Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
You didn't say whether there is active ground water at or above your ftg elevation currently. If there isn't then you have less of a concern.
2' of rock above the drain tile is plenty. If you want to go higher with rock consider drain board on the fdn walls, certainly less labor and equipment cost than filling with rock.

What is the native soil? Unless it's clay you can use it to backfill even semi structural areas, garage slab, drivepad, etc as long as it's proper moisture and compaction. Think of it this way. Your entire house is sitting on a 2-3' wide ftg on that material (unless you sub exc'ed and bridged over the native material).
IMO the reasons most residential dirt guys push using structural fill everywhere are:
They make more by selling you fill and potentially hauling off the extra material. They make more by charging full labor rate to place and compact when placing granular material requires much less compactive effort and moisture control. They limit their liability for settlement when they don't do the above properly and you garage slab cracks and settles.

"premium fill" I'm guessing is not 100% granular material in your case, rather it's material that has a better R value than the native material there. You need to decide where that is absolutely necessary and where you can get away with native. Good example, use premium fill at the front of the garage where the subgrade will get continually pounded by your vehicles pulling in and out. But around the other 3 sides, how much load will the slab see?? Some tool boxes and workbenches is all. Maybe 1 side where the boat gets parked up close to the wall?

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
You are a wealth of knowledge Thrall and it is appreciated.
Our soil composition is mostly clay and we have water issues to speak of. I do plan to slope the grade away from the house naturally and cut in a slight swayle to catch any possible water that could come off the property bordering mine in the event of a huge storm (just never know with today's weather patterns). The waterproofing we went with has a 30 year warranty, now granted if an issue were to arise I am certain they would find every reason imaginable to deny the claim.

In terms of the garage fill, the clay would work great if I could get in there to compact it in levels but the risk of blowing out the walls is too great and the majority of the fill will be needed against the walls. I would try and fill the center area with clay and tamp it but by the time I do that I might as well spend the money on a little extra fill. We are looking at recycled vs. sand to see what would work better in terms of both time and money. With the sand I can have it slung in while the excavator supports the outside of the walls whereas with the recycled I have to have the excavator pick it and drop it inside then fill the outside and back and forth.....in other words what I may save on material I may spend in operator time, negating any savings.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:30 PM
MC Devotee

A expanded views of the house placement.

It's been aabout a week and we have not had any real changes as the weather moved in and the holidays approach. So, I took a couple big picture views of the land and home placement, so here you go.

Next up will be to move some dirt and backfill a little so that the framers can get in there to start working.

Happy Holidays to everyone.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 AM
MC Devotee

The framers are scheduled to start on the 2nd!

Well, the framers are set to begin on the 2nd despite the fact that we have not had a break in the weather to better prep the site. So, I plowed the drive yesterday and as you will see below, part of the drive won the battle! It was a bit of a wild ride as I slid off of the drive extension leading to the garage while hoping not to hit the foundation.......needless to say I will be shoveling this area in the future until I get the drive built up and stable!
OH, and when you are this far in, a 3/4 ton truck will not pull you out, it took a large JD farm tractor which pulled me like I was a toy...thank god for the local farmer!
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Well, the framers are set to begin on the 2nd despite the fact that we have not had a break in the weather to better prep the site. So, I plowed the drive yesterday and as you will see below, part of the drive won the battle! It was a bit of a wild ride as I slid off of the drive extension leading to the garage while hoping not to hit the foundation.......needless to say I will be shoveling this area in the future until I get the drive built up and stable!
OH, and when you are this far in, a 3/4 ton truck will not pull you out, it took a large JD farm tractor which pulled me like I was a toy...thank god for the local farmer!
Fyi...i have 800 feet of gravel drive and tack welded a slotted 2" schd 80 around my blade so I can avoid digging up gravel..skims over the top and no spring raking

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-30-2012, 09:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X1, RTP
Stuck or not.....the truck still looks good with the MC decal in the back window.

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
And I thought you was a professional .......

Sent from my wife's old iPad using Tapatalk....

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Fyi...i have 800 feet of gravel drive and tack welded a slotted 2" schd 80 around my blade so I can avoid digging up gravel..skims over the top and no spring raking

Don't know how this will work with your trip edge plow, but I ran a 2" urethane edge on my Boss V and it floated over the gravel in the lots we plowed. It is like butter when you plow and doesn't bang you up all night long.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

I had read about guys doing this and really never had a need before now but will be doing this soon. I planned to create slit the schedule 80 enough to slide over the cutting edge and then attach some nuts to it so that I can thread a bolt in against the cutting edge to hold it in place and make it easily removable once I am done with my drive.
We will see how it works!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
And I thought you was a professional .......

Sent from my wife's old iPad using Tapatalk....
I am a complete professional....when I get stuck it takes a big boy toy to get me out, no going half-way here, plus I do my own stunts! Josh was with me when this happened and enjoyed the ride but I think her loved it even more seeing the big tractor pull us out!