you would a car.

Last edited by bsloop; 01-13-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by byronic View Post
Kenora,originally called Rat Portage. Can't wait to hear that story.
Yup, there is a story. This place used to have 3 "towns/settlements/reserves"...Keewatin, Norman and Rat Portage. There was a flour mill at one time and they didn't like the name of the town as they thought it would hurt their sales of flour. So, the deep thinkers they were, took the first 2 letters of each of those "towns" to come up with Kenora.

There you go...you learn something new every day.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Red face Original tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Original tires from 1991..................YIKES
Not bragging and don't want to start any flamethrowing, but I just replaced the last two of what I believe are the original tires (Goodrich CLM ST) from my dual axle trailer on my '88 Tristar. I'm the second owner, but I've had the boat since '98 and I think they were still the original tires when I bought it. I don't trailer very far at all. The better of the two, and one rim that was rusty, is now the spare. I'm embarrassed.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
Yup, there is a story. This place used to have 3 "towns/settlements/reserves"...Keewatin, Norman and Rat Portage. There was a flour mill at one time and they didn't like the name of the town as they thought it would hurt their sales of flour. So, the deep thinkers they were, took the first 2 letters of each of those "towns" to come up with Kenora.

There you go...you learn something new every day.
www.gokenora.com if you want to take a look and see where medic buys his groceries at the safeway....
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyOrange88 View Post
Not bragging and don't want to start any flamethrowing, but I just replaced the last two of what I believe are the original tires (Goodrich CLM ST) from my dual axle trailer on my '88 Tristar. I'm the second owner, but I've had the boat since '98 and I think they were still the original tires when I bought it. I don't trailer very far at all. The better of the two, and one rim that was rusty, is now the spare. I'm embarrassed.
I guess you got your money out of the tires. Might consider picking up a used but serviceable spare to replace the antique. Watch craigslist for a deal. Nothing worse than needing a spare and find out it's flat or have it fail.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
1989 original tires

Bought my '89 Tristar from a guy last summer and he only used the trailer to put the boat in/out every year and it had the originals on it. He owns a body shop and said he could get a good deal on tire, so I paid his asking price in return for him having the tires done. When I went to pick the boat up, they clearly had the original tires on them and I was like - what's up with this?! He said, oh yeah I had my tire guy look at them and he said they were in "great shape", but they were clearly dry cracking. I said I don't think so, a deal is a deal. I had them replaced and he sent me a check. A man of his word after I held his feet to the flames...
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
Bought my '89 Tristar from a guy last summer and he only used the trailer to put the boat in/out every year and it had the originals on it. He owns a body shop and said he could get a good deal on tire, so I paid his asking price in return for him having the tires done. When I went to pick the boat up, they clearly had the original tires on them and I was like - what's up with this?! He said, oh yeah I had my tire guy look at them and he said they were in "great shape", but they were clearly dry cracking. I said I don't think so, a deal is a deal. I had them replaced and he sent me a check. A man of his word after I held his feet to the flames...
Always hate it when a perfectly fine transaction ends this way. Good for you to hold him to his word.

SPECIAL PRICE

Tags
mastercraft trailer