Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2012, 06:04 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Love my MCX by Indmar, but I'd love to see a diesel engine option in the V-drives that would cut my fuel useage and be reliable for a reasonable price. VW Toureg diesel, 5 cyll Dodge Sprinter diesel, Duramax, Cummins 5.9, old 7.3 Powerstroke or even a small CAT 3126 diesel would be nice. Better economy, longer engine life, less chance of explosion (which should result in lower insurance costs)
All the big cruisers have diesels so makes perfect sense for a heavy wakeboard boat (not for a ski boat)
Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Love my MCX by Indmar, but I'd love to see a diesel engine option in the V-drives that would cut my fuel useage and be reliable for a reasonable price. VW Toureg diesel, 5 cyll Dodge Sprinter diesel, Duramax, Cummins 5.9, old 7.3 Powerstroke or even a small CAT 3126 diesel would be nice. Better economy, longer engine life, less chance of explosion (which should result in lower insurance costs)
All the big cruisers have diesels so makes perfect sense for a heavy wakeboard boat (not for a ski boat)
Good point Jerseydave - not sure why diesel never took here in north america. We have the infrastructure...the newer engines don't spew the black...maybe it had to do with some politics and how fuel is refined. There's this resto the used a Steyr diesel - and a VW engine was available but more expensive.

There was a prototype for sale a while ago - not sure it sold...owner wanted way too much for it.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:59 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
Considering repower option for prostar 209 and learned That PCM is the only mfg thats computer will work with Zero off system. being that I don't care about perfect slalom course times and don't want to spend the xtra money for a New cruise control. I think I won't do an 8500.00 repower and will look at longblock options.

Edit: Just visited the Ilmore site and it looks like their ecu is compatible with Zero off also.
Indmar is compatible with ZO...

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Boat: X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Thrall noticed that you did not get a response. Wayzata Private Equity (Minnesota) manages both Ilmor and Mastercraft. The press releases claimed it was for differentiation - could be but I personally see it's purely financial by keeping the $$$ in the family.

Ilmor uses the GM Block iirc as well --

eack - only 7 months to get a reply for you ...
Actually Wayzata only owns MC. Ilmor (which owns Ilmor Marine) is partly owned by Roger Penske. In other words, Wayzata has nothing to do with Ilmor.

As for the reason for the switch, it really comes down to synergies between the two companies and our desire to work with someone who would exclusively handle our power plant needs. Because of the size of the industry, no one was willing to work exclusively with us until Ilmor decided they wanted to get into the marine business beyond high-performance powerboats (especially racing). It took over 2 years to develop the first engine with them but other than a few hiccups (mainly due to GM issues), we have had a wildly successful relationship with them. In fact, our power train warranties are down 85% after initiating Ilmor into the line up in 2011.

You will want to keep an eye on the Ilmor Marine bunch - they have a lot of exciting plans coming in the next few years. Needless to say, we will be happy to be partners with them for years to come.

And if you have the time, here are some Ilmor vids we just shot for the dealers...

ILMOR STORY:
http://vimeo.com/50227097

ILMOR 7.4L STORY:
http://vimeo.com/50226262

Jason
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
I had the Ilmor 5.7 in my 2012 X-30 and it was awesome. Not a single complaint or problem to speak of, just quality, reliability and power.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Actually Wayzata only owns MC. Ilmor (which owns Ilmor Marine) is partly owned by Roger Penske. In other words, Wayzata has nothing to do with Ilmor.

As for the reason for the switch, it really comes down to synergies between the two companies and our desire to work with someone who would exclusively handle our power plant needs. Because of the size of the industry, no one was willing to work exclusively with us until Ilmor decided they wanted to get into the marine business beyond high-performance powerboats (especially racing). It took over 2 years to develop the first engine with them but other than a few hiccups (mainly due to GM issues), we have had a wildly successful relationship with them. In fact, our power train warranties are down 85% after initiating Ilmor into the line up in 2011.

You will want to keep an eye on the Ilmor Marine bunch - they have a lot of exciting plans coming in the next few years. Needless to say, we will be happy to be partners with them for years to come.

And if you have the time, here are some Ilmor vids we just shot for the dealers...

ILMOR STORY:

ILMOR 7.4L STORY:

Jason
Dwon 85% - outstanding!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post

ILMOR STORY:

ILMOR 7.4L STORY:

Jason
Thanks for the clarification... my thought process was working from this article. http://www.boatingworld.com/Engines/Article/Ilmor

Posted: February 1, 2011

By: Alan Jones

The purest example of racing technology filtering down to the recreational sector is the Ilmor V-8 engines that are powering new MasterCraft boats. Started in 1984, Ilmor only built racing engines for cars and offshore boats prior to 2010. Company founders Mario Illien, Paul Morgan and Roger Penske, racing legend and the new owner of MasterCraft Boats, worked with Chevrolet to build a turbo­charged engine for Indy cars. Ilmor later teamed up with Mercedes Benz to build Formula 1 and Indy cars; shortly after, it joined forces with Penske Racing South to build motors for NASCAR. Mercedes Benz wanted to concentrate on F1, so it formed the Special Projects Group to handle all non-F1 ventures. The Special Projects Group was later purchased by Illien and Penske (Morgan died in a plane crash).

Ilmor first ventured into the marine market in 2002 by building a V-8 for the APBA SuperCat Series. Later it specialized in building ultra-reliable 10-cylinder models (a marinized Dodge Viper motor) with its own INDY Stern Drive system. Penske purchased MasterCraft in 2007, and it seemed natural that he use his 50,000-square-foot facility on the Penske Racing campus in Mooresville, N.C., to build the boats' engines. You can still order a MasterCraft with an Indmar engine, but starting in 2012, MasterCraft will end its 25-year relationship with the Millington, Tenn., engine builder. This year, there are three versions available: 5.7L, 6.0L and 6.2L; horsepower undisclosed.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
Considering repower option for prostar 209 and learned That PCM is the only mfg thats computer will work with Zero off system. being that I don't care about perfect slalom course times and don't want to spend the xtra money for a New cruise control. I think I won't do an 8500.00 repower and will look at longblock options.

Edit: Just visited the Ilmore site and it looks like their ecu is compatible with Zero off also.
that is not true. In order for your motor to be compatible with zero off it needs to have an Econtrols ECU. Econtrols is the company that makes zero off and since zero off integrates with the computer it only works with their brand. I have an indmar, with an econtrols module, and since they are a customer if mine I know they make module for most of the engine companies.

As of 2013, they are the only provider to Mastercraft(via Ilmor) they are also making the harnesses and the screens. Their Parent company is FW Murphy ( the Murphy System).