Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
good catch

typically, just pulled radiator hoses
Exactly what I normally do too. The floor catches a lot and then the good ole mop gets to do some more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Electric blanket and battery tender!! All you need!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC197 View Post
Electric blanket and battery tender!! All you need!
But you still have to jack with a dang extention cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Couple of things.

Kyle, over time, I would completely unscrew those valves and let some of the rust particles out, particularly if they aren't flowing like they were on they day you first installed them. I don't trust petcocks either and have personally seen them get clogged. The reduction to barb would cause my CCOCD to stand up like hackles.

Milk has a point about the pockets, but Kyle's ice tray example has merit. When I winterize, even now that I am draining and pouring in antifreeze (I dry blocked before), I always pulled the boat around on the trailer and hit a few hills on the way. I had inexplicably put the bilge plug in once after draining and you'd be surprised how much water was left in there after a short drive. The water may have room to expand, but I'm not comfortable enough with the nooks and crannies in my block to make that bet. If you're stored inside, the odds of a hard freeze in Texas for your boat isn't enormous. Maybe just raise the trailer jack up to its highest point, then work it down to its lowest point to see if you can encourage any flow of whatever might be left in there.

Cranking the engine with the lanyard pulled will definitely kick the water out of the pump housing on an Indmar engine and is recommended. Those pump housing walls aren't as thick as the blocks. Not sure how much it does for the other nooks and crannies.

Last thing to remember is that the boats stored over water somehow (I forget how) stay a bit warmer than boats stored outdoors over dry land. Thermal mass of the lake or something. Makes sense.

Last, last thing is the old saying that is probably true that most frozen boat blocks happen in the south because people are always trying to avoid winterizing.

My preference is to winterize, declare an off season, and brew beer. Nearly 10 years of boat ownership and counting without a frozen block.

Good luck.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 12-12-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
I had those valves from Skidim. My thought was to make winterizing a snap

My experience was that they clog very easily with silt and scale. The passages around the valves are very narrow. I wound up removing them every winter which sort of defeated the purpose.

If you do use them, make sure to poke a wire up in them to break up any potential blockages.

Im sure it depends on the lake conditions where you use your boat but after trying them, I'm not a fan.

Last edited by Jorski; 12-16-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Man, after reading this thread, I am a little nervous of my LT-1 block, which I drained. Just worried about potential pockets now, as I have not run antifreeze through.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Man, after reading this thread, I am a little nervous of my LT-1 block, which I drained. Just worried about potential pockets now, as I have not run antifreeze through.
It'll be fine. Just kick the water out of the water pump by bumping the throttle with the safety lanyard pulled. Raise and lower the trailer jack if you like. You'll be fine.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
CC2MC

If you got all of the the drains out you should be fine.

I have winterized my LT-1 without antifreeze for ten years without a problem.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Same here. Have dry blocked my LT-1 and now MCX since 2003 without issue.
I agree about not trusting the petcocks on the block drains though. They get plugged pretty easily. Better to unscrew them completely from the block.

To the OP, just drain the water for the short time in the winter where there's a chance of freezing. Safe and relatively easy. Even easier if it's a DD boat.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN