Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
96 Prostar 205 back seat

I recently purchased a '96 Prostar 205 that is in need of a little bit of work. It is missing the back seat, and I am curious as to what the frame was made out of? Also, if someone has one for sale, I would gladly take if off your hands. Condition of the vinyl would not matter as I am re-upholstering the interior anyways. I will probably have quite a few more questions as my project continues this winter. Someone unfortunately ran this boat in salt water, did not flush it, and let it sit for two years. The really bad part is that it had a flush kit on it. Anyways, I got it for a good price so I am looking forward to making it mine as I restore it. Any help on this back seat would be appreciated. Also, there is some type of what appears to be an aluminum floor behind the engine cover that has deteriorated. Does anyone know where I can get another one of these floor panels or the material so I can cut it to size? Thanks
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateau18 View Post
I recently purchased a '96 Prostar 205 that is in need of a little bit of work. It is missing the back seat, and I am curious as to what the frame was made out of? Also, if someone has one for sale, I would gladly take if off your hands. Condition of the vinyl would not matter as I am re-upholstering the interior anyways. I will probably have quite a few more questions as my project continues this winter. Someone unfortunately ran this boat in salt water, did not flush it, and let it sit for two years. The really bad part is that it had a flush kit on it. Anyways, I got it for a good price so I am looking forward to making it mine as I restore it. Any help on this back seat would be appreciated. Also, there is some type of what appears to be an aluminum floor behind the engine cover that has deteriorated. Does anyone know where I can get another one of these floor panels or the material so I can cut it to size? Thanks

my '91 PS 190 was a solid block of styrofoam....
Carlsonw has a thread for his Sportstar http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ight=back+seat

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM
TT Regular

Has anyone used this KingPlastic stuff? If so, do you think it would be suitable to replace the removable floor section behind the engine as well as used for the back seat substrate?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I'm not familiar with your model boat, but as far as the panel goes, you might be looking for aluminum sandwich panels. McMaster-Carr has a variety of choices. It's not too hard to work with. We've cut it with a Skil-saw and a jig saw. If I ever need to do the floors in my boat, I'm thinking about using panels like that. Would be expensive though!
G
Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the link, I was wondering what that material was. Mine is corroded and needs to be replaced. That stuff is exorbitantly expensive for what it is. Did you turn your blade around on your skil-saw before cutting it?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I don't think we did anything special to the blade, just cut slowly. We might have used a fine cut blade, like a plywood blade.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateau18 View Post
Do you have any photos of the back bench area ? I am in the middle of an entire rebuild of my back seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
I have heard of some using plywood coated in fiberglass resin for water resistance for the floor.

As for the back seat, Im not sure what my base is made of as it is completly covered. I think it is plywood too.

Here are a couple of pics that I have of '96 backseats. They are from two different boats. Note that one has blocks under the seat for support.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2012, 09:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 PS 205 5.7L 275 HP TBI
I had my seat made for me he used 3/4 Plywood and coated it with fiberglass. As the previous post said you need to support the center. It was a problem for a lot of 205 owners. On another note I have left my back seat in the garage for the lasty ear. It gives you alot more room behind the engine. WE boat behind the house so seating in not an issue.

Here are some pics in an older thread

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=29139&page=2

Tags
floor, restoration, subpar, upholstery