Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Clock Wiring question

I have gotten a hawk eye depth finder and have started to install it but before I started, I noted the wiring on the old clock. I have located the correct positive and negative wiring but was wondering two things. One was the two blue wires hooked into the bottom terminals of the clock. They look like they link to the fuel gauge as well but not really sure where they end up. The other is there is a red and a black wire that terminates at some kind of grey plug. I did not get a pic of this wire but will add one later. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am not an electrical person.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
My guess is that they are the switched B+ for the gauge illumination. The bulb socket is the opaque piece. One half contact the brass strip that is ground post via the stainless steel strap and threaded stud. The other half of the socket would be connected to those blue wires. They will daisy-chain from one gauge to the others.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I believe the blue wire is going to be for the instrument lights and is only hot when your lights are switched on.

One thing to consider is, the hot for your clock is always hot. You probably want your depth finder to shut off with the key like the other gauges.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 PM
MC Devotee

Yes, I found the correct wires I need to use and will just clip and label the one that keeps it on all the time. One orange wire for the ignition wired to my new red wire and the others will be daisy chained into the same as the fuel gauge to my new black wire.

I don't know why I didn't think about the lights. I guess the new gauge has the lights wired through the hot. Since I am disconnecting them, will this affect any of the other lights?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
be very careful which wire you clip -- cuz you never know when clipping wires..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KuGizBjDXo
Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Yes, I found the correct wires I need to use and will just clip and label the one that keeps it on all the time. One orange wire for the ignition wired to my new red wire and the others will be daisy chained into the same as the fuel gauge to my new black wire.

I don't know why I didn't think about the lights. I guess the new gauge has the lights wired through the hot. Since I am disconnecting them, will this affect any of the other lights?
Why would you need a new black wire? You already have one that was connected to the clock. By "red wire", do you mean the one on the new depth finder?

If anything, the other lights may be a little brighter because they'll lose a little bit of the original load.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post

Wow! Thankfully, I don't carry that much jet fuel with me anymore. I will probably just throw some electrical tape over the wire, in case I need it for something else, like a ballast pump switch.

@ JimN, the new gauge comes prewired with an in line fuse, with one red and one black wire. I will have to splice the red and blacks from the boat to the new gauge. I am not really too concerned with the brightness of the lights, as I rarely go out at night with my boat, but I do want to make sure they will work. When I go out at night, it is usually to go fishing on my Dad's pontoon. I was actually talking with my bro in law tonight about putting strip lighting in my boat, but thought about how rarely I would even use them, so I am not going to waste my time or money with it.

BTW, below is the connector from the random wire that terminated to nowhere. Any ideas? It has both a red and black coming out of the end, which were both connected to the clock.

Actually, come to think of it, there was something installed above the gauge cluster before I ever owned the boat. I bet it goes to the former depth finder or something similar.

Last edited by CC2MC; 12-24-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post

I remember that blast very well it was about 3 miles from my house. Never did get compensated for damage to my front window. Still feel for the 2 that lost there lives in that explosion. Changed the whole area since then.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:31 AM
MC Devotee

OK, taking two steps back. I found that the orange wire going to my ignition is hot all the time. After doing some reading on other threads, I think I have found a possible solution. Please tell me if I am on the right track here. I think I should hook the new gauge red wire to ignition purple wire, (instead of ignition orange wire) and gauge black wire to existing black wire. Will this let the gauge turn on with the ignition?

BTW, my key is not with the boat, bc I left it at the lake and have no good way to test. I will hopefully get it this weekend.

And Merry Christmas to everyone!

Last edited by CC2MC; 12-25-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Tags
clock, depth finder