Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 TT
O'Neill Boost Drysuit Sizing....

After buying my first Mastercraft this past October, I'm anxious to get out on the water as early as possible next spring. I have been researching drysuits and have narrowed the selection down to the O'Neill Boost and the Barefoot International Seipel drysuit.

I will be primarily using it for slalom skiing and rarely playing around on a wakeboard, but not barefooting. I may go in halves with a friend of mine that I slalom with due to the cost. Since we would be sharing, the ease with which the suit can be taken off and put back on becomes an important feature. Based upon the reviews and forum threads which I have read, the O'Neill Boost seems to be the best choice.

My question is in regards to the best size to purchase. I am 6'2", 175 lbs. My friend is about 6' and around the same weight. The O'Neill sizing chart that typically accompanies the drysuit listing is actually a wetsuit sizing chart. By that chart, a large tall would probably be the correct size. After a fairly exhaustive search, I cannot find any new large tall Boost drysuits out there (only one used one on eBay that looks to be several years old). I'm not even sure if the LT is made anymore. I could order an XL, but I don't want the suit to be too baggy in the midsection.

So I'd be interested in hearing some feedback from anyone who owns a L or XL O'Neill Boost that has a similar height/build. Is the large restrictive in any way for someone 6'2", or does it ride up on the ankles or wrists? Would the XL be too baggy around the midsection and cause too much wind resistance at slalom speeds? Also, does anyone know if there are any LT suits out there? Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Go with one that fits a guy who is 6'-3" and weighs 225 pounds, that way I can wear it too!!

So, your hoping for an early start huh? You need to get that suite and use it one of these weekends we have 60 degrees, like yesterday.... You may also want to have it ready for January 19th. There is talk of hitting the lake during the BHM Open House that weekend. Weather permitting....

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-17-2012, 04:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
I own 2 different baggy suits, a BFI and a BARE and for what it is worth, if I had to do it over I would buy a tighter fitting one for slalom. The issue becomes trapped air and if you take a good fall, the air has to escape so it will blow out thru the seal and you get wet. That being said, if you make certain to keep the seals higher on your calf (not around the ankle) you will get a better/tighter fit.

As for sharing, while it sounds like a good idea, make sure you have an agreement for who will be paying to replace the seals when they are ripped because it is not a matter of if rather when. The seals are very tight when you first get any drysuit and they stretch over time. As you are putting it off and on, expecially in cold weather where you tend to lose some dexterity, it is very easy to rip a seal. The BFI seals are longer, really tight and fit great but also tend to be more expensive to replace due to the neoprene overlay. If you are not going to be footing in it, scratch the BFI from your list altogether.
Just a tip on keeping your seals in good shape....treat them with 303 protectant and keep them out of the sunlight. When the suit is not in use and is dry, store it wrapped up in a sealed plastic bag. The 303 will also help you slide in and out of the seals when the time comes.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
I have a boost and went with the large. I am 5'11 and 175 lbs and wouldn't go smaller due to length. Fits ok to me.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Glastron, CSS-16, 1989, Evinrude 120
Used Boost with some sizing reference: http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...t&postid=21793

Sharing a dry suit doesn't sound like a good idea to me. In cool weather I put on my suit at home, drive to the lake to ski. Wear it while driving, skiing, driving, skiing, driving, skiing.... Taking it on and off would take too much time and result it being cold.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Go with one that fits a guy who is 6'-3" and weighs 225 pounds, that way I can wear it too!!

So, your hoping for an early start huh? You need to get that suite and use it one of these weekends we have 60 degrees, like yesterday.... You may also want to have it ready for January 19th. There is talk of hitting the lake during the BHM Open House that weekend. Weather permitting....
Looks like we missed our opportunity for the 60 degree days...

I was thinking more of a late March/early April start, but if you are going to hit the water in January, you'll earn my respect!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
I own 2 different baggy suits, a BFI and a BARE and for what it is worth, if I had to do it over I would buy a tighter fitting one for slalom. The issue becomes trapped air and if you take a good fall, the air has to escape so it will blow out thru the seal and you get wet. That being said, if you make certain to keep the seals higher on your calf (not around the ankle) you will get a better/tighter fit.

As for sharing, while it sounds like a good idea, make sure you have an agreement for who will be paying to replace the seals when they are ripped because it is not a matter of if rather when. The seals are very tight when you first get any drysuit and they stretch over time. As you are putting it off and on, expecially in cold weather where you tend to lose some dexterity, it is very easy to rip a seal. The BFI seals are longer, really tight and fit great but also tend to be more expensive to replace due to the neoprene overlay. If you are not going to be footing in it, scratch the BFI from your list altogether.
Just a tip on keeping your seals in good shape....treat them with 303 protectant and keep them out of the sunlight. When the suit is not in use and is dry, store it wrapped up in a sealed plastic bag. The 303 will also help you slide in and out of the seals when the time comes.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice on the seals. I had planned on using a silicone-based "Seal Saver", but from what I have read on 303's website, it may actually be a better product for this purpose.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
For what it's worth I bought a new drysuit last year. I looked at the Boost also, but went with the hybrid because most of my early season skiing is slalom also. I had a baggy style and the hybrid felt like less drag in the water. No problem staying warm with the hybrid. I believe I bought a L size. I actually went to the dealer and tried them on before buying the suit.
So I guess the real message from me here is to go to the dealer and try them on before deciding what size/style you should get. Fit of a suit is a persoanal preference, not an on-line survey. You don't want to make a $400+ mistake.