Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
Could I be so rude to ask how much that set you back? Please PM if you would rather not post here. Thanks.
I recently had Viper to do a 93 Prostar 190 for me. All new skins and carpet - $2,500. I'd rather have had the work done for a few hundred less but I was also wanting to get the work done (in lieu of me putting in the carpet) and move on. In talking with Viper Jim, he can be as flexible or rigid as he pleases. I got the impression from him that he prices work on the basis of work he has lined up and the need to get it done timely or not.

For an 85, in my opinion and from past information and knowledge from Viper, $1,500 - 1,800 for the 85 era interior. I have had countless number of this era boat, and skins should run no more than $1,600 in my opinion. There's not that much there to work. Carpet in an old school boat is easily re-done by the owner if you have time. Material is about $200.00. Remove the old carpet in tact and use it as a template to make the cuts in the new carpet. Done deal. Save about $300.00 in labor. Takes about half a day.

Another guy in the east TN area does good work but he is slow as Christmas coming, is to a five year old.

Viper did not lift my deck (where it sits on the floor ) and replace 100% of the carpet. They wedged new carpet under the deck and tucked the edges. They stopped at the driver's foot board and just beyond the (out of sight) passenger's seat. They did indeed remove the combing panels from the boat and re-carpeted up the sides. I noticed several cuts that were shaggy and lazy up around the foot panel and the kick panel that sits vertical beside the driver left leg. Very poor cuts. I'll end up taking that out and re-doing it myself. Also had to take the engine cover back off and put in vents they forgot to cut out.

I have taken my seats back to Viper (last week of November 2012) to have them re-stretch the skins to tighten up three places where the skins had creases in them from sagging in corners or curvatures; one on the engine cover, one on the rear seat, and one on the passenger seat. Waiting to get them back sometime in the next few weeks (hopefully).

$0.02 from my experience and results from this past September 2012 work from Viper.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 12-15-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlukens View Post
It cost twice as much as I was planing on. There was a lot more wood work than I knew about. I only bought the boat this summer. Its the same paint scheme as the first MC I ever skied behind, so I am kinda reliving the past. Its an old boat I'm making how I want it. All said and done including the carpet, $4000. I paid for quality workmanship. I still have less than $10,000 in one of the best tow boats ever made.
Thanks for the info. It looks very high quality.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 86 19' skier 351 PCM
That upholstery is just outstanding! I can see why you couldn't wait to see it in the boat. Really a nice layout on the design. Sometimes it's hard to appreciate a job that's not the same as origional,but you really nailed it. Is the back seat still foam and removable or did you remake with wood?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Skier 19
The back seat is still removable, its super light, so mostly foam I guess. The cushion has a strip of aluminum on the bottom to help hold it in place. I started putting in the new carpet today. I'm taking my time, I don't want it bubbling up half way through the summer. As far as the Packer truck in the background, its pretty much crap. It's my uncles, has not been out since the Favre era.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
But you never know when Favre may try to make a comeback. Best to be ready just in case.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:35 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
But you never know when Favre may try to make a comeback. Best to be ready just in case.
You got that right.
Attached Images

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes/ 1998 30th Anniversary Stars and Stripes
looks awesome.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Skier 19
Got the carpet in. Went with grey instead of the black that was in there. I really like it.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Got the carpet in. Went with grey instead of the black that was in there. I really like it.
Very nicely done. Should be a bit more comfortable.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Quote:
tlukens, what weight carpet did you use? Your interior looks great.