Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X Star 2004, Indmar MCX 5.7L
Indmar fuel pump fittings

I have recently purchased a 2004 Mastercraft X Star with 5.7L Indmar MCX engine.

The previous owners have made quite a few changes to the boat and I am trying to restore it to it's original set up. The fuel system had been ripped apart so I am trying to get the original pump back in.

I have already purchased this Indmar fuel pump: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=55-6014

Unfortuantely I can't fit the pump in because the wiring harness and fule line connectors have been changed. The plastic hanger that holds the pump has also gone. Really I need all the parts below the stainless steel plate, apart from the pump.

This is what the fuel system should look like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastercraft-...item19cbdf1994

I have attached some pictures above of my current fuel system, and you will see it is a mess.

I have tried to contact, Skidim, Carter, Federal Mogual, Indmar and a few car accessorie shops and nobody seems to be able to help. Anyone got any idea where I can find all these parts?

Kind Regards

Jamie Sarsam
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I believe you need this part - not the skidim.com part.

http://www.waterskis.com/155183-p/ma...l_pump_183.htm
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
Why so much rust?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks mikeg205, that is the part I need, but I already have the pump, I just need the rest of the module bits that are inside the tank. The pump is the most expensive part so I was hoping I could get the other bits seperately, even from an old boat somewhere. If I can't find them, then I guess I will have to buy the module and keep the other pump as a spare, but it ain't cheap!

Snork, the rust must have come from condensation in the tank, the previous owners had it sitting outside for a few years before they sold it to me, I have cleaned it up now but it has been a mission. The vinyl was all cracked and moldy and the engine was rusty with parts corroded. I live in Thailand and there arn't many available and certainly not in my price range, so I bought it cheap and have been slowly fixing it up over the last 2 years, but pretty sure the pump is lacking power, it struggles with weight in it and I can't get over 30mph.

Do you know if I can get the connectors for the actual fuel pump from a car parts store? The connections are all metric over here so nothing fits, I could probably knock something up if I could get the fuel hose attached and the female 12v connector to the pump.

Thanks for the replies
Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'm not an expert on the 04 as I have not owned an 04 but based on what you have it would appear you have an "in tank" fuel system like the current model boats. The pump you ordered from SKIDIM would appear to be the external pump that was mounted on the front of the engine block. I had this set up on my 95 Maristar. The general condition of that fuel assembly would tend to make me want to replace it completely but then again I get nervous with fuel systems in boats having experienced a fuel related fire while on a boat.

If you indeed have the in tank fuel system there's a great tread on this site called Fuel Pump 101

http://press.mastercraft.com/teamtal...ad.php?t=25783

that I would highly recommend for anyone looking to work on this fuel system. A quick skim of the tread resulted in mention of systems from 05 and 06 but I didn't see any mention of an 04 in there. Depending on which system you actually have you may be able to source the correct parts from several sources. Skidim is good but you may be able to find a better deal from an Ebay source such as Great Lakes Skipper that buys up over stock items. Anyway you look at it, it would appear you have a bit more research to do if you want to put everything back to stock and like new condition.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: EPIC 23v
These pump assemblies are exclusively manufactured by Federal Mogual for MasterCraft and Indmar have nothing to do with them (other than getting petrol from them). From memory so don't quote me I recall that they were first used around 2004 (seen them in the pickle Xstars from that era 05 model year??) and are still used today. This also means that you cannot buy components for them from anyone other than a MasterCraft dealer or obviously 2nd hand. The corrosion is caused by moisture in the fuel tank and the easiest way to reduce the chances of this happening this is to always fill the tank when you have finished using the boat.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I want to do my own fuel system, I could replce the whole modlue with the original but from that fuelpump101 link bturner2 posted, it looks like the original system has problems anyway. So if I just get the right in tank fuel pump I should be able to connect is straight to the regulator and it would work ok.

Do you know the correct ratings I need for the pump, from what I have found I think it is 45 GPH at 95psi? Can anyone confirm that.

On another note, becuase I didn' trust the ****ty plastic filter and was worried about moisture in the tank that I might not have been able to get out, I put an inline Racor filter and water seperator. I have since read this might cause problems with getting air in a fuel injected system, I can't see how this would happen but your opinions would be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaiwake View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I want to do my own fuel system, I could replce the whole modlue with the original but from that fuelpump101 link bturner2 posted, it looks like the original system has problems anyway. So if I just get the right in tank fuel pump I should be able to connect is straight to the regulator and it would work ok.

Do you know the correct ratings I need for the pump, from what I have found I think it is 45 GPH at 95psi? Can anyone confirm that.

On another note, becuase I didn' trust the ****ty plastic filter and was worried about moisture in the tank that I might not have been able to get out, I put an inline Racor filter and water seperator. I have since read this might cause problems with getting air in a fuel injected system, I can't see how this would happen but your opinions would be appreciated.

Thaiwake - looking forward to your solution. That's the one thing I would like to learn more of. The pump you bought is a too stage pump which you can also buy at Napaonline...not available at most Napa shops and is about half the price. would love to know the setup and how you setup and manage the return fuel system...lots of pic please..

Tags
connectors, fittings, fuel, pump, wiring