Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 12-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Worthing skier's Avatar
Worthing skier Worthing skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
Location: West Sussex , sunny Worthing
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Yes there is a difference in distributors and cams with the different rotations.


The cam gear will be one or the other on the distributor and the cam itself is cut to a specific rotation.
Ok ,I did not think of that ,
so if I buy a new distributor as listed on ebay ,
I should then be able to just swap the drive gear from the old to new unit ?

Thanks

Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Worthing skier's Avatar
Worthing skier Worthing skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
Location: West Sussex , sunny Worthing
Posts: 213
Hi there

Thanks for the tip ,
I did try them for the gasket set but were a bit on the heavy side of pricing,
I will see if I can use the 1 I found on ebay and swap the drive gears .

kind rgds

Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing skier View Post
Ok ,I did not think of that ,
so if I buy a new distributor as listed on ebay ,
I should then be able to just swap the drive gear from the old to new unit ?

Thanks

Kevin
Hold on now, there is more to this. The cam drive gear in the two pictures has the same rotation. The drive gear is not zip zip zip easy to swap out. The little pressed in pin is the easy part in removing or installing the cam gear. The drive gear is pressed on to the distributor shaft, the brand of distributor will more than likely have a diameter specific cam gear (they are not generic shaft size diameter LH and RH gears), and the legnth of the shafts can be different.


After comparing the 2 distributors they appear to be the same. Same gear rotation, same size gear, and same legnth.

That's a good price on the eBay buy it now.

Contact seller for shipping
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Worthing skier's Avatar
Worthing skier Worthing skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
Location: West Sussex , sunny Worthing
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Hold on now, there is more to this. The cam drive gear in the two pictures has the same rotation. The drive gear is not zip zip zip easy to swap out. The little pressed in pin is the easy part in removing or installing the cam gear. The drive gear is pressed on to the distributor shaft, the brand of distributor will more than likely have a diameter specific cam gear (they are not generic shaft size diameter LH and RH gears), and the legnth of the shafts can be different.


After comparing the 2 distributors they appear to be the same. Same gear rotation, same size gear, and same legnth.

That's a good price on the eBay buy it now.

Contact seller for shipping

Thanks Kyle again ,

Just waiting on some shipping costs , but with the holidays now here it may slow things up a bit .
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 PM
lazyade lazyade is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Boat: '92 190 Prostar and the new project '05 X Star (Indmar 350 MCX)
Location: UK, Southeast
Posts: 72
Hey Worthing, me and a mate are in the middle of restoring a 2005 XStar, we have the GM 5.7 engine, but very similar to yours. When we stripped our downs it looked not too dissimilar to yours inside. We purchased a new engine from Michigan Motorz in the US, cost $2,300 or so. We also purchased an electrical pack, with new distributor, coil and HT leads. Shipping and taxes was about 800 on top. Way cheaper than from the UK, plus we now have a brand new long block with zero hours.
__________________
'92 190 Prostar 260hp Indmar.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Worthing skier's Avatar
Worthing skier Worthing skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
Location: West Sussex , sunny Worthing
Posts: 213
Well a bit of an update ,
heads now stripped down , all 8 inlet valves badly pitted so will need a set of inlet valves .
Block is also out , so next bit is to see whats been going on in side .

Kevin
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Worthing skier's Avatar
Worthing skier Worthing skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
Location: West Sussex , sunny Worthing
Posts: 213
Hi all

Next bit I am trying to sort is either a rebuild on the TBI or replace completely ,I have found this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=281048468686

Is this okay for my application , or can anyone advise on where to get any rebuild parts for it .

thanks

Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Worthing skier's Avatar
Worthing skier Worthing skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
Location: West Sussex , sunny Worthing
Posts: 213
Hello

I am still trying to find information on the TBI and injectors , does anyone know the part number for the injectors and also a supplier for a TBI gasket set and fuel pressure regulator .

Many thanks

Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 10,937
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing skier View Post
Hi all

Next bit I am trying to sort is either a rebuild on the TBI or replace completely ,I have found this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=281048468686

Is this okay for my application , or can anyone advise on where to get any rebuild parts for it .

thanks

Kevin
Looks identical to mine..
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 10,937
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing skier View Post
Hello

I am still trying to find information on the TBI and injectors , does anyone know the part number for the injectors and also a supplier for a TBI gasket set and fuel pressure regulator .

Many thanks

Kevin
Try summitracing.com they may be able to help.
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.