Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Tire Chains

Being a born and bred Georgia boy, I have 0 experience with tire chains.

We do get about one snow/ice storm a year, and when we do, I immediately head to the mountains with my fourwheelers. I have gotten myself in some sticky situations in the past, particularly with a trailer, and I'd like to have chains for the next time.

The chains would be going on either my '06 Tundra, or my dad's '04 Land Cruiser, both 4wd and stockish size tires. Unfortunately I know I won't be able to get one set of chains to work on these and my '74 Land Cruiser with 37's.

There are too many options to choose from. I'm not plowing, yet I don't want something too lightweight in case I decide to use the chains in some mud or off-road. Tell me what I should get!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
If available, try to buy a diamond pattern chain set. These are similar to what they use in the logging industry on skidders. Nothing holds up and grabs better.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Here's the ones I use - http://www.lacledechain.com/light-tr...rt-super-sport

There is a video there showing how they are installed. They install a little different than the cheap light weight chains - practice putting on chains before you are in the snow. It's no fun to fumble around unsure what to do when the tire is in the snow. Plus you really do need to check the fit because different tire treads will cause size differences.

Also get a small snow shovel as it is handy to have in bad weather if you expect deep snow. Something like this - http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/BKDT...id^17510033765

I have a 4wd Expedition. I've only had to "really" use the chains a few times. I go up into the mountains here a lot over the winter. The roads get ice on them a often. Chains help but better to go slow in bad conditions. I don't put the chains on unless the snow is really deep, otherwise your vehicle is taking a beating from the vibration.

I don't know if chains will help in mud. They may just dig your hole deeper and quicker, sinking you up to your axle/frame. No experience on my part there.

Last edited by GoneBoatN; 12-20-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Like ironhorse said, the diamond pattern are about the best, or v-bar chains.
Otherwise standard cross chains like you see on the Laclede site will do about anything you need them to do.
Just don't get cable chains, cheap lightweight, made for cars that climb a slick grade, not for chewing through the rough stuff or mud.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Why not just have good tires if the concern is mud or snow? I can see the merits of chains if you have to deal with a lot of ice.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Why not just have good tires if the concern is mud or snow? I can see the merits of chains if you have to deal with a lot of ice.
^^^^^

Also, doesn't the Landcruiser have a locking differentials and/or locking transfer case??

Chains can also create a lot of damage (especially to sheetmetal) if not installed correctly. Any you should re-check them periodically to be sure everything is still snug, too.

If you have some trophy truck with nice tires, the chains will leave some wear/rub marks if left on too long.

1994 205, LT1
Old 12-20-2012, 03:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I use these in the cam style:
http://www.lacledechain.com/traction...gletruckchains

Of coarse I only chain up when my studded mud tires aren't doing the trick. They have them for tires up to 40"
Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I used to have the '93 Land Cruiser below. It had winch, locking diffs and 35" All-terrains. It was our go-to snow/ice truck. Didn't hurt that it was a little rough around the edges so I didn't care if we slid into a tree or ditch.

If I am seriously wheeling, I am in my '74 Land Cruiser (37's, beadlocks, hydro steering locking diffs etc etc) but it is not suitable for the 2 hr drive to the mountains towing four wheelers.

The chains are really intended for the ice we get on the roads the day after it snows (re-freeze). I may carry them on hunting trips in case there is a real need to get through some nasty stuff, like to pull someone else out. '93 LC used to be the hunting truck, but this 'regular' pickup I have now is just not anywhere close to as capable.

Thanks for the tips, this is the sort of experience I was looking for.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2012, 05:13 PM
MC Devotee

Snow was a little deep on this trip.

Attached Images

Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM
MC Devotee

Not me, although I wish it was.
Attached Images