Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Running a 1/2 ton pickup so its a Super V LD 8ft (straight cut wings). Have always used pistol grips...previous Western Pro had pistol grip too. Usually pushing in straight blade mode with an angle and stacking with V inward, only V outward on initial pass in really deep snow so tend to either alternate with angle buttons or V buttons.

Tell me more about the joystick features and how you plow/why you like it??

Got 6" of wet snow today and am going to take my wife out in a bit and teach her how to plow with the 60" straight blade on the UTV. Initial pass with this new toy before I had to come to the office to "work" tell me it will do a great job too. Bought it cuz when I travel my wife doesn't like plowing with my truck.
I rarely use mine in the true "V" mode unless I am doing a driveway or as you said, busting thru a deep drift or berm at an opening. I do a lot of commercial work and typically run the blade angled with the leading wing slightly ahead of the trailing wing which helps to carry more snow forward as opposed to peeling it off. Otherwise I run in a fairly wide scoop mode and finish by brining the wings in fully to scoop and stack.
The joystick is a small control with, obviously, a joystick in the center which controls up, down, left and right, then you have a single button which when held down will move both wings back into "V" mode allowing you to stop at any point and also a button taking it into "scoop" mode, again, allowing you to stop at any point. The other cool feature and the one I use most often is that on each side of the unit there is a simple dial to control each wing independently forward and back. All of these same functions are available on the pistol grip controller you have, I just founf myself always having to look at the multiple buttons to make sure I was pushing the right one and I felt in-efficient. The joystick, I feel, is much easier to use for my application. If all I was doing was driveways for friends and family, I probably would not invest the money in the joystick, so it all depends on your use I think.
Here are a couple of pics I took of the controller.

Good luck out there!
Attached Images

Last edited by jkski; 12-21-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM
MC Devotee

Just to get the thread back on track after I detoured it, here are some pics from a trip to the UP a couple of years ago with the old sleds. Man I hope we have a winter again this year!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 AM
MC Devotee

Going thru old pics and came across these. Some great scenery and always awesome memoiries.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
I rarely use mine in the true "V" mode unless I am doing a driveway or as you said, busting thru a deep drift or berm at an opening. I do a lot of commercial work and typically run the blade angled with the leading wing slightly ahead of the trailing wing which helps to carry more snow forward as opposed to peeling it off. Otherwise I run in a fairly wide scoop mode and finish by brining the wings in fully to scoop and stack.
The joystick is a small control with, obviously, a joystick in the center which controls up, down, left and right, then you have a single button which when held down will move both wings back into "V" mode allowing you to stop at any point and also a button taking it into "scoop" mode, again, allowing you to stop at any point. The other cool feature and the one I use most often is that on each side of the unit there is a simple dial to control each wing independently forward and back. All of these same functions are available on the pistol grip controller you have, I just founf myself always having to look at the multiple buttons to make sure I was pushing the right one and I felt in-efficient. The joystick, I feel, is much easier to use for my application. If all I was doing was driveways for friends and family, I probably would not invest the money in the joystick, so it all depends on your use I think.
Here are a couple of pics I took of the controller.

Good luck out there!
Probably what a guy is used to in the end. I like the pistol grip cuz it and gear shift go in my right. I shift and operate at the same time while steering w my left.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Will be home next week and post some sledding pics

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
gorgeous pics...
Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I go up to the UP at least once every year, mostly for skiing, but we occasionally get some sledding in. Here are some pictures of places to go / things to see in the Keweenaw peninsula, if you get up north of Houghton. They get a lot of snow up there. There's the Gay Bar (I was rocking 80's ski day that day), a different kind of sled race, and Lake Superior. The snow thermometer and last place on earth building are on the highway near Calumet, where you should also stop in at Shute's (don't remember the spelling) for a Moscow Mule.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Yes, Schutes rocks the Moscow Mules. That place is an old speak easy from the prohibition days. I grew up a Yooper.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
This is my sled for this year. 2013 Polaris Switchback Assault Retro 144
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190 (sold), 2003 Prostar 197 Tournament Team LQ9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I go up to the UP at least once every year, mostly for skiing, but we occasionally get some sledding in. Here are some pictures of places to go / things to see in the Keweenaw peninsula, if you get up north of Houghton. They get a lot of snow up there. There's the Gay Bar (I was rocking 80's ski day that day), a different kind of sled race, and Lake Superior. The snow thermometer and last place on earth building are on the highway near Calumet, where you should also stop in at Shute's (don't remember the spelling) for a Moscow Mule.
You also need to stop by the "Michigan House - Calumet MI"...great food and beer. Great place to warm up the belly during a sled trip.

edit: we're heading up there on thursday this week, hopefully it snows more!!!!!!!!!!!!! looking like Ishpeming has the goods right now.